“Smells as bad as its staff”

Villa Saint Exupery Beach
Ranked #2 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Nice
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I have stayed at the Villa Gardens before so I thought I would try the Beach since the location was closer. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!! Upon arrival, we were told that our room might not be available as they were having some "difficulties" with the room, but couldn't place us anywhere else since they were full. A half hour later, we were taken up to our room and the smell was atrocious. Clearly they were just trying to get the room filled for the night. It smelled as though the sewage had leaked into the carpet. We spoke with the manager and rudely refused to issue a refund (despite what the receipt states). He said he could only issue a refund if "mold was growing from the walls or bugs were crawling on the floor." Glad to know that is the type of service this manager considers acceptable!

He kept saying he wanted to "make the stay right" yet was unable to offer any sort of remedy to our problem, which truly demonstrated the incompetencies of the staff running the place. I have stayed in hostels all over France and Spain and have never had an experience like that. I know that a hostel experience is not the same as a hotel. I clearly knew what I was getting myself into staying at a hostel, but this experience was unlike any I have had over the past 2 years. Please don't waste your time or money at Villa Beach! We ended up finding a hotel (Hotel Lafayette) right around the corner that was actually cheaper per person and a much better value!

Room Tip: Skip past the Villa and go down the street to Hotel Lafayette!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katie S

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Everything was perfect. The room and bathroom were clean. The bed was very comfortable (I especialy love that pilliow :P) The stuff was great and very helpful. And don't let me start about the perfect location... ;) I met a lot of nice people there and bring home great memories.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2012

don't bother even looking at other hostels in Nice, this one has everything you could ever want and more from a hostel. Optimal location near the beach, old nice, place messena, bus stops, train, and shopping.
Staff is friendly, welcoming, and helpful. It's safe and clean and SO accommodating. There's organized adventure trips, and great communal space. Free internet and breakfast was much appreciated :)
The rooms were beyond my expectation. my sis and i were in a 3 person room- sharing with 1 other female. it was spacious, clean, secure, and isolated (i.e. not too loud). the bathroom was stellar! we had a BATHTUB AND shower!
it may seem pricey at first but totally worth it. not only is it one of the best hostels i've ever stayed at, it was even better than some low-budget hotels as well!
as long as you understand and embrace the idea around a "hostel" (communal, low-cost, for the young/ young-at-heart and adventurous) then i highly recommend this place. i'll be back :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2012

After spending most of our time in France in budget hotels, we decided to try out this hostel in Nice. It turned out to be our favourite accommodation. The guy at the front desk was friendly and welcoming. We had booked a 4-bed dorm but it turned out, for whatever reason, they had to put us in a 6-bed dorm. We were promptly refunded the amount we had overpaid - and it turned out there were only 2 others in our room anyway.

The bunks were clean and sturdy. There was a bathroom and shower in the room - it looked newly renovated and was very clean. There are no lockers in the rooms (I believe you can lock stuff on the main floor) but we felt comfortable leaving our suitcases under the beds. The rooms are accessible by keycard. Laundry service is available for a reasonable fee.

The hostel was very well set up. Breakfast is included - several types of cereals, juice, bread and the most delicious blueberry jam. There's also free coffee and tea available all day. Every night there was a supper special for a reasonal price (I think 7€) - one evening this included steak, potatoes and a salad. The food was delicious and is cooked on-site in the bar area (you can watch the chef at work). A great deal! There is also happy hour each evening where beer and wine is only 2€. Other perks: lots of computers with free internet access, free towels and mats to take to the beach (and return of course!), live music some evenings, a free walking tour (offered a couple of time a week) plus many other activities and great staff who offer lots of info on what to do and how to get places.

Of note: from Nice you can travel by bus to Monaco, St. Tropez, Cannes, Villefrance, Eze, etc. for only 1€.

The location of this hostel is very central. It's about a 5 minute walk to the famous pebble beaches of Nice and right in the downtown area. It is also near major tram and bus routes. You can easily walk to Old Nice - a lovely part of the city for dining, drinking, shopping and sightseeing. We loved the free walking tour offered by the hostel!

Liked Best: location, atmosphere, fresh cooked meals, friendly staff, free breakfast, walking tour, close to the beach

Liked Least: no lockers in rooms (but I think that is changing), it's at the higher end of prices for a hostel (but worth it!)

I loved Nice and it was definitely, at least in part, due to my great experience at this hostel. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed here a for 2 nights and loved it. It's just a 5 minute walk from the train station or 20 min taxi journey (taxi's are REALLY expensive so try get the train or bus). The hostel is also just by lots of shops, and restaurants. The bars are a bit scarce but the ones we found were really great. There is free wifi with a really good connection so easy to keep in touch. Also, they have singers, pianist etc in the evening which is great because everyone was in the communal area so a bit easier to make friends (always hard going "Hi! im steph - please be my friend!" but a bit easier when there is entertainemnt) the food and beer there is really good too so people mainly eat & drink there before going out. The room and showers were very clean. Also, the bus station is just round the corner, I took a bus to monaco which took 45mins and drove along the cost - all for 1 euro! the last bus home was at 6 so i took the train back which was only about 4 euros (ps: train station in Monaco is stunning! like a grand hotel, must have looked like SUCH a tourist taking pics- hahah). Breakfast is toast, cereal, coffee etc. Plus, I was out there during the rugby world cup and they put it on in the morning for me - they have a big projector screen - excellent! a great venue - couldnt recommend more.

Room Tip: I went for a smaller 6 person room