“Great Meal, Great Service”

L'Assiette Provencale
Ranked #22 of 899 Restaurants in Cannes
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Provencale Cuisine
Reviewed 5 December 2017

I booked this a month or so in advance of our arrival in Cannes since it was hard to find a restaurant on a Monday evening. This was well worth the walk from the Carlton Hotel. Cannes is so lovely and so safe that it was just a promenade! On arrival we were seated in the front covered area-probably the patio in summer. There were two waiters who seemed to work in tandem-they even had on matching shoes! To start, I had the cream of mushroom soup with shrimp, and my other half had Risoto with duck and goat cheese. I had the Octopus stew, and he had the filet of pork mignon with mashed potatoes. Yummy yummy! For dessert, I had chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and pistachio sauce. He had the same dessert. I drank a bottle of the St. Tropez red wine, and he had L'Enfant Terrible Chardonay. We also had the free tap water. Lovely dinner, top notch service, and comfortable atmosphere. Definitely a place I recommend highly!

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

If in Cannes you must eat lunch or dinner here. We had lunch on a lovely sunny day. We began with a bottle of Provence rose wine. For our meals we had the set menus. My wife had the risotto starter, the sea bass main, and crème brûlée for dessert. I had the zucchini beignet starter, the seafood cannoli main, and wonderful cream tart with chocolate for dessert. The piece for the meal was a little more than we’d spend normally, elsewhere in Europe, but the cuisine and great service is worth every penny! Recommend going early for lunch or having reservations.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Whilst in Cannes visited here after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. Had the 3 course set menu and the food was amazing for such a good price. Tasty food and great service. Would recommend booking though as we were lucky and got the last table and saw a few people turned away.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

I came across this restaurant when I was researching affordable places to eat in Cannes. The restaurant offers a choice of set menus which are excellent value.

The restaurant is located by Vieux Port (Old Port) and outdoor tables have views of the luxury yachts in the harbour. When I arrived the restaurant was busy and I was offered a seat next to 4 Lemon meringue pie, so I felt I ended up with the best seat in the house.

I chose from one of the set menus. I had seem excellent reviews for their fritters and they deserved their delicious reputation. The risotto was too was excellent. The Lemon meringue pie was divine and highly recommended.

If you're ordering from the set menu and have any dietary requirements check with the waiter first, as I nearly ordered stuffed vegetables only to find they are stuffed with meat.

Service was excellent and very attentive even through they were busy and had a large group in. The restaurant had a lovely ambiance and I would recommend a visit here.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

I had two nights in Cannes in early September, at the beginning of a river cruise. I knew nothing of the city, except for the film festival, so I expected many restaurants would cater to the red carpet set - with matching prices. I was hoping for something a little more reasonable. I searched TripAdvisor, and this place caught my eye. I tried it my first night and was so impressed I went back for the second.

It sits across the road from a marina in the old harbour part of town, so normally it would have a nice view. Unfortunately, that week the city was setting up for a yacht show, so all across the street were portable cabanas. Still, the sidewalk tables and the wonderful food more than made up for that deficit.

The menu is appealing, and everything has English subtitles, so for someone who took classes in French over three decades ago, it was very welcoming. Not all the waiters are fluent in English, but for those who weren't the combination of my French and their English was more than adequate. Plus, their tolerance of my efforts was both welcoming and a bit surprising. (This was my first time in France, and my pre-conceptions were, as i turns out, many years out of date...)

Despite many temptations on the regular menu, I opted for the fixed price options. They have two, one for 26 Euro and one for 31. As it turned out, I chose both, on separate days. They included different choices for appetizer, main and dessert. I went for the higher one the first day because one of mains called out to me: sea bass over seafood cannellonis with shellfish sauce. It was fabulous.

I chose a crab tartare for a starter. Obviously, the crab was not raw, but served in a delightful cream sauce and framed by a slice of cucumber.

The mousse was piped inside a dark chocolate half shell and served with a berry coulis.

Two nights, two different experiences. Whereas the first night was rich, elegant, and exquisitely delicate, the second was hearty, robust - and enough food for a hungry trucker. The first meal would not have been out of place in a four star restaurant. The second suggested a famous country inn.

I had country pate a la maison, sea bream, and lemon tart. The first course was huge, a palm-sized slab of pate accompanied by a small green salad and caramelized onions. It was so good I needed two glasses of a hearty red to give it its due. (Well, I didn't "need" two glasses, but...)

The sea bream was delicious, and a welcome contrast after the pate. It is no accident that so many reviews comment on the sea bream.

The lemon tart was great - and, again, a trencherman's slice.

I would have gone back a third night if I had one, because both nights I was tortured by the smells of the gambas a la plancha from neighbouring tables.

The wine list is not huge, but perfectly adequate. More importantly for me, as a single, there is a great selection of wine by the glass. The Touraine sauvignon blanc is brilliant with seafood and my first waiter's suggestion of a muscat with dessert was very nice.

I had two fabulous meals, at just about 50 Euro each, plus tip. (Tips are included in the price as my waiter on the second night took pains to point out - but I added one anyway.)

Thanks, TripAdvisor. This was a great beginning to a fine holiday. I whole-heatedly recommend this restaurant.