“There must be better in Nice”

Hotel Le Grimaldi by HappyCulture
Ranked #23 of 204 Hotels in Nice
East Midlands
“There must be better in Nice”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at Le Grimaldi and had 2 rooms - a double for my wife and myself on the 2nd floor and a double/single for our friend on the 5th. Our room had 2 broken chairs, a cracked washbasin; no view of the mountains as promised. Our friend's room was not cleaned on our second day and the door handle came off. The lift broke down and nobody put a notice on, so we waited for some time in vain. The alternative stairs were old, dangerous with the rail on the wrong side. Nobody offered to help down with luggage; indeed, nobody seemed to care. On checkout we were charged for breakfast which we had not had and had to suffer an identity parade by the waiter to prove it. Our friend had paid a deposit of 1 night but they tried to charge him again. Reception left unattended so anybody could take the room keys. This is really service of the most slipshop standard.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TomerEastMidlands
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Largs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in a standard room which was larger than some superior rooms in other hotels .
Room as stated large and well decorated with all the amenities you could require,
Breakfast was okay your usual fare and unlike some other reviews never had to wait for a table.
Hotal staff excellent when i went to check in online for our flights home the computer room was out of order told be told that i could use the main hotel computer.
Would definately return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James M
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at Hotel Le Grimaldi on July 2010 and I am writing this review now, because I'm desperate for a vacation and the one I had in Nice stands out in every aspect. I must admit, one of the reasons which made this holiday a real treat is Hotel Le Grimaldi.
First off, I was incredibly lucky to book the last room available. It was on the first floor and had access to the hotels' WI-Fi. Since I was there by myself, I found the size of the room and its facilities GREAT! The room had a full size ensuit bathroom (not a shower), a large window, a very powerful A/C (never to be underestimated in Nice during the summer!!), a comfortable double bed, an adequate closet with a vault in it, a TV set, a dresser with multiple spacious drawers and … a mini-fridge!
I'm taking the time to emphasize the mini-fridge's importance since I got a complimentary wine bottle once I got into the room (I think they still do that and it's such a treat!) and we had a pretty good time together, that bottle and myself LOL. Plus, considering the proximity of the hotel to the market – you really can save up on some money in this very expensive city while storing some fresh products in the mini-fridge. The bed was comfortable and large, the WI-Fi worked very well, the staff was truly helpful and kind (they were all just as excited as I was about the concert I was attending) and the location is truly great and quiet. I haven’t booked the full package which includes breakfast since I had a very limited budget, so I can't comment on it. I can say that the room was cleaned on a daily basis (and cleaned well) and the fresh towels kept coming, soft, white and indulging. I really do remember this vacation (and concert) as one of the best I ever had.

Room Tip: Tip: if you're in Nice during the summer, make sure to buy a voucher to the private beach ahead...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank intown4concert
singapore
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in the first week of April using Nice as our base for the Riviera. We took the Riviera package offer with a superior double room which included daily breakfast and a full day Riviera tour for 750 euros.

Our room was #46 and it was huuuuuge and very comfortable. Really loved how big the room was and it was quite pretty. The spacious bathroom had a bathtub with L'Ocitane toiletries. Fab.

The staff were friendly (if not exactly super warm or smiley) and helpful. Ready to give recommendations for restaurants, directions and shuttle bookings.

Breakfast was simple but good. Free wifi and some English channels.

The full day Riviera tour (which normally would cost around 80 euros or more) was nice. It took us to so many places which was good as we didn't have to figure out how to get there ourselves. We just sat in a comfy tour van and let them drive us around. It was a little rushed at most places because we were only given an average of half an hour at each place. But it helped us to narrow down which places would be worth revisiting since we only had 5 days in the Riviera.

Location wise I thought the hotel was alright. It's in a central location from the train station, Old Nice, Jean Medicin (where the tram line runs) and rue Massena (the touristy street). It's 5 minutes walk from rue Massena, an easy 10 minutes walk to Jean Medicin and I'd say a 15 to 20 minutes walk to Old Nice and the train station. There is a small supermarket less than 5 minutes away. I say the location is alright because the big spots like the train station or Old Nice aren't right next door. A 15 - 20 minutes walk away would seem a little far for some and definitely a drag if you're pulling luggage from the train station. You also cannot see the sea from the hotel so if that's what you're looking for, this is not the hotel for you. The street where the hotel is located is quiet but seems kinda safe at night.

If you are going from the airport and have heavy luggage with you, I don't recommend taking the #98 bus to the hotel. We took the #98 bus and the walk from the bus stop to the hotel felt like forever when I was dragging my heavy luggage with me on the cobblestone streets. When we left, we got the hotel to book us a shuttle to take us to the airport. It was 28 euros for 2 of us. Even though the airport is not too far away from the hotel, traffic can get pretty bad during peak hours in Nice so make sure you plan properly.

I wouldn't mind staying in Le Grimaldi again if I ever go back to Nice. Thought the stay was a great value for the price I paid.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Bit more than we normally spend and well worth it. Difficult to find fault with any aspect of this expertly run hotel. Good location, centre ville, if you don't mind a short walk & close to a good range of restaurants with a discretely located mini Intermarche close by.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple