“A great steakhouse for Germany but not a place for prime rib”

Restaurant Christophorus
Ranked #3 of 1,355 Restaurants in Stuttgart
Cuisines: Steakhouse, European
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Huntsville, Alabama
“A great steakhouse for Germany but not a place for prime rib”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Christophorus Restaurant is located at the Porsche Museum in the Zuffenhausen district of Stuttgart. There is ample parking in the museum garage and the restaurant will validate your parking ticket before you leave. Reservations are recommended, but not too hard to come by if you call a week or more in advance.

My wife and I found the restaurant quite striking. Walking through the door you instantly notice the modern interior with windows viewing Porsche carriages in the musuem on one side, and floor to cieling plate glass windows looking down on the traffic circle below on the other. Every booth and chair is upholstered in red leather. Atop every white linen table cloth is a minature Porsche model you can play with while you wait for your dinner. The restaurant has an open kitchen, so after you select your cut of meat and side dishes, you can watch the kitchen staff insert your aged beef into a custom built oven that broils the steaks at an ultra high temperature.

Yes, the restaurant itself is beautiful, the service is perfect, and everything is immaculate. Elegant, fresh cut flowers and candles adorned each table. The uniforms our attendants wore were crisp. The restaurant is so clean that everything including the cutlery appears brand new. My wife said it reminded her of flying first class. It reminded me of the car factory pumping out sports cars next door, but it was nevertheless impressive.

My wife and I ordered ceasar salads, with she selecting a strip steak while I ordered the prime rib. Before the salads arrived we were treated to an appetizer of duck breast along with an assortment of fresh baked bread and butter. My wife had sparkling wine while I drank a delicious non-alcoholic fruit drink, and some cold mineral water.

The ceasar salads were flavorful and abundant, and no sooner had we finished them then our main courses arrived on large platters along with a basket of fresh fried onion rings. This is where some of the magic wore off. My wife ordered her steak medium and it came out medium rare, while I ordered my prime rib medium rare an it came out rare...raw in the middle to be honest. Had I been thinking about it, I would have asked about the prime rib after they told me it would come with an avacado wasabe instead of horseradish. I told the waitress that I generally don't order prime rib without horseradish and wold prefer this mixed with some sour cream. She offered her sincere apologies that this could not happen. I didn't realize that what I had ordered was a steak. To me, traditional prime rib is seasoned on the outside with salt, pepper, garlic, and herbs, and slow roasted in an oven at about 300 degrees fahrenheit until it comes out so soft you can cut it with a butter knife. Not so at Christophorus. They fly in the prime beef from Kansas, age it to perfection, and broil it to order in said custom built oven. My prime rib, in addition to being undercooked, was relatively chewy. It tasted great, but it was not what I wanted. The steak was served with a small baked potato which I found to be adequate but not impressive. As far as I was concerned neither my wife or myself really enjoyed our meal. My mission was a failure. I have to say that the surf and turf looked and smelled wonderful and I am willing to go back and give Christophorus one more chance.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Bmanwest
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Geneva, Switzerland
“Excellent meat...really nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

We had the day to visit the porsche museum. We decided to take a pause in the porsche restaurant. This was a really good decision afterwards. The place is decorated with a lot of interesting automobile items and they have an nice cigar choice.
The choice of meat is extensive (missing the wagyu though). We picked the american prime beef and I hve to say, it is one of the best beef I have ever eaten.
I really spent a nice time there and for sure will go back.

• Visited December 2010