All reviews train station main station hotel is located single room excellent location minute walk great shower standard room four nights mini bar per day city centre marienplatz armchairs immigrants roomy oktoberfest
Reviewed 12 November 2016

I booked this through booking.com and it had been recommended by my travel agent as well. The prices were good and the location, while in what appears to be a sketchy neighborhood, was convenient to the train station and to Marienplatz. I had attempted to confirm my reservation directly with the hotel and they had been rude when I called and was told to call back when reservations was open because they were too busy at the front desk to look it up.

When we arrived they had my friend's reservation (which was made under my name) but not our reservation, but they informed us they had plenty of rooms. It took a long time. I had booked my friend the larger "single" room and she was given the smaller room but charged the larger rate. Our room was clean, but small which is the norm in most of Europe. We were out of soap (which is liquid in a dispenser) in the shower, so I called down to ask for more because I could not remove the squeeze bottle in the shower and replace it with the one from the sink. It was brought up promptly, but when I asked to have it put in the shower, I was informed they didn't know how and to figure it out.

The neighborhood is sketchy and can feel unsafe, but that is more personal beliefs than reality. There are some very nice coffee houses within 4 or 5 minutes of the hotel that provide an inexpensive continental breakfast as opposed to the 15 Euro charge for breakfast at the hotel.

Marienplatz is about a 15 to 20 minute walk and it is about three blocks to Karlsplatz and the open pedestrian mall. It is not an awful place, but the front desk is decidedly unfriendly or just very Germanic. I did not feel we were welcomed guests, just more bodies coming through.

Room Tip: Good luck getting anything you want from the front desk
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Max R, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Drei Loewen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2017

Dear guest, we are unhappy to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We have discussed this comment you made internally and can assure you that we have taken measures to improve the mentioned topics. We wish you a great 2017 and hope to be able to get in touch for a second stay to convince you completely of our hotel, staff and services. Your 3 Löwen Hotel Münch

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

Stayed there for four nights with a group of friends and we had a fantastic time. Front desk was wonderful. The bahn was a two minute walk from the hotel and Marienplatz was about 10 min walk. Great hotel!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends

Dear guest, we are very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel so much. Service and comfort lived up to your expectations, that is a great compliment for us and all staff. We would be happy to welcome you back soon in the heart of Munich, Your Hotel 3 Löwen Team

Reviewed 27 October 2016

I am a frequent traveler for business and the Hotel Drei Löwen was one the worst hotel experiences I have ever had with the worst hotel manager I have ever encountered. I booked a room at the hotel for the last weekend of the Oktoberfest. After a very exhausting trip to Munich, I arrived at the hotel to be told by reception that they couldn't find my reservation. Obviously, I was disappointed, but things like this happen from time-to-time and usually the manager can help resolve the situation. This, however, was absolutely NOT the case at the Hotel Drei Löwen... When the manager arrived at the desk, she looked though their reservations and then rudely told me that I didn't make a reservation. I was completely flabbergasted by her rudeness and for the record we were speaking German so this wasn't an issue of her English being bad. I paused for a moment and told her that I have a booking confirmation. She bluntly asked to see it. When I pulled out my laptop and showed it to her, she looked at it and then in an even ruder tone asked me why I didn't have it printed out. Again, I was blown away by her rudeness. She then told in a matter-of-fact tone that I should have booked from their hotel directly. At this point, I had to laugh. I told her that the only reason I knew her hotel existed was because it was on Priceline.com, the website I used to book the room.

Unfortunately, my experience only gets worse from here. The manager called another hotel and told me (with the other hotel on the line) that I could have a room for 167 euro. When I started to ask her which hotel it is and where it is located, she interrupted me and said she needs an answer right then. Of course, I said no seeing as I had no information about the other hotel and I had already prepaid over 200 euro a night at the Hotel Drei Löwen. When the manager hung up, she asked me why I said no to the room. I told her she gave me no information about the other hotel and that I chose her hotel because it is close to where a group of my friends are staying. In an angry tone she loudly tells me that I should just trust her. I tell her that I want to call Priceline.com and that we can resolve the problem with them. She then just walks away.

This is where my experience it gets even worse (and weirder). I ask the receptionist to use their phone to call Priceline and the girl nicely hands me the phone. As I am on hold the manager returns and asks what I am doing. I told her that I am on the line with Priceline. She walks away again. Once I was able to connect with the customer service, I explained the situation to them and they asked to speak directly to the manager. The receptionist got the manager and after less than a minute on the phone, she told the customer service rep in English "I can't really understand your English. I have to go." then handed me back the phone and walked away. The customer service representative told me that he had never experienced anything like that before and he began looking for a replacement hotel for me. After a couple of minutes, the manager returns to reception and tells me I can no longer use one of their phones lines and that I need to use my cell phone. I showed her that my cell phone was not working in Germany and told her I needed to get this issue resolved. She walked away for another 2 minutes before returning to the lobby and telling me that if I don't get off the phone she will hang up. I get a direct number for customer service and then I am forced to end the call. I then ask the manager, what I am supposed to do now? She told me to take the other hotel so at least I will have a roof over my head. I ask where it is and she says very close. With no other options, I agree. She then calls the other hotel again and I overhear her say "oh, which location is this?", which was the first red flag. She then writes down the address and tells me to find a taxi outside, the second red flag for a "nearby" hotel. Once I am in the taxi, I ask the driver if the hotel is far away. He tells me it is a 15-20 minute subway ride from my old hotel! I realized the manager completely lied to my face. I asked the taxi driver to pull over at the next hotel he sees. I walk into the reception of the hotel I wasn't even staying at, explained the situation, and the kindly let me use their phone to call customer service at Priceline and get a new hotel booked, even though I wasn't staying or going to stay at that hotel.

If you are thinking about booking a room at the Hotel Drei Löwen, think twice. When Munich isn't busy, you aren't likely to have the same issue I had, but if anything does happen, you don't want to have rude and dishonest managers who don't care about their guests. And, obviously AVOID BOOKING AT ALL COSTS DURING THE OKTOBERFEST. It simply isn't worth the risk.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jonathan S

Dear guest, we would like to express our deep dissatisfaction with your comments. We have already seen your comments on Google and are investigating the incident and will get back to you if we found out what exactly went wrong. We admittingly are are not too familiar with discount booking providers like Priceline but assure you that this experience is being discussed internally in order to avoid negative expereinces like your in the future. We are used to get positive feedback and take this incident an incentive to become better. Priceline is a discount provider and we are not familiar with these kind of platforms, since we usually aim for a more upscale target of platforms. All the best greetings, Your 3 Löwen Team

Reviewed 25 October 2016 via mobile

Mold an walls, dirty walls, aircon control is from 20 years ago, door handle broken, 2 single beds instead of one double bed as booked, reception staff not interested when i mentioned the room quality, NOT a 4*STAR hotel at all, don't recommend. Extraordinary bad experience

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Dani P

Dear guest, we apologize for any inconvenienece, but are you sure you were at our hotel? We are everything else other than what you mentioned in your comment. Could you please validate the name of the reservation and the date you stayed at this hotel? Best regards and we hope to get this sorted out. Your Hotel 3 Löwen Team

Reviewed 24 October 2016

Room Tip: It's better to get a room on floor 4 so it's quiet. On the top floor 5 the ceiling is lower in one side toward the window so if you aren't careful you might hit your head to the ceiling.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Amoma.com