See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 January 2017

I spent one night at this hotel and having stayed there before I was willing to give it another go-- despite the fact that there is no front desk service in the evenings, or that the kitchen was temporarily closed (though offering breakfast). When I arrived and (had to) let myself in as there was no front desk service, I was keen to settle and inform family and friends I had arrived and also complete my talk for the next day. The internet was not working. I figured it was just in my room - not so I was to discover the next day. I went down for breakfast and stood in front of the reception to report my problem. The woman on duty was on the phone so I left her and came back a few minutes later but she told me she was busy attending to something and could I get my breakfast and she would attend to me. I told her it was urgent. She asked if I could not see she was busy. I left. A few minutes later I went back and instead of attending to me she attended to another guest who arrived at the desk simultaneously. When i finally got my word in her response about the non-functioning internet was that the problem had been reported but she could not say if it would work today, tomorrow or in a week. I decided to check out. Having anticipated spending 4 nights I was going to pay with a 500 euro note. In the event the (same) woman at the reception told me she could not accept a note that large. I had bought 2 boxes of their marmalade and offered to not buy the marmalade and then I would have enough smaller notes to pay for the room (the marmalade is very tasty and IF you ever go to Bayreuth you should buy even if you don't stay there). This same lady said she had already made a receipt for the marmalade and could thus not take it back. I was stumped: won't take a 500, won't take the marmalade back so I could pay with a 100 euro note- I asked what I should do since I was also not willing to pay with a credit card. In the event we called my hosts who assured her they would pay. It has been a long time since I was treated this way in an hotel, as if a favour was being done me and I was a bother. Not to mention that a working internet is a basic feature of any hotel worth its salt today.

Note: rooms have wooden floors and no rugs so it's cold in winter. Hotel is 5 min ride from train station.

Room Tip: midway between stairs and away from street is quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Josephine A
Reviewed 18 June 2016

The hotel has a very good restaurant and is in walking distance of the city center. Parking can be a bit of a problem. There are only a very few free places available, but you can always pay for parking at the adjecent brewery's visitor center, so having a beer will not be a problem! We were on the second floor, no elevator, room a bit small, but clean. Bit noisy with late brewery guests on Saturday. Wifi was free en perfect.

Room Tip: No majestic views to be expected, ask for the quiet rooms away from the public road.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2016 via mobile

We stayed here one night on a cycling holiday. We had a reasonable sized, though not huge, room with very comfortable bed. It was in the second floor and therefore quite quiet. The bicycles were stored in a wooden building at the back of the hotel which was locked with a padlock. The breakfast was absolutely great- this was 8 euros extra- boiled eggs, really good quality bread, extensive range of cheeses and cold meats, cereals, yogurt etc etc- but the most unusual aspect was the range of jams which are made in the hotel- they are high fruit/ low sugar jams- for example gooseberry with basil!- who would have thought that would taste nice but it did- quince with vanilla and about 20 others. When we checked out we were given a small complimentary jar! Nice touch.

Stayed: June 2016
Reviewed 4 June 2015

Very nice traditional hotel just outside the Altstadt with easy access and parking. Overlooks the Maisel's brewery yard and is next door to the beautiful brick-built old brewery building. Only a short walk to the pedestrianised Alstadt, the hotel is very well situated. Nice single rooms, very good breakfast choice (including all of their lovely jams). Would stay again without hesitation. Wi-Fi not working in my room though.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2014

Whatever you do dont bok rom 14 - its TINY. Maybe the smallest hotel room I have ever been in. Just enough space for a single bed and a writing desk which I think doubles as a wardrobe. Thankfully the neighbouring room 12 was free - but guess what? It was GYNOURMOUS! You could easily fit five or six beds into it and I couldn't figure out why anyone would either want a room that big or a room that small.
The hotel was under renovation so no lunch or dinner served and theres no night reception - but this didn't bring the €65 rate down at all. Not right when you can move to a variety of surrounding hotels for the same rate and have all amenities working round the clock for the same price. Housekeeping only works in the morning, so should you be in your room for the morning, too bad for you.
The complimentary fridge stocked with water, four soft drinks and a couple of beers was, I thought a lovely touch - very in keeping with the friendly decor and intentions of the hotel.
Im told when the hotel is running normally the food is fabulous. The hotels owners also sell what appear to be homemade jams and preserves which are the first thing you notice when you enter and they gove you a complimentary jar when you leave.

Oh well.

Room Tip: Room 14 is tiny - unless you like it very very cozy.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business