All reviews fast wifi smoked fish main building the lack of air conditioning yogurt on site parking reception staff central location enjoyed our stay minute walk small room flat screen tv excellent location breakfast was included double bed a lovely stay lovely hotel
Reviewed 30 August 2018

The Hotel Merkur seems to be in the process of upgrading its facilities, aiming for a higher-end experience with some newly renovated rooms and lobby. My single room, in the adjacent building, was generally fine, if not at quite the level of a family member's room in the main building.

A couple downsides, first: the biggest drawback here is probably the Internet. It kicks you off every time you close your computer or turn off your phone, and you have to log back on to reconnect. It got very tiresome after a few times. And the lack of air-conditioning in the hotel made for a very toasty room my first night (a portable fan did help a bit). I gather there are plans to add some A/C in the future.

That being said, there were some strong positives: The restaurant, Sterntaler, was excellent. It's one of the higher-rated places in Baden-Baden, with delicious regional fare and friendly, unobtrusive service. The morning breakfasts were also very well appointed with plenty of breads, cheeses, eggs, meats and fresh fruit.

And the hotel staff was very hard-working and eager to help; the young woman at the front desk on weekday afternoons was happy to call for dinner reservations (as I don't speak German) and quickly help with parking (cars must be moved around in the back lot to accommodate everyone).

Lastly, the location is very good, just a block or two from the bustle of downtown but far enough away that it was quiet at night. A nice, simple cafe awaits you at the end of the street.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2018

I travel a lot and spend more than around nights in hotels year by year.
But this my first review ever.
If I´m in the south of Germany I try to stay in Baden-Baden in Hotel Merkur, because I love this city and this family-run hotel.

I can not write a special reason, but for me this hotel has a very special atmosphere and I feel really at home. The staff is so friendly and always welcome me warmly. The rooms are comfortable and nice and the breakfast offers everything I need for a perfect start to the day. Freshly prepared coffee and egg specialties are more than you could expect in a hotel of this category.

I write me first review, because one of the staff has told me, that the reviews for the hotel are not so good through the summer period because of the missing air conditioning.
I can for sure speak only for myself.
I`ve spend a lot of nights in hotel Merkur, since more than 10 years and the one or other night was also in the warm summertime. But in Germany the temperature cools always down in the night and with a open window and with a ventilator it was never a big problem for me. Especially because I don`t like air conditioning while I sleep.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, you are in the middle of Baden-Baden and you can leave your window open, because the street and area are very quiet.

I look forward to stay again at Hotel Merkur in future and I am always happy to be there, no matter in which season.

I can highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Baden-Baden.

Room Tip: Junior Suite for single use offers you a lot of space to work
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2018

Have already reviewed this hotel for another travel service: despite good location etc., the issue was lack of air-conditioning that turned room into an unintended sauna for at least three consecutive days.

Stayed: August 2018
Matthias_Hirsch, Inhaber at Hotel Merkur, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear "Patrick",

thank you very much for choosing our hotel Merkur for you stay in Baden-Baden and for hard working in writing a lot of reviews.

Sorry, that you have stayed with us at the hottest days in the whole year.

At the moment we are renovating our rooms at our side building and than we will have 5 more rooms with air conditioning.
For the rooms in our main building ist it unfortunately not possible to equipe them with ac.

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed our good location etc. and so we would be happy to welcome you again at less hot days and we are sure you will enjoy your stay and give us a better review..

Warmest regards

Matthias Hirsch & the entire hotel Merkur staff

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Hotel Merkur is in a great location if you want to walk around Baden-Baden. My room was in the side building and was quite small; I booked through a third-party site which I think resulted in that room assignment. My room looked nothing like the pictures on the hotel's website; I think those rooms are in the main building. There was no air-conditioning during a horrible heat wave -- of course an older hotel won't have AC but this did cause me to check out one day early. Breakfast was hearty and well-presented and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Hotel Merkur has a lot of good features but travelers should avoid heat waves (if possible) and book a room in the main building.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo

Dear "Samstap",

thank you very much for choosing our Hotel Merkur for your stay in Baden-Baden and for taking your time for this review.
We are happy to read that you have enjoyed our great location and liked our hearty and well-presented breakfast.

At the moment we are renovating the first room in our side building and until the end this year we will renovate all our rooms in the side building and give them an brand new and modern look.

Our “incredibly friendly and helpful staff” wants to thank you very much for your compliment.
We would be happy to welcome you back as our guest and we are shure that with a stay in our new rooms or the rooms in our main building you will give us the full 5 points here on tripadvisor.

Warmest regards from Baden-Baden
Hotel Merkur & and the entire Hotel Merkur staff

Reviewed 31 July 2018

My wife and son stayed for only one night passing thru Baden-Baden on way to Frankfurt...Hotel served its purpose rate was reasonable although for US visitors, AC was not an option. Really well situated for seeing and visiting Baden Baden highlights, almost walking distance or short cab ride. Some very helpful staff speak English, but not all so don't count on it if in a pinch. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Matthias_Hirsch, Inhaber at Hotel Merkur, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Dear Vic,

thank you very much for staying at our hote Merkur and for your positive review,
You are right we have onlz afew rooms with air conditing, but also not a long hot period in Baden-Baden.
The most of our staff speak english very well and you can be sure we have always english speaking staff at duty.
We are happy, to read, that felt well with us, enjoyed our perfect location and that wou would stay again with us.
We are waiting for you and wish you a great time until than.

Warmest regards form Baden-Baden