“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Tel-Aviv
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed with my wife at this hotel for two separate nights as Baden-Baden was our gateway both in and out to and from the Black forest.

The rooms were very big and spacious (especially the first room which was a suite with separate living and sleeping areas), bed was very comfort and large.
Minor issues with the rooms:
The first room was facing the street and sound proofing wasn't the best, but traffic is not exactly busy over there so it wasn't a real issue, though it could bother light sleepers.
In the second room had a window in the shower so you could see the person in the shower from the outside of the shower room. I think it should be more private and turn the window into fully opaque.

Breakfast was delicious and generous (but not cheap).

Most of the staff was very nice and helpful, except for one female receptionist in our second night stay, she was unhelpful and unkind. It was a bit of a spoil because the other staff members were very kind, including the hotel manager, she was very lovely.
The hotel is well located in Baden-Baden, a minute walk to the center, an in front of the Caracala Spa.

We definitely recommend this hotel, and we would love to return there in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Central New Jersey
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a great week in Germany. Our schedule allowed for only one night in Baden Baden, which is why we chose the Aqua Aurelia hotel. I'm hoping my review gives some useful pointers to my fellow American visitors who, maybe like us, are new to visiting a thermal bath. In terms of proximity, you couldn't get any closer to the baths than the Aqua Aurelia. Both Caracalla and Friedrichsbad are a stone's throw, in the hotel's backyard, if you will. The hotel is very contemporary and attractive. Our room was huge by European standards, more like what you'd expect from an American hotel. It had a perfect view of the Caracalla bath. No amenity was overlooked...coffee maker,hair dryer, internet connection cable, alarm clock...you name it. The bathroom was spotless and roomy. When we came back to the room in the late afternoon, we found a plate of fresh fruit had been left for us...nice touch! The desk staff (we spoke to 3 different individuals) was efficient and courteous.The hotel was in the perfect location for exploring the town of Baden Baden...make a right out the front door of the hotel, walk for less than 5 minutes and you're in the heart of a bustling down-town area, full of cute shops and restaurants. We wish we'd been able to spend more time there!

We told the front desk clerk that we intended to go to Caracalla in the evening, and asked her for "instructions" since we'd never been to such a place before. (I'd done plenty of reading about both baths, so we did have a clue.) Our admission fee would be charged to our room, and we got one hour free since we were hotel guests. (oh! Bring some cash, in case you want to buy a drink or a snack while you're there. You swipe your wristband when you get your food & drink, but these things arer NOT charged to your room...you have to pay before exiting the bath...good thing we had enough money on us!) She gave us each a tote bag with a large towel and terry slippers, and advised us to change into our swim suits and wear the bathrobes which were in our room, She told us NOT to wear the slippers, but rather, our "city shoes" over to the baths, since we'd have to go through the parking garage....something about getting them dirty. (Had I known that, I would have brought my own sandals, since my choice of footwear was limited to boots or Nike sneakers!) And, since my husband is a tall, muscular guy and I am a plus-sized girl, the robes did not fit ! But, we did what she said, got in the elevator to the parking garage level and followed the signs to the baths. I have to say, the two of us felt like we had "tourist" written all over us at this point. You're literally walking through a parking deck, for a considerable distance...with cars driven by fully-dressed people whizzing past you, etc. And, it is cold! But we trudged on, finally making our way to the underground entrance. At this point you have to go up a couple of flights of stairs to reach the actual entry point. We went on a Friday evening at 6:30. And while the place wasn't packed, it was busy. Turned out we were the ONLY people entering in our swimsuits and robes...everybody else was dressed in their street clothes and changed in the locker room once they got there! We spent 3 hours at the bath (a really fun experience) and then it was time to make our way back, except now we were in WET bathing suits and ill-fitting robes! And once we were back in the garage, it was difficult to remember which way we had come! (and, the few signs are in German) So there we were, wandering around, bickering about which way to go to get back to the hotel.....wet and freezing, with the cars going by! All the relaxation we gained at the bath went right out the window at that point. I have an easy solution to this, as I cannot imagine we're the only people who have had difficulty finding the hotel entrance on the way back....all they'd have to do is paint a line on the floor of the garage, say, in blue, and tell guests to just follow the blue line.....Problem solved!

If we ever get the chance to go back to Baden Baden, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Aqua Aurelia. But, considering that the baths are a big reason why you'd choose this hotel, I think the staff should put themselves in the shoes of their guests and look toward improving their experience with just a few simple solutions.

Room Tip: Room 405...on the 2nd floor directly across from the elevator, beautiful room with a great view of t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Bellzangelz
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This hotel is in a great location and the suite was fantastic - very large and clean. It was also easy to access the Caracalla Therme through the underground parking garage.

I normally don't expect much as far as service from hotels, but the service here was not very good. When we arrived, I stood at the front desk for 10 minutes waiting for someone to show up and check me in. I had to walk around and find someone to get a receptionist to the desk. I also saw this happen several times to other patrons while I was sitting in the lobby. We tried to order room service the night of our arrival, only to find that the kitchen was closed (I believe it was 9 PM at this time). We watched one receptionist make faces behind the back of a patron who was giving her a hard time, which was very unprofessional. Also, no one ever explained to us that we could get bags/towels to take to the Therme with us until the day we checked out. Upon checking out, they give you a small jar of "Black Forest" honey, and when we asked to have 2 jars, the receptionist told us NO, 1 jar per room - come on! I guess my 300 Euro/night wasn't good enough for 2 small jars of honey!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DixieLee2006
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 January 2012

When we booked any hotel we specifically ask for quiet room, not
overlooking the street and a bath tub(rather than just shower).
So far I did not have too many problems with hotel honoring my
requests, and we travel allot. Even if upon arrival we would get room
overlooking the street, we would remind reception clerks about our
request and we would always get the quiet room.
Room at Aurelia was gorgeous!
Bathroom was pretty large, but no bath
tub. From the open window in the bathroom I heard a street noise and
after looking out the window I saw that room was overlooking very
noisy street. I called reception and said that this is not what we
requested. I was told that hotel is fully booked and they gave us an
upgrade from regular to superior suit. I sad I would rather have the
room I requested and not an upgrade.
But the next day when I talked to the manager I was told again that
hotel is fully booked and as it turned out we booked. What good is gorgeous suit, if you can't sleep because of
the street noise? All though we were given the option to keep all
windows closed and turn on air-condition, 0 degrees outside.
If we were originally told that we need to pay extra for a room with
the bathtub and not a street view, we would have paid, but we were not
given this option upon booking, upon emailing with the staff, nor at
the time of our last request.
For those of us who is not a light sleeper this hotel is perfect. Very
clean, stylish furniture and staff is actually very nice, not to
mention the underground path to Caracalla where we walked in our
bathrobes. Breakfast was also very nice. Upon checkout manager gave me
a bottle of vine as a cancellation gift, which was nice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple