“Great staff and service let down by dirty rooms and stomach upsets” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chalet Hotel Le Val d'Isere

Chalet Hotel Le Val d'Isere
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Lndo
“Great staff and service let down by dirty rooms and stomach upsets”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I have just returned from a week at the Chalethotel Val d'isere with my husband and two young children and our two friends also with two young children. I would like to start this review on a positive note by saying the Mark Warner staff were extremely friendly and helpful at all times. The childcare team did a wonderful job of looking after all the children. It was the first time we had left our 7 month old daughter with anyone outside the family and any misgivings we had before the trip were immediately put aside when we met the lovely caring childcare team headed up by Grace. I would especially like to thank Char for looking after our 4 year old son and making his holiday really special. Zoe was wonderful with our daughter and we felt they were both in very safe and loving hands. The 24 hour kitchen in the childcare room was a real godsend as we could sterilise bottles and feeding equipment at any time. The food at the hotel was really very good - much better than we had expected and the restaurant staff were extremely obliging and patient with us and the children. The heated outdoor pool was a great facility which we enjoyed each evening. Overall the staff and service was very good. The cleanliness of the rooms is where the Chalethotel really falls down. When we arrived our room (Room 62) appeared clean enough if a little dusty but as we were planning to spend all our time on the slopes this was not a major concern. The rooms were tidied (not cleaned) most days but we did have to ask for clean towels on several occasions. One day our towels appared to have just been picked up from the floor and hung or folded back up damp and dirty. By the 3rd day of our trip both our children had fallen ill and had to be collected early from childcare. Both suffered with severe vomiting and diarrhoea which lasted more than 24 hours. My husband then contracted the same bug and missed his last two precious days on the slopes. In fact a substantial part of our holiday was spent either being ill or nursing our children. I have since fallen ill after returning yesterday. As our friends were not ill we wondered if it was something in our room that was causing the illness but when I asked hotel staff if other guests had been ill I was told not in our room. I have just read a review from a family who stayed in our room the previous week and suffered with the same stomach bug. This room really does need to be deep cleaned before any other guests are allowed to use it. Our son vomited repeatedly on the beds and carpets in the room and I requested they be thoroughly cleaned that day. However, only the towels and bed linen were changed and as the beds had no mattress protectors on them I turned the mattresses over in an effort to stop the spread of infection. The toilet and bathroom did not appear to have been reall cleaned but merely wiped over at best. Having two sick young children in a hotel room was very worrying and knowing the previous occupants had also been ill is extremely upsetting and shows real negligence on the part of the hotel. I am very disappointed by our experience with the room and will be contacting Mark Warner directly. Despite the friendly staff and great childcare I will not be returning to the Chalethotel and strongly recommend others to stay away until this hotel and in particular Room 62 has been cleaned and passed a thorough inspection.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 62 at all costs
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Alison D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Colchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Mark Warner formula at its best. Emma manages the young team very well and the helpful friendly welcome from all of the staff makes this a great place to visit for a ski holiday. The ski hosts we're excellent spending all day with the guests and exceeding expectations. Must mention the chef. Brilliant.

• Stayed March 2012
Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I have just returned from staying at the Chalet Hotel Val D'Isere from Sunday 26th February - 4th March. I went with my wife, 2 children, aged 21 months and 4 years and my parents in law (aged 61 and 62).
We were concerned about reports of stomach bugs and sure enough, our 21 month old daughter caught a vomitting bug which made her ill for 3 days (this was confirmed by the doctor that we took her to see). In addition, both my mother and father inlaws got stomach bugs and were poorly for several days.
The hotel itself needs a make over, our room (62) was tired and really needs rejuvenating. The toilet was so small that I had to sit with the door open and there is no ventilation at all, no window, no fan, nothing. The bathroom is also very small and not ideal. There is no entrance into the hotel without steps, which is not child friendly. None of the TV channels are in English, which is clearly stated on the website, in fact the TV in room 62 didn't even work half of the time. There was continual noise near to our room late at night too.
The claim of a "boot room" is nonsense, all there is is a pokey downstairs room with a small, thin locker, which is big enough for 2 pairs of skiis - there is no boot facility at all. The hotel rooms have no telephones (inter-room or external).
We booked our 4 year old son into group skiing lessons (which he hated) to find out after 2 days that there was 1 instructor between 8 children (all around 4 years of age), yes, that's 1. We took him out after this and paid for private tuition which he loved.
The staff really do make an effort, we found the manager, Emma, charming and Gabriel who looked after our children in the creche was excellent, as was Kat. The rest of the staff all try their best but we felt that they are just left to face irate guests with little support from any senior Mark Warner personel. Clearly Mark Warner are trying to squeeze as much profit as possible out of the hotel (we ran out of bread twice at dinner, the wine is not great although this might just be my preference, food portions were small, the quality was average). The bar does not open until 4.30pm and was cash only on the last night, no facility to use cards. Everything just seemed to be done on the cheap and the price was not cheap.
The other people whom we met at the hotel were generally very pleasant. Val D'Isere is a fabulous resort and we will be retunring there but it will not be at the Chalet Hotel Val D'Isere and we will never go with Mark Warner again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank John D

Travellers are raving about these Val d'Isere hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I should say at the beginning, that the hotel itself is perfectly okay. I guess it could do with a bit of spruce-up / lick of paint - but overall, it's absolutely fine. The staff are pleasant (a caveat to this follows below), and it's in a good location (only a few mins walk from the slopes and right in the centre of town).

The skiing at the resort is great. The Espace Killy ski area is one of my favourites, and Mark Warner do a good job of getting you onto the snow quickly and easily - with pre-paid, discounted lift-passes being ready for collection on the first morning.

The Childcare at the hotel is also first-class. We travelled with our 4-month old baby and the nursery staff were terrific.

So far so good ... BUT:

There seemed to be a serious problem with the number of people falling ill.
Nearly everyone we spoke to at the hotel had been ill, or knew someone who had been.

It finally got me on the last night in the hotel and it was not pleasant! I ended up with sickness and diarrhoea for 2-3 days. Luckily I didn't miss any skiing - but the coach/plane journey home was a truly terrible experience, and one I hope to never repeat.

I guess I should have been a little wary, having read reports of bugs/illnesses on Trip Advisor reviews from previous years. But I assumed these had been overstated / exaggerated.

Arriving at the hotel, I did spot the many alcohol/hand-wash dispensers dotted around the public areas - but didn't give it much thought. In hindsight, I guess this should have also rung a few alarm-bells.

On reporting my illness to the duty manager, my partner was simply told that "bugs spread easily on mountains" (!?) I have absolutely no idea where the logic behind this statement came from, but I've been on many ski holidays and have never come across so many people struck down with stomach bugs, at the same time, in the same hotel.

The only silver lining, was that my 4-month old son avoided picking this rather nasty condition. Thank goodness!

In summary:

The hotel itself was fine, the staff generally good, and the childcare excellent.

BUT the problems with illness / stomach bugs would mean that, whilst I would travel with Mark Warner again, I definitely will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank abj1977
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel is in a fabulous location, right in the centre of town and within easy access of the lifts and ski school for our daughter. This was our first experience with Mark Warner and it will be our last. The hotel was at best disappointing, everything just didn’t quite make the grade. To be offered one tiny cheap towel per person for the whole week was a shock, as was having to sign up for dinner!! Every night the “slots” for the time we wanted our daughter to eat were full within mins of the list being put out, so we would have had to eat separately, the whole system made me cringe. Having experienced dinner there just once it was no great loss as the food was dreadful and I would seriously question their level of hygiene. Breakfast was awful like being in motorway café the cup’s were chipped the coffee horrible and the bacon was frequently undercooked. You were made to feel unwelcome if you turned up after 9am. We found the food so poor that we ate out every night, which is not ideal if you are travelling with a family on a budget. We love to ski but let the crowds go first as we were on holiday not a boot camp. House keeping would frequently knock on the door before 9am to see when you were going as they wanted you out of the room so that they could (clean) the room and presumably get out skiing. The staff were generally friendly but a far cry from being anywhere near professional, The rooms are OK quite small with uncomfortable beds, however, the Bathroom was fine with a good shower. Having no safe in the room was a pain as you have a antiquated safe deposit bag system which was time consuming and frustrating. The Kids club was very good and the staff very welcoming and friendly although we didn’t really spend much time there at all as our daughter had skiing lessons every day. The outdoor poll was OK but not really hot enough. The boot room was cramped with nowhere to sit down to take off your boots. On booking I was told this was a four star hotel, I would have to seriously question that!! It could be so so much better with some effort a good clean and decent food. Even the fireplace in the lounge just had fairy lights in as presumably no one could be bothered to light a real fire. There are some lovely hotels in the village and some great restaurants. We would definitely go back to Val D Isere but definitely stay in a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Val d'Isere
6.4 km away
0.2 km away
Hotel la Savoyarde
Hotel la Savoyarde
#13 of 39 in Val d'Isere

Been to Chalet Hotel Le Val d'Isere? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK