All reviews working farm monique horses bulls camargue region mas
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Our family stayed in Le Pigeonnier in September 2013 - a delightful cottage that sleeps four. We had picked up our car in Avignon, and it was an easy drive (with GPS) to Mas St Germain. The accommodation was spotlessly clean, with a well stocked kitchen, small living room and very steep stairs to the two upstairs bedrooms. We have two horse-mad children (8 & 10), and they LOVED having horses in the paddock next to our house. This is a working farm, growing organic rice, breeding cattle and horses, so there is always something happening. We booked in for a guided horse trek and had a great time - the horses were perfectly matched to our varying abilities, and we got to see all aspects of the farming, as well as the flamingoes in the Lake. One evening we picked blackberries to have for dinner (and got bitten by midges!). Every morning we had fresh (still warm) bread delivered to us, and ate it outside in the sun, with our other breakfast supplies (all very good - great homemade jams too). Everyone was friendly and helpful - including when my daughter fell over and cut her leg badly - they provided a first aid kit to help clean it and gave directions to the hospital, so we could easily get there. For us, three nights was a good length of time to stay - we also visited Aigues Mortes and Stes Maries de la Mer. For a longer stay in summer with kids, we'd probably want access to a pool, however, we really enjoyed our visit and the peaceful country location.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here in the main building B&B for two nights in May 2013.

Pros:
Beautifully decorated large room with quality ensuite
Lovely host who made her own cake and jam for the breakfast
Excellent location for bird-watching in Camargue
Good restaurant just around the corner (very rustic with quality traditional French home cooking)

We don't have any cons.

We really enjoyed staying in an original, rustic working farm. While we were there they were rounding up the bulls for bull fighting in a local village, which although isn't our thing was very interesting. We would like to live here!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sennachie
Reviewed 12 August 2012

After finishing a tour of the region I wanted to spend some extra days. I found Mas Saint Germain on the Internet. I was absolutely delighted with the large spacious room and modern bathroom. Everything was spotlessly clean and Monique could not have been a nicer hostess. One morning I had to get up way before dawn and I was not expecting breakfast at that early hour, but Monique had my breakfast laid out. I am a photographer and wanted to take some photos of the place and she told me to go where I wanted and take any photos. I hope to return one day with my husband and will definitely stay there again. Don't forget to get some of their wonderful red rice to take home, it is delicious.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kathy R
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I would like to echo everything noted in the below review. We stayed here for three days, and we had a very similar experience. The location is perfect, in the middle of the Camargue, a very short drive or long walk to see the flamingos in the largest lake. Easy drives to Aigues Mortes, Arles, and all around the Camargue. And as the other review said, you're on a working farm that has several dozen black camargue bulls, about 30 white camargue horses, rice paddies, wheat fields, etc., all adjacent to the lake with the flamingos. It really is beautiful. And we highly recommend the horse ride. We were complete beginners and had a great time riding around the extensive property.

That said, the cottage we stayed in had somewhat dated bathroom and kitchen. And if you truly can't live with bugs in the house, they are somewhat unavoidable. These were not big jungle bugs, but rather the kind of flies/spiders that you find in the country. The important stuff (beds/sheets etc.) were perfectly clean, but in the corners of the ceiling/windows, you'll find some cobwebs and flies flying around.

Like the reviewer below, we were completely happy to have stayed here and would book it again if we go to the Camargue again. Just go in with expectations appropriate, and it should be a great time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GaryT770
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I have given this four for the amazing location. If you are going to stay in the Camargue I highly recommend staying in a private farm/mas. I think its the only way you can get a feel for this remarkable place. HOWEVER there are what people might think of as very serious downsides to this so I am going to try and explain.
1. This is a working farm so its not a hotel primarily focused on looking after you. We were in one of the cottages 'the berger/shepherds one' which was very cute but also run down. The shower tiles were cracked etc, the bathroom wouldnt meet some people's idea of spotless and the bed had seen better days. However, I dont think i would have wanted to be anywhere else. It was wonderful to hear the owl next to the window in the evening and to wake up and look out and see the black cattle with the white egrets on their backs through the morning mist.
2. You can go out on a ride around the estate and the etang de vaccares which, if you can put up with a young girl yelling at you not to pull on the reins, is a lovely way to see the real camargue and much more preferable to the rides which you can get along the main 'strip' road into Saintes Maries de la mer.
We loved our stay here, we felt we really experienced a real working mas in the camargue which has been in the family for generations, but someone who is concerned about cleanliness and a hotel-like service will probably absolutely hate this place.

• Stayed: November 2010