“Casual dinner after a big day of travel”
Review of Kartoffelhaus

Kartoffelhaus
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Kartoffelhaus celebrates the fabulous tuber in various ways and with great dedication. Our menu offers home-made dishes like mother cooked them, but also interprets potato dishes in a fresh and daringly new way with fresh vegetables and herbs, several sorts of cheese, delicious local fish and meat of high quality. In addition you can find vintage types of potatoes and vegetables used in yummy dishes on our menu. We also offer a vegan menu and separate menus of gluten and lactose-free dishes.
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Arriving in Freiburg early evening a quick check on TA helped find this place. Great atmosphere and friendly staff were a great start. English menus were available. Some dietary requirements were no problem to clarify. We had schnitzel and fries and Gratin Lachs. Both good serving sizes and tasty. We only had a beer and mineral water. (The Dunkel was great) so cant help with view on other drinks.

Was a good local dining experience and would recommend if heading to Freiburg

1  Thank 240BruceW
BettinaM587, Inhaber at Kartoffelhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Thanks a lot :):):):)

Reviewed 30 September 2018

We didn't reserve a table, thinking 5pm would be fine. Wrong, the place was crammed.
So we sat outside and wrapped ourselves in the blankets which were there for exactly that purpose, ordered a table full of food covering all thinkable categories and only didn't finish because the portions were just too big. Service people were many and friendly, and obviously enjoyed their jobs and each other as they seemed to be having actual f.u.n.

Not even a coffee had space at the end of our meal, so think twice about ordering appetisers and a small salad and a main course.

High five, you guys rock, we will be back!

1  Thank nonametoday2016
Reviewed 28 September 2018

If you are vegan or have a gluten/lactose intollerance (or if you are a potato or an avocado LOVER) this is the place to go to! Of course they have a lot of really nice dishes with meat as well.
there are seperate Menu Cards for the different dietry needs and really a lot of stuff to choose from!
But honestly the best thing for me was the dessert. I don´t really see it that often, that restaurants offer desserts without wheat and dairy in it. And therefore I was so happy to see they had several options for me. I ended up eating a vegan&glutenfree brownie with fruit sorbet on the side wich was delicious. I can really recommend the Kartoffelhaus(and the dessert) but you should probably bring some time if you go there because it can get quite crowded sometimes and then it obviously takes some time until you have your food.But I thought it was worth the wait

2  Thank jenniiferhau
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

We went there because a friend recommended it to us. Food was good, nothing spectacular but ok...However we think that an hour wait for getting a salad doesn’t make it worthwhile to go there. After they brought the salad the main course came after 10 min. We also noticed that some tables that came after us were served first. Maybe they did a mistake? ‍♀️
Waiters were nice though.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

The first three times I ate here I had a four star experience with good quality food at fair prices albeit with rather slow service. The last time I ate here they brought me out a piece of chicken that was undercooked and still squishy in the center. After putting that piece of food in my mouth I haven't been back.

Bettina M, Inhaber at Kartoffelhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Dear fairandbalanced1

I am very happy, that you were pleased with your serveral visits in our restaurant.
And I am very sorry that your last visit was not a good experience.
But I am also a bit bewildered - did you tell our service that your chicken ist not ok?
Were people work mistakes take place. And we would have been happy to bring you a new portion.

I would be pleased if you would contact me personally at bettina@daskartoffelhaus.de - perhaps we find a way for you to
give us a fair new chance.

Best regards Bettina