Nationalparkzentrum - Haus der Berge
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Far more than dusty old stuffed animals!!

We parked in the car park opposite the museum, which was only €1 for two hours. Entry to the... read more

Reviewed 25 September 2018
HBB85
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Berchtesgaden and vicinity are beyond beautiful

We spent six days in beautiful Berchtesgaden but didn't go to the National Park Center. There was... read more

Reviewed 29 August 2018
Carol K
New York City, New York

Recommended experiences in and around Berchtesgaden
from US$ 782.00
from US$ 62.60
from US$ 579.30
from US$ 114.70
More Info
All reviews national park flora and fauna stuffed animals hiking routes eagles nest boat tour amazing views audio guide konigsee nature hike weather salzburg snow alpine valley exhibition
Reviewed 21 January 2017

We'd visited Berchtesgaden on several occasions in summer and never quiet made time for Haus der Berge. However, when we visted for two snowy weeks in January, it seemed like the perfect way to spend a very snowy Sunday afternoon.
We didn't expect much - although the building is interesting from the outside, it looks like it might be more style than substance. However, this simply isn't true. It's a brilliant museum. The main exhibition is an introduction to the geography of the Alps - from flora and fauna, to geology, weather, ecosystems and human impact. They even manage to use the stuffed animals to very good effect - spotting small birds in the wooden trees and coming face to face with otters, deer and others was both fun and educational. We learnt a lot and found we didn't want to skip anything. Just as you start to feel you might have seen enough stuffed animals and read enough information boards, you find yourself in the caves and mountain walk part of the experience - a wooden mountain structure allows you to explore dark 'cave' areas with a torch to find out about the wildlife and geology of alpine caves, then you can climb up several levels to find out more about plants and animals at altitude.
It is highly recommended that you watch the film in the last section of the exhibition - a stunning film of local weather, wildlife and scenery, with a surprise midway through that really puts the museum in its context. Brilliant.
There are also some interesting exhibits outside of the main exhibition - about the people of the area, local walking trails etc. and a temporary exhibition space which had a photography display when we visited. We loved the 3D map of the local area, with buttons to light up walking trails, mountain huts etc.
And the cafe is also highly recommended. Speiseberger's has been in Berchtesgaden for many years and has a justifiably good reputation. Also worth bearing in mind that the cafe can be visited without buying tickets for the museum!
We would highly recommend the whole experience. But leave plenty of time - at least 3 hours, including coffee and cake!

Date of experience: January 2017
2  Thank Rebecca B
Reviewed 14 January 2017

With brilliant interactive exhibits packed into a relatively small space, this is a super way to spend a couple of hours with the family. And at 10 euros for a family of 4 it certainly won't break the bank. A great modern museum experience!

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2016

With me and my father being world war two history buffs, and my father serving in Germany during the 70's guarding Rudolf Hess, we love sightseeing world war 2 relics. We went on a trip for my 21st to Munich for Oktoberfest and decided to trek 3 hours there and 3 back to see the infamous, Eagles Nest atop a peak. What awe was in store for us, we went on a tour I shamefully cannot remember, but I remember the HQ being near the train station across a roundabout.

I would love to go back and see the most beautiful place I have ever been to again. Berchesgarden is like a postcard, and me and my father spotted Salzburg in Austria from the peak! We went in October 2014 so this is rather belated. This is a once in a lifetime trip.

Date of experience: October 2016
3  Thank 392rhysw
Reviewed 26 December 2016

This is a great place for photos. The views are breathtaking. There is some walking, but not too intense. This was a great place to spend the day. You can ride the Jennerbahn or go for a boat ride on the Konigsee. There are also very good shops that give you a feel of the local culture.

Date of experience: September 2016
4  Thank WendyFromIllinois
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Jennerbahn has so much to offer. We came back twice in three days! And it has become the highlight of our trip in Berchtesgaden.

Cable car with ever changing views overcame my fear of heights. The slow ride up to the top could be intimidating for someone afraid of heights like me. But the changing view at different height provided a timely distraction. And the slow pace made it perfect to snap plenty of photos.

Panoramic, magnificent views at the top. The Watzmann along with the surrounding alps was just breathtaking. Plenty to walk around at the top station with a short walk up to the peak Jenner. Route #12: Gipfelweg that offers a view down to the Königssee. Do heed the road condition. There's some frost when we walked up and it's slippery at some area of the route. It's the end of October.

Hiking galore! Many hiking routes for different fitness levels. And plenty of routes starting from the middle station. We rode the cable car to the top station and took route#3 Mitterkaserweg. It's indeed a beautiful descent from the top station, rather steep at times. But one is rewarded with great views along the route, including the starting point for the parasailing. Have a cup of hot Hugo at the Mitterkaseralm and take in the other side of the Alpine views. The route is straightforward and there are signs for directions too.

I can't wait for my next visit to Jennerbahn! More hiking route to explore!

Date of experience: October 2016