“How not to treat a paying guest during hard times for the travel industry”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sun Riviera Hotel

Sun Riviera Hotel
Ranked #44 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Englefield Green, Surrey
“How not to treat a paying guest during hard times for the travel industry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2009

I booked The Sun Riviera as it was central, looked pleasant and was to celebrate my wife's birthday. I booked the flights and the hotel for 2 nights in late September for arrival in December. Payment was taken for 1 night well in advance which I didn't mind for €173 for Privilege (Superior) Room. The day before we were due to leave the UK, I wanted to check the hotel's telephone number and noticed that less than 2 weeks after I made the booking the hotel was offering a special promotion for the same superior room for 3 nights for a total of €299 including breakfast. Since I was paying $346 plus $56 for 2 breakfasts for 2 days, my total would be $402 for only 2 nights.
I telephoned the hotel to ask whether I could have a discount since it was cheaper to stay for 3 nights on offer than the 2 nights that I had booked. I was told that the manageress was not in and she alone could agree to rebates. When we arrived I asked to see the manageress and was told she was not in until the following day but something would be done. The room had a stale smell, the bed quite old and the bathroom tiny. Not what we expected!
The following morning I asked to see the manageress but was told she was not coming in but they had put forward my request. The answer was a flat "no" to a rebate of any kind to which I replied that this was ridiculous as I could stay for longer for less. I asked to speak with the manageress but was refused.I threatened to write a report on Trip Advisor and would consider leaving and not stay a second night. We were called within 10 minutes by reception and were offered breakfast which meant that we were still paying and average rate of €173 versus €100 per night so we moved out as we were disgusted by their lack of customer care and consideration and the fact that we were only offered a miserly breakfast after making threats.
We moved out straight away and moved in to the Canberra Hotel nearby which was recently renovated and had a beautiful room reduced from €193 to €150 per night as it was low season. We would never stay at The Sun Riviera again due to their attitude and tired rooms.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank delboy26
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
chino hills, ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

We had alot of problems staying at this hotel. Our keys didn't work. We had a water problem that floooded our room. The beds are not comfortable. It is near all of the shopping and 3 blocks from the beach. The staff was not very helpful and the night staff is non-existent. It is a very small hotel. No food. No business center. No fitness center. They have tour information available, but they don't know much about them. You will wish you stayed at the Carlton.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank reemswebley
South Florida, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

The Sun Riviera is in a good spot in Cannes, everything of interest is within walking distance (the old town, the beach, the Palais, restaurants and cafes, shopping, casinos). The staff was friendly and the maid service was impeccable. The room itself was not huge but not cramped either. The furniture and carpet were spotless (I think they might have been brand new). The corridor outside the rooms is quite narrow so if you sleep in during the day you may hear some talking outside as other guests leave their rooms. This wasn't really an issue as this is a small hotel and the clientele is not the party-animal kind. We were in a room on the first floor with a great view of the street outside (Rue d' Antibes is great for shopping by the way). There was minimal noise coming from the street, night or day. There's also a small garden with a pool in the back, which is a treat. We rented a car and chose to park in the hotel parking lot (20 Euro per day) which was definitely worth it: we just took the elevator to our room instead of walking back after a long day. There is a public parking garage around the corner, but for the price it's definitely worth having the car in the hotel. Overall, we were very happy with our stay here and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TnC_NYC
West Midlands, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We visited the Sun Rivera in July 2008. We went there with Newmarket Holidays on a tour of Cannes & the South of France. We found Newmarket to be well organised and good value for money. The reps were also friendly and very informative. We used the hotel as a base to explore the region

Our initial impressions were not great. It is situated on a busy shopping street (ok if you like shopping I suppose) and on entering the reception area we noticed a small leak from the ceiling. Nevertheless, the hotel proved to be much better than we anticipated.

It is a small basic hotel but charming and clean. Our room although small was clean & comfortable. It had a large double bed & a modern clean bathroom. The fact we were overlooking the street was not ideal but not as noisy as we imagined it would be. I expect the rooms at the back overlooking the garden would be much more agreeable though. The hotel has a very pleasant garden area with a pool & sunbeds.

The hotels most advantageous selling point is without doubt its location, just a five-minute stroll to the bars & restaurants & 10 mins to the promenade/sea front & beach

Of the excursions we went on I would recommend them all

Nice is much larger than Cannes but not quite so pleasant. Whilst we were there, there was a market on. For a scenic train ride through Nice board the ‘Nice little train’ at Promenade des Anglais (English promenade) taking you through the old Town and up Castle hill for a stunning view over the Baie des Anges (Bay of Angles).

Grasse, apart from being the perfume capital of the world is a very quaint town & well worth a visit even if you just want to stop of at the perfume factory

Gourdon & Paul St Vence are must sees. Wonderfully picturesque old french towns with narrow cobbled streets & courtyards. St Paul De Vence is the much larger of the two and has a fine selection of art/craft shops

Another must see is St Marguerite Island only half a mile off shore from Cannes. It is incredibly picturesque with dense Mediterranean forest and you can also visit the Royal Fort that dates back to Roman times

Monte Carlo. The incredibly scenic drive along the coast from Cannes is worth it alone & of course you cant go to Monte Carlo without visiting the Casino which is as extravagant & impressive as it looks in photos

BAD POINTS
1. Breakfast was very basis Continental offering bread, croissants, fruit & yoghurt. You have to pay an additional charge for anything extra such as cereal, eggs, toast etc
2. Although the hotel had a bar it was never open of an evening. Nevertheless, when we asked at reception they were happy to open the bar & serve us
3. I have visited France numerous times but considering its reputation I find French food to be extremely overrated. During this trip it ranged from very good to very bad (the latter being the more common occurrence)
4. We were never informed when visiting the Casino we would need our passports to enter – the plus side of this being it probably saved us a lot of money!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RUUDBOY09
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

This hotel is great value for money. There was an event on in Cannes during the dates I needed to stay, and everything was sky-high. However, this nice little hotel offered a very reasonable price for a premium double room for single occupancy. The hotel is in a great location right on the Rue d'Antibes. My rorom was quite spacious, comfortable and well decorated, and overlooked a garden at the back. They have a very useful car park also at the back, as parking on the street is difficult and expensive. Do not expect many hotel services, such as a bar, restaurant, business center, etc. as they do not have them. However, this hotel is a little jem!

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business