“Stumbled onto a delightful lunch”
Review of La Sou' Pape

La Sou' Pape
Ranked #38 of 638 Restaurants in Avignon
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 20
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stumbled onto the cafe after touring the bridge. My husband ordered the specialty of the day, fish with rice and i had the hamburger with fries. They were out of pain so no sandwiches. The dishes were excellent especially the fish. The prices were very reasonable. On a sunny spring day it was a lovely place to spend the afternoon.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Perfect service, very kind staff, acceptable pricing.
Near the most important sights.
Always special attention for the kids.

Reviewed 30 December 2016

We happened into this fun establishment by chance on our second day of a month stay in Avignon. Despite our arrival during the afternoon "difficult" period, we were greeted with cheer and served delicious coffee, wine and some pastry. As we lounged, we were treated to a steady flow of locals who clearly use this cafe as their meeting place to chat. Since this place was only a couple blocks from our apartment, it became our go-to place during our weekly visit from our housekeeper. Denis in the kitchen always managed to come up with some snack to have with our coffee. His wife, in front, memorized our coffee order almost immediately, and quickly fetched some while making us feel very warm and wanted. The "neighbors" got to know us a bit also. By our last visit, we were accepted into some of the group chat, and left with kisses and hugs. It was a delightful way to get to know some of the friendly local citizens while enjoying simple fare and coffee.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

We ate outside in the sunshine and they helpfully put up a parasol for us. The proprietors are very friendly and seem to know everyone. We had huge sandwiches with fresh bread and crunchy salad: very good value for money.

Reviewed 4 February 2016

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of finding La Sou' Pape after seeing their menu board after coming back from the river on our way back to our hotel. Seeing Panini sandwiches and burgers for $5 we decided to able in. The very small, non descript cafe had very few customers at 1:30 pm but that didn't' dissuade us from trying it out.

What a pleasant surprise this turned out to be. As we were perusing the limited menu, the owners man and wife) were both very friendly and helpful in ordering. At one point, the owner wanted me to try the "special of the day" and what I understood was "gratin" which obviously meant with cheese sauce. He brought me a sample and I tasted the most delicious home made potatoes but would characterized them as scalloped potatoes and not au gratin. They were loaded with butter and cream and they were fabulous. He referred to beef which I thought he meant was inside the potato dish but he was actually referring to the steak main dish which were served with the scalloped potatoes. It was a pretty good cut of meat served medium rare (more rare to me but still good) and the combination was Tres Magnifique!!

My wife had the panini with chicken, goat cheese and a basil spread. She really enjoyed it and for 5 euros it was a great deal. I also had 2 delish Orangina's and she had water. Our total bill was 22E. This was a great meal and it was quite inexpensive.

At the end of the meal the owner was explaining (I think) how he gets his produce from a local procurer and he was telling us about all of the varieties of greens and tomatoes he gets in the summer. He then proceeded to bring out a tub of freshly washed greens and gave us several samples of assorted greens (beet greens, mustard greens, chinese something or other and a few others). What a delightful, personal touch! Both of them were gracious, friendly and helpful. No angry Frenchman stereotype possible here. Just a great experience.

2  Thank dspindler