“Comfortable Room and Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anne d'Anjou

Anne d'Anjou
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Saumur
Ontario, Canada
“Comfortable Room and Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in mid-April. The owner of the hotel was frequently in the lobby making sure that guests had were content and to provide information. The front desk spoke fluent English and always had a smile and helpful information. Portions of the hotel have historic interest particularly the art on the ceilings above the staircase.

There is a single elevator in the hotel so there are occasional slow-ups. The room was clean, well equipped with wireless and a flat screen TV. Our room was located on the Loire River side of the hotel and the view at sunset or sunrise was really quite beautiful. We left the window open at night and were rarely disturbed by the street traffic below. There is a wardrobe in the room which could easily accommodate all our clothes. We enjoyed the included breakfast which went far beyond the usual breakfast in France and included hot dishes, as well as lovely croissants, teas, coffees, yoghurts, cereals, fruit and cheeses. A good start to the day.

The center of town is about a ten minute walk from the hotel. In general the town is easily walkable. There are quite a few excellent restaurants in the area around the town square. One morning we went for a walk and ended up at the Combier Distillery where Triple Sec originated - its about a half hour walk from the hotel and provides tours and free samples of its many products. Saumur is in a wine -growing region and the wines produced can be purchased at the lovely hotel restaurant - Les Menestreles, which is quite popular.. The food was very good, nicely presented and the the service excellent.

A nice stay and we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The warning signs were there when this hotel wouldn't let me book an additional night beyond what I'd booked through an online booking site unless I completely cancelled the online booking (thereby depriving the online site of its commission). I had asked them for a quiet room, and they obliged by giving me one on the chateau side. The view was spectacular, but the walls in the hotel are paper-thin, and someone in the adjoining room had a horrible hacking smoker's cough.

The interior walls are ultra-thin. In addition to hearing every cough and wheeze of my neighbor, I could hear conversations and bathroom sounds. I asked if they had another room. They showed me another room on the street side, which had a beautiful river view, but was also on the main road. In addition to being noisy, it had an odd yeasty odor, which was less pleasant than the odor of smoke in the other room. It also had a much older and sagging mattress so I returned to the first room. In the process, the hotel key got misplaced, which I notified them of immediately.

I was scheduled to stay 4 nights. On the second day I asked the desk clerk if I could check out a night early and he told me it would be no problem and even recommended a hotel in Angers. On my last night, a different person told me I would have to pay for the 4th night, even though I'd already paid for a room elsewhere. It took a long, unpleasant conversation with the manager on the morning on which I checked out to get them not to charge me for the night I wasn't staying. After finally prevailing on them not to charge me, he told me, however, that I would have to pay them 86 Euros (about $115) for the room key. Since I had never taken the key out of the hotel (it weighs a ton), I told them the key had to be in the second room I'd looked at or in my luggage, though I had searched that the moment the key went missing. Of course, since they had waited 2 days to tell me there would be a charge for a lost key, I could no longer look for it in the 2nd room as it was occupied. There are no signs notifying you of the stiff charge if you lose the key, nor do they offer to let you take the key off the heavy metal base, which is apparently the costly part. I eventually found the key in the compartment where the handle for my luggage is, but for them to even try to charge that much for a lost key is criminal. To their credit they did eventually agree not to charge me, but it took a good 20 minutes of polite but firm arguing.

This was the only hotel I stayed in that didn't have reprogrammable keys. Even if you don't lose the key, the fact that they are still using old-fashioned keys makes the rooms less secure, and there are no safes in the rooms. There is also no A/C, and no central heat. There is a radiator and a separate noisy unit in the bathroom that cycles on and off loudly.

The staff spoke English, and other than the manager were pleasant and helpful -- hence the 2 stars. There are more centrally located hotels in Saumur (this one was a longish walk from the center), but Chinon is even prettier and much more lively and if I had to do it over I'd have stayed there. The courtyard might be nice in summer, but in May it's just an unappealing patch of dirt.

The on-site restaurant Les Menestrals is gorgeous and one of the few fine dining sites near the center. The food was not spectacular, but it was such a pretty restaurant I didn't mind and the service was impeccable.

Eat at Les Menestrals, but stay somewhere else.

The first room I was given

Room Tip: Rooms on the chateau side are quieter, but the interior walls are still very thin. Unless you are a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linda P
washington, dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Had a lovely room overlooking the Loire. Staff was so helpful in recommending restaurants. It's a convenient location for sightseeing - Chinon, Usse, Fontevraud, etc. Plus they have parking!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I love this hotel, I have seldom had a warmer welcome than here. I love the atmosphere and the rooms. The hotel gave us some good advice about where to eat (Le Grand Bleu), which was great.

Spend some time at the hotel itself, the library is recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view to the castle, the view is stunning. Also, if you have a family, there...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RuneViking
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

Our tour organiser selected this hotel for us so we had no say in the choice. It is in a super spot on the Loire with the chateau looming behind. We had a courtyard room which was very clean but like a lot of these old buildings hard to modernise. The bathrooms had been and were modern, well fitted and very clean. Others in the party with rooms over the Loire had mixed views as is mentioned elsewhere as the road can be noisy or you could just have a view of the sky through roof windows. That said it is in an impressive setting, the staff are truly welcoming and pleasant and very helpful with restaurant tips etc. The breakfast I thought was adequate but with an unimaginative selection. I can't comment on value for money as the choice was made for us but knowing our organiser I am sure he saw it as value or he would not have chosen it. We had a group meal in the restaurant attached although I understand not part of the hotel, Les Menestrels, which was delightful but again I can't comment on value for money but I am sure it would have been.
If we visit this area again I would certainly look at staying here again.

Room Tip: Probably a courtyard room is to ber preferred
  • Stayed April 2011