“Good value and nice Hotel”

Best Western Hotel So'Co
Ranked #70 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good value and nice Hotel”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Nice and clean. Friendly and skilled staff. Breakfastbuffet good.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My fiance and I have just spent 2 nights in the Best Western Hotel Riviera, I agree with other reviewers who found this very disappointing in comparison with other hotels in this chain. On the plus side, it is very centrally located for the train station and airport bus. Our stay included breakfast, a "welcome drink" (water, juice or a soft drink!!) and a "lunch box" each day (a sandwich, packet of crisps, bag of apple slices and bottle of water) - the latter was actually very welcome. Staff were reasonably friendly with one receptionist in particular proving helpful. On the downside, I had specifically requested a double bed when making the reservation through booking.com. Our room had 3 single beds. I phoned reception immediately on arriving in the room but was told the hotel was fully booked. The room was small and the third bed seemed to be rather an afterthought making the room even more cramped. There was a small balcony but this was covered in a sort of green baize which was saturated as it was raining pretty much non-stop during our stay. Thus if one used the balcony at all one left wet footprints all over the floor of the room. The room was dreary with no attempt at any warm decor. The location, although central, was, as pointed out by some other reviewers rather seedy (which seems to be the case in many cities around the main train station). I actually felt quite unsafe at night walking to and from restaurants despite having my tall well-built fiance with me! I agree with reviewers who pointed out that it is very unusual not to have a bar of any kind in a hotel. Breakfast was OK but we had stayed in another hotel on this trip in Provence which provided significantly more choice. This was my second visit to Nice and I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to return - yes the apalling weather probably did effect my view of the city but, having stayed in the stunning Parc Regional de Verdon region on this trip I've decided I prefer countryside, stunning mountain views and small, charming French villages! If I were to return to Nice I would choose a different hotel.

2 Thank ClaremcDublin
Perpignan, France
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here to go to the Historical GP in Monaco, so the location was excellent with the train station just over the road.
Superb, friendly welcome. The rooms was small, but very clean and fine for us. The air-con did not work, but we were only there to sleep. Our room was at the back and very quiet, despite being surrounded by apartment blocks. But that meant it was away from the road!
Breakfast adequate, and the lunch box was a real bonus as we didn't have to think about finding food in Monaco.
Not many restaurants around, but we ate at Voyageur Nissart and it was excellent value.
Can understand some people being a little nervous of the area, as off the main road its a bit seedy, but we were fine.
Parking in the multi-story was very convenient and at €40 the weekend was good value.
Overall, we liked the hotel and would stay there again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed in many Best Western hotels and I can honestly say this is the most basic hotel, in this group, that I have ever encountered. I must admit that I made the booking without really doing any real research but assumed that being a Best Western it would be up to scratch, as it was after-all situated in Nice only a short drive from the airport where I would be landing. Well I will list some of the facts:
1/ The reception area is small and only has three two seater leather settee's. This means that a maximum of six guests can sit down. So if you are waiting to be picked up for a coach trip along with other guests you could be left standing around for some time. Or if you want to sit down with a drink and read / relax you usually find your sharing it with two other people.
2/ There is no bar area whatsoever, so if you need to order a coffee, tea or any alcoholic drink
you have to go to reception, and they then go into the back room / kitchen to get you one, and bring it to reception for you to drink!
3/ From the reception to the rooms ( There are 7 Floors) there is only one small lift. This takes no more than three people (less if you have cases) so you sometimes have to wait for long periods just to get up to your room.
4/ My wife and I drove back from Cannes and were very thirsty so she said to me I am just going up to our room to change my shoes so "Can you order me a cold half of Lager". I went to the reception only to be told "we don't do beer or larger. Only wine, tea ,coffee and soft drinks. Well I was absolutely gob - smacked" Have you ever heard of an Hotel where you can't get a cool beer or lager? Especially one situated in the South of France!!
5/ The first couple of nights we decided to eat out at one of the many local restaurants but after one particularly tiring day we decided that we would eat in the hotel. When I went to reception to book a table they told me "We don't do evening meals". I just could not believe it !
6/ I normally will not stay in hotels that allow dogs into the guest rooms but this time because I did not check before I booked I was caught out yet again. On two separate nights I was disturbed by someone who had a dog in their room and it kept barking.
7/ I thought that all the hotels in the south of France had swimming pools so I packed my swimming trunks only to find that they didn't have a pool, and to be told that if I wanted to swim I had to go to the sea front.

On the plus side there was an older lady who was working in reception. She was a real star and she was always polite, pleasant, and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble for her. The continental breakfast served each morning was adequate, with cold meats, toast, cereals, fruit salad, boiled eggs, tea and coffee, and there was a plentiful supply if you felt you were particularly hungry. The room and bathroom were OK but the overall feeling you get is of something dating back to the 70's.

Room Tip: Not really sure if they have any!
2 Thank geronimo1049
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Location is great. 10-15 min walk to the beach, train station just across the road. Just don't open the window as the street is pretty noisy through the night.
Service well below what one could expect from this hotel chain or room rate.
We were informed wifi was out of service when we arrived, and learned when leaving, it was fixed even before we had checked in.
Airco out of service and this may have been even before we checked in at the hotel. The next day a fan was installed but that did not get the room temp under 25C. No offer to change rooms, no discount... A hotel chain with several hotels in the same city and not to have a maintenance person on call 24/7/365 ? That is hard to believe.
Broken bathroom equipment fixed with glue, rather than replaced.
Room clean, but very small. Very small. No room to open a suitcase other than on the bed.
Breakfast room small. A queue at the coffee machine which spilled milk and coffee on the floor no matter how you put your cup, blocking all access to the rest of the breakfast bar. This was the lowest quality of croissants we have ever seen in France. Or the rest of the world.
There must be better places in Nice. Don't get tempted by the welcome drink and a lunch box.

2 Thank KotR