“Wonderful hotel in Heidelberg, but "understaffed"”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Heidelberg Suites

Heidelberg Suites
Ranked #2 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Sao Paulo, SP
“Wonderful hotel in Heidelberg, but "understaffed"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

This is probably one of the most beautiful hotels we ever stayed at. For a start we got an upgrade to 2 superior suites, and one of them had a balcony overlooking the Neckar and Old Town. Simply breathtaking!

The interior design makes you feel home away from home, and it is difficult to get out to explore Heidelberg with such a beautiful and coasy atmosphere.
The location coudn´t be better, in walking distance to the main attractions, but in a very calm and charming street, fllled with 19th century villas.
The breakfast buffet is not big, but has everything one could wish for.

However, during our stay we had the impression the hotel was clearly "understaffed" (hopefully temporarily), with the receptions girls (I believe they are called Kristina and Sabrina) doing most of the work alone, which led to some small issues. I know this is a Small Luxury Hotel, and one shoud not expect a big staff, but you have a strange feeling in a hotel of this category when the reception girls (which were great, by the way, and did everything possible to meet our expectations under these circumstances) serve you at breakfast, and check you in and out, and bring up the luggage...

To sum up, I really had a great time there, and I hope to be back one day, but I also hope the issues mentioned are temporary, since it risks damagins the image of this hotel in the long run.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank camicasp
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Finnish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I love this hotel, the location is prefect. The design is elegant from the lobby to the bathrooms. Excellent tasteful and a little quirky, and oh so hip, yet completely classic .. just the way I like it. Staff are helpful and considerate. And its located in the most beautiful city in Germany so it begs for a return visit. The name is my only complaint, To an American ear is sounds extremely low budget.. DONT BE FOOLED, its like stepping into a wealthily baron's home as a guest, replete with an outdoor garden rising up the hillside behind and stone great danes to guard the back door .. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We just spent two nights at the Heidelberg Suites and were completely impressed with the entire experience. We stayed in suite #8 in the guest house. The foyer contained a huge bar with minibar (free soft drinks - a nice touch), espresso maker, electric kettle, and even a small range top. The living area was large with a flat-screen TV, desk, sofa and chairs, all in a transitional style. The bedroom was cozy and the bed very comfortable, and there was an air conditioning unit in the bedroom, which was welcome on the rare 82 degree day in May when we arrived. The bathroom was reasonably spacious and well-appointed, including a bidet. Staff was all very friendly and helpful (and English-speaking).

We picked the hotel in part because of its location, just a minute or two walk to the bridge to the old town, and though it looked out mainly on the courtyard, it did have a view of the Schloss. We chose to stay across the river instead of in the old town expecting it would be quieter, and we found the guest house to be very tranquil, even though it's just off a main road. The guest house is located just behind the main hotel, which is right next to the road, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were some road noise there.

Though there is no restaurant, they do serve breakfast, and the hotel has a dinner cruise on a boat that's docked just across the street. We're not normally dinner cruise sorts of folks, but the menu looked good and it was convenient for our first night in town. What a pleasant surprise! The boat was decorated charmingly, the service was top-notch, the food quite good (asparagus risotto was a standout), a nice wine list, plus a scenic cruise down the Necker River. Be prepared for a leisurely experience; the kitchen is small and food can take awhile, but it's worth it for this delightful experience.

Room Tip: The guest house is likely quieter than the main house, but views from the front of the main hotel bu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank julesagogo
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and kids and I recently stayed in this hotel . WOW ....what an experience , its top of the range -so I expected the rooms to be wonderful ...which they were, the drinks to be chilled .....they were, the food to be lovely....it was ! And the service.....way and beyond the call of duty. The receptionist and porter on duty could not have done more for us...but not in an obsequious manner, just highly professional. They also really welcomed our kids which was terrific as some boutique hotels can be slightly on edge about kids. As we were leaving very early (6.30), both members of staff got up and breakfast was served to us well before their normal opening time. In addition to this , we have never before had the staff come out to the car and wave us off down the road....what a lovely touch. I have never felt so welcome in a hotel in my life. If you want to feel special I suggest you contact them ASAP !!!

Room Tip: It was all wonderful, but perhaps away from the road ...although it wasnt really noisy after dark.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My friend and I recently stayed in 2 rooms at Heidelberg Suites and our expectations were far exceeded. It's difficult to call the HS a hotel as it felt more like you were renting an apartment at the best B&B in the world rather than a hotel.
The rooms were brilliantly appointed with coffee machine, dishwasher and cooktop. The minbar was also complimentary for non alcoholic items and wifi was also free. I had a dining/living area with spectacular views over the Neckiar River, I great size bed and wel appointed bathroom with large shower head, bath and bidet. The location is also perfect with a 5 minute walk across the bridge to the old town center. The Heidelberg castle is in full view out our window.
The staff at reception make you feel like family with Nancy, Stephanie and co being so helpful and responsive to our needs. We also met the owner, Peter, who gave us so much of his time to answer our questions about his hotel. He also owns a restaurant boat called Patria which we enjoyed twice during our 3 night stay. The staff like Pia and Lisa are extremely friendly on board with Julian the sommelier helping well with wine choices. It seams odd I recall everyone's name as that's not normal for me, but we really felt so welcome and part of the 'family' that it was not difficult to do so. I would also recommend utilizing the car service while staying as Martin is a real character with a wealth of knowledge of the area, cars and Germany history.
My friend and I bought a golf package holiday through HS and loved every minute. They also have a number of other packages I would try next time when I visit with my wife.
I was so impressed with my experience, I am already looking at a skiing holiday in Peters chalet in Austria. I'm sure the decor and experience will be just as spectacular.
If you're going to Heidelberg, check this place out if you can.

Room Tip: Any room will do. Take swimmers and use the spa out back of the hotel. It was great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends