The hotel location really couldn't be any better for Marseille, it has a quayside position right on the old port Marina. I had an absolutely stunning view of the marina. It also faces the Notre Dame de la Garde basilica, on a distant hill, which nicely tops off the view. It's also well placed for the main tourist sites and the wide range of restaurants, bars etc, all within walking distance.
I had a prestige view room, which had a better balcony, it was well worth the extra cost. Noise levels were fine, especially considering it is in the middle of the tourist area, but make sure you properly lock the balcony doors to best shut out outside noise.
The front of the hotel is not particularly pretty, but the outside restaurant area is nice and the interior is quite stylish with elements of the 'Mondrian' style that you'll recognise even if you don't recall its name. My room was cosy with a good sized comfortable double bed.
Bathroom was a reasonable size and it was clean and hygienic (as was the bedroom).
Kettle with coffee, tea and creamer sachets was provided, and appreciated. As with most hotel though, i'd recommend you bring milk pods for tea!
The complimentary (I assume!) broad brimmed hat proved proved to be essential in the very hot sun I had while i was there (it was well over 30 degrees at times). There was also a complimentary bottle of water, which was also very handy and appreciated.
Only two very minor negatives. first was that the remote for the TV didn't work, but there are much nicer things to do in the old port area than watch tv, so I didn't bother reporting it. The other minor niggle was that I couldn't just buy a beer without food in the restaurant area despite it being virtually empty at the time, I could have understood if it was busy. I had just eaten so I wasn't go to buy more food. I don't believe there was a hotel bar.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful. I didn't see the maid but she did a great job cleaning the room etc.
This was an excellent hotel in a lovely area with great staff so I don't hesitate to recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel "La Residence du Vieux Port Marseilles" is on the south bank of the famous Old Port, and offers stunning views of the waterfront whatever the time of year.At the rear you can see the breathtaking Notre-Dame de la Garde cathedral, perched on the top of the hill overlooking the city.Every room in our hotel has been newly renovated with a chic 50s retro feel, blending style and comfort. Most of our rooms have a balcony overlooking the Old Port and the Basilica.... Big flat tv, International channels, mini-bar, spacious bathroom, with L'Occitane en Provence products.And if you are looking for delicious food with high quality service, you need only to step into our adjoining restaurant Le Relais 50.It is the perfect hotel for your stay in Marseille: Ideally, a very good standard and a high quality service that have won our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel La Residence du Vieux Port reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Du Vieux Port Hotel Marseille
- Residence Du Vieux Port Marseille