“great steaks”

Ranked #12 of 334 Restaurants in Erlangen
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2016

Ate here a couple of times. Steak is always good - the meat quality is really good and cooked on an open fire gives is a great flavor. I can recommend the chateaubriand for 2 people..... awesome dish to share with loads of veg.
Service is normal for a German restaurant, i.e. don't expect it to be quick, but you get used to that.

Reviewed 10 April 2016 via mobile

Extreeeemly slow service, not traditional German as advertised, average food quality, uninviting environment.. Will not come again

1  Thank Alin S
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

We went to this restaurant as our first choice was closed. How lucky we were. The food was really excellent. I eat a lot of steaks therefore I think l can judge the quality. And the steaks at Schlotfeger are really great. I had a rib-eye steak and it was just perfectly grilled. By the way they have front cooking and a charcoal grill. Great choice!

Reviewed 23 January 2016 via mobile

Found this restaurant via tripadvisor in December when searching for an alternative to my favorite. The reviews made me curious, so I went. This is the third time in 4 weeks that I have been back - that speaks for itself!

But some more detail for you:

"Food"
One disclaimer: I have had the same thing three times: a 500g el grande rump steak. With spinach. Nothing else. I send the spiced butter back. The thing rocks; I order it medium and it came picture perfect three times. Crusty outside, nice and tender inside. EXACTLY the way I want a steak.

"Setting"
When I first entered, I have to admit that the setting and the decor struck me as "unusual". I probably would have not entered if the reviews had not been that good. As of now, I value the steak so much that I do not care anymore too much for the furniture etc.

Reviewed 16 January 2016 via mobile

Visited the place with a few colleagues on a belated Xmas dinner.

Firstly, they had seemingly lost the reservation. So we changed tables 3 times in order to be able to accommodate the size of our group. The menus came and despite half the group not speaking German, we received only German menu's. No big deal, as people helped each other.

Upon ordering the main, we had one waitress, who didn't really appear to pay attention as some things were ordered didn't come or came twice. In my case I missed one side. But oh well... So onto the food.

Starter was muscles, which are removed from the shell. For the most part it was good but a few clear had small parts of the shell attached, which ruined the enjoyment at the end.

The steak itself was good but nothing to write home about. The sides I ordered weren't that great. Broccoli was soggy on one side and drowned in Hollandaise sauce and fried potato slices weren't fried enough. In general it was 5/10.

When it came to determining if we wanted a desert suddenly an English menu appeared. I didn't take desert but my colleagues who did said it was ok.

I took an espresso, which was ok, but lacked the small amount of water I like to have with it. Am I picky? Perhaps, but this is what I'm used to.

Would I go again? Maybe, but I'd first try other similar restaurants in the neighbourhood before venturing back.

Also don't be deceived, the place is pretty big inside and can accommodate a lot of people. The place wraps around the centre bar although this isn't clear when you step inside. The main door to the restaurant is ominous, and isn't labelled at all. It is the plain door on the left when you first walk in.