“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #35 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Washington State
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed here in May, 2011. I was a single female traveler and I felt very safe here. The owner was lovely and made me feel like a treasured relative visiting from far away. The owner's mother was also a charming part of the stay - helping with breakfast, clipping flowers and arranging them just so. I felt like I was home, not at a hotel.
There was construction next door, otherwise it would have been perfect to leave the windows/shutters open at night.
Great location, easy to find, and close to the busy streets with all the shops.
They gave great dining recommendations, too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank why_pack_light?
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Hotels in Nice are expensive so I guess it is the normal price range and you pay for the location. It's a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, 5 minutes to the tram station on the commercial street, 5 minutes to the beach. But I still felt it was expensive. The hotel is a floor in a nice building. The front desk is open from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. The rest of the time there are codes to go in and out. There is a nice garden where it is possible to eat something bought outside. There is no restaurant in the hotel. I didn't have breakfast because I was leaving before 8:30 a.m., it is not included in the price, looked as continental breakfast. The room and bathroom were really small and dark but clean and comfortable. The AC worked. The staff is very nice, very friendly and helpful. Not for families and ok if you're on a job trip, and only go there to sleep. Free wifi appreciated. Certainly not a boutique hotel. As someone already said, very basi indeed. Overall I was disappointed because it is ranked so high on trip advisor and I just couldn't see why.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank JimBta
, Owner at Nice Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear JimBta,

thank you for having taken the time to write this review.
We are sorry you were disappointed by your stay in our hotel.

We do agree that the room you stayed in is one of our smallest rooms (11.4m²) and not very bright. We are indeed located on the ground floor, and some of the rooms are surrounded by trees preventing much light to come in. The size of our rooms and our rates are however in accordance with the latest French standards, and we have obtained the renewal of our two star license in April 2012.

Kind regards,
Marion
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My sister and I took our 86 year old mother back to Nice, France last week (May 30th-June 4th). She is French and was making her last trip to say good-bye to her relatives and her homeland. To be honest, I was really worried about the 2 star rating on this hotel because I have never stayed at a 2 star hotel before. Then having my mother with us, I really wondered how that would work out. I looked at all the raving reviews and still questioned whether or not the reviews were accurate or not. I even personally emailed two people to make sure their reviews were truthful. I am here to say, all the Trip Advisor reviews on this little bed and breakfast hotel were accurate. My mother had her own room and my sister and I were in another room. Both rooms (#3 and #4) had excellent light and were a nice size and overlooked the garden. Marion and Natalie were so wonderful and very attentive. I think that is the reason why people love this hotel. They are perfect hosts and go out of their way. Marion went out and got a special candle for my mother's 86th birthday and there were flowers in her room each day. My sister and I aren't "bread" eaters, so she substituted extra croissants for the bread. It was very thoughtful and we didn't ask her to do that. The price of the breakfast was very reasonable and it was great. As someone else mentioned in a review, when you first drive up to the hotel, you momentarily wonder if the neighborhood is actually that safe...but, it was. There are just a couple of interesting shops near the hotel. The rooms were very clean. Natalie helped us with the location of some stores that carried items we wanted to purchase; so that was great. We were gone everyday doing something, so we did not require all the extra amenities that larger hotels might have--like a restaurant, swimming pool, computer access, etc. In fact, there is an Internet site located near the hotel, if you want Internet access. The price was very reasonable as we traveled to Paris to spend a few days and we paid 4 times more for a hotel room where the location was good...just as good as our location in Nice. Do not hesitate to stay at this hotel--make your reservations early though as they are always booked.

Room Tip: Rooms #1, #3, #4 and #8 are larger according to my sister who got to see those rooms. Rooms #1, #3...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Samfeline
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

A lovely hotel in a handy location. Excellent service and value for money, we 're already planning our next stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NickySw G
Dorset, England
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Stayed for 4 nights over Easter 2012. What can we say that's not already been said? Very convenient location for airport buses, trains and buses to elsewhere (Monaco, St Paul de Vence etc - all bargain trips at 1 Euro). Very warm welcome from the owner and staff - just the right amount of attention and help with trip and restaurant planning. Breakfast is served in a small communal room but we chose to take ours in the lovely courtyard garden - perfect. Nice large comfy bed and good hot shower. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1 - nice large room opening out onto the courtyard garden.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple