“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 30 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Wellington
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

A fabulous two night stay in this wonderful guesthouse. We had a groundfloor room so able to drive the car right to the door to offload luggage. Large comfortable room, beautifully furnished in antiques, yet modern large bathroom (2 basins a plus). Couldn't believe it when we stepped out of the gates and there was the magnificent Cathedral at our doorstep. Likewise the Tapestry 2 minutes walk away. Loved the town, loved le Tardiff. Wouldn't stay anywhere else if in Bayeux!

Room Tip: Central but quiet gardened hotel, so all rooms would be good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
Northern Va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed at Hotel Tardif last fall. We didn't realize it was a B&B when we booked and aren't B&B people, but really enjoyed our stay. Anthony was a helpful, friendly host, and his dog, Atlas, was a real sweetie. We would've missed seeing William the Conqueror's castle, which we thought was really neat, if Anthony hadn't asked us about our travel plans for the day & suggested a visit there. (Btw, pass on the WWII museum-more of a photo/reading gallery with a handful of exhibits). Breakfast was amazing every morning and we're still missing the fresh, delicious yogurt. The gardens outside were nice a nice place to sit & enjoy the quiet & view at the end of the day. Having the private parking at Hotel Tardif was an additional plus. As another poster mentioned, sound carries well in this old home and we had some noisy neighbors a night or two. The mattresses were very soft, but we found this was the case no matter where we stayed in France. The room & bathroom were very clean. Bathrooms are nice & modern while the rooms were furnished in a more vintage/antique style. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed at this B& B. It should not have hotel in its title. Gentleman who ran the place had bad temper. Constantly reprimanding our group for not following his directions, which were vague. I ask for a wake up call. He informed me that this was a home not a hotel. Rude.
He had told me to put my bags in the hall we had come in and out of.I put them in the front hall. He meant the back hall. When he transferred them he was upset with me. I tried to take them from him. At that time he told me to be quiet I would wake of the other guest. One minute he was nice, next rude. Towels horrible. We went to see the tapesteries and have lunch before we left. Returned to get our car. I need to use the restroom. He informed me that there was none in the inn for me to use. I will not stay there again or recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jkmal
triptico, Owner at Hotel Tardif Noble Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Madam,

It's always a shame when people simply summarize a story with negative things to report only, and totally forget positive ones. It's true that things didn't start well...
You had booked online, through a famous reservation website, 3 DOUBLE rooms for 6 people and were of course given 3 Double rooms. You arrived as 5 people instead of 6, not a problem at all. But as soon as I showed you the 3 rooms you immediately complained that one room had no twin beds and required one with a very authoritarian manner. Unfortunately you had never specified on your confirmation that you needed twin beds in a room, or that you would be 5 women travelling together, so I still don’t understand how I was suppose to guess your needs and why this was my fault/problem as you accused me... Anyway we were fully booked that night, we no other rooms to propose you. So I promised you that we would provide you twin beds for the next nights. And I promised you had it.
Then about the fact that you were speaking loud, I’m sorry Madam but I had complains from other American guests who just waited to rest while you were really loud in corridors and hallways. You had decided to start early for long days of touring, what is very good. But some people had other plans… like resting. And trust me they are some loud voices that no soundproofing can stop!
Every morning your friends greeted me with a smile, said they had a good night, thanked me for breakfast, helping with the bags or the car, giving directions... what I was happy to do. I guess you were happy too when I proposed you to leave your car here “all long as you need” the day of your check out. It even gave you time to have lunch in town and enjoy the town. You are the only one who did not want to tell me good bye. Never mind, I’m the host, you were the guest, so i came to your car to wish you a safe trip home. The others had come before to say good bye and I even had what your Cuban friend calls an “American hug” . She promised me to come back here and I hope so because she was very kind and full of joy.
To conclude I’m sincerely sorry that did not enjoy all about your stay in our guesthouse (and not B&B). But I’m happy to know that your friends had a better time at HOTEL TARDIF NOBLE GUESTHOUSE. Future guests will be able to read the lovely message they wrote in my guest book before to go.

Regards,

Anthony VOIDIE
Milton WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Fantastic location! Gated parking practically next door to the tapestry exhibition. The hotel is very welcoming -- as is the host, who speaks perfect English. Of course, the town is within walking distance, so you can park your car and forget it -- if you want to! The room was very comfortable and very clean. We only had 2 nights here. On the second day, we walked to the bus station (a little distance, but easy walking), and took a public bus to the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial. (Although it did seem that parking would not have been a problem at the Memorial.) Fortunately, our timing was great, and we were at the cemetery in time for an English speaking tour.
We enjoyed breakfast one morning at the Tardif. The dining room is inviting with one large table. You just need to let someone know the evening before if your are joining them for breakfast. We just wish we had had more time to stay in Bayeux and visit more of the Normandy coast. We certainly recommend the Tardif

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Scotts Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Beautifully maintained and comfortable rooms. This quiet B&B is centrally located around the corner from the church and a block from the center walking street/main street of town. The owner and attendant of the hotel is super accommodating and makes a great quiche for breakfast. Other than the pipes "banging" in the middle of the night when you flush the toilet, this place is peaceful and very well kept. I recommend this place for any length of stay in Bayeux. Oh and there is free parking on-site and the garden area is great for letting the kids run around in too.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view so you can really hear the birds singing in the morning
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family