“A pleasant surprise in a pretty seedy part of Munich.”

Hotel Deutsches Theater Stadtmitte
Ranked #349 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I chose this hotel because it is in walking distance of the main train station and terribly convenient. The building is located in a very seedy street, but it is a gracious old hotel. The staff couldn't be more delightful and helpful and the room we had was incredibly generous in size. Didn't eat there. The proximity to a busy street would make it too noisy to leave the windows open. Marienplatz is about 15 mins walk away and there are many lovely places to eat along that route. Very handy to all public transport. About a 70 euro cab trip to the airport.

Room Tip: Just ask for a good room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 May 2011

The location of this hotel is very good, but it is gennerally run down and the service leaves much to be desired.

I arrived early and waited a couple of minutes for Rehan, the young female receptionist to keep prattling on her cell phone in Turkish. She clearly had no intention of paying attention to me until I made my presence known. Then Rehan told me there was no room ready, which was fine, as it was early in the morning. She had me do the paperwork and said it was OK to leave the luggage. The only challenge is that they have no secure area for the luggage and the reception area is very small. I left the suitcase by her desk, and informed her that I would be coming back very late that day.

When I came back later that evening, the elderly gentleman was pulling double duty, tending to the bar and minding the reception area. After he was able to tear himself away from the bar, he was totally unable to find my room and booking. He was quite positive that the hotel was totally booked and there was no room for me, which totally baffled me, as I had made the reservation months ahead, and had checked in that morning, with my luggage sitting there in the lobby.

He kept trying to leave me there so he could go and attend to his bar customers. I was finally able to convince him to look really hard, and he found my room. The room was at the top floor, which meant I had to carry the suitcase up a flight of stairs through rather desolate hallways. The room was very basic. The hotel would really benefit from a major renovation. There are much better hotels in the same area, so I would choose another one.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JasmineMarti
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and I have to say I really appreciate all the reviews. We loved this hotel. The older gentleman who was the night clerk was extremely helpful. We stayed on the 5th floor so we had to take the elevator to the 4th floor and walk up one flight of steps - not a big deal. The room was neat and clean. It viewed the main street and with the snow falling it was beautiful. I have already recommended this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tillmanism
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in July and we were pleased with the services it provide.

The location was almost perfect. We were able to walk to all major sights in Munich during our stay (except the Olympic Stadium and the Schloss Nymphenburg; there is a metro station and a tram station very close to the hotel). Although the area at nights made us sometimes feel not so safe to walk through...

The room and the bathroom were spacious enough and very clean. We liked the breakfast ( we felt that nothing was missing).

Upon our arrival at the reception desk there was a young woman. She wasn't friendly or professional at all. Didn't even informed us about the hours the breakfast was served.. But the older man in the afternoon was great. He was very helpful with everything we asked.

The only things we didn't like: were the constructions taking place just outside the hotel and the fact that the reception closes at night so you have to get in with your own key from a door at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ellethwen
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in December. We were very happy with the value for money. We were in a five bed room that backed on to the scaffolding mentioned in a previous review. There was no work being carried out while we were there. Otherwise, I could imagine it would be quite noisy in addition to a lack of privacy. We had almost no noise at all because we faced the "under renovation theatre in the back of the building".

The room was spacious compared to other similar set ups we experienced. The toilet was smelly with that urine in the grout type of smell. The toilet was slightly removed from the beds, so it was only an issue when we were in there. The sheets were clean and everything else was fine. It was very convenient and we would stay there again. One point to keep in mind, there is no wifi. This is a bit of a pain. Also, no bar fridge. But, value for money was terrific. The service was not very friendly, but the girl allowed a slightly late check out to fit in with our plans. They were quite flexible. You can eat breakfast in the cafe downstairs. We chose to take care of our own breakfast. Oh, and the lift is tiny and fits on three people in at a time....fine for short trips.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family