“Cosy, comfortable and welcoming”
Review of Villa Aggarthi B&B

Villa Aggarthi B&B
Ranked #16 of 31 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 March 2016

A charming family B&B. Our room was quiet and warm. The scrambled eggs and home made preserves were lovingly prepared and satisfying. Should we stay in Bayeux again we'll definitely see if Villa Aggarthi is available.

Room Tip: Our warm room made this a good pick for February.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2016

Bottom line: If you want a true family run Bed & Breakfast that’s clean with a comfortable bed and good breakfast I’d recommend this place. Although they weren’t a nuisance at all, if you’d prefer not to have animals around (we counted four small dogs and two cats) in the public outdoor areas, look elsewhere.
Bayeux may be a small town, but it has lots of tourist activity. There’s a railroad station with a direct route to Paris, it’s home to a thousand year-old tapestry and a beautiful cathedral, has lots of nice shops, and it serves as a jumping off point for D-Day and Mont Saint-Michel excursion tours and to the rest of Normandy. Everything is within short walking distance of Villa Aggarthi.
We had a very pleasant two day stay at Chambres d'Hôtes Villa Aggarthi. It is a true family run Bed & Breakfast tucked away on a side street behind a large red wooden gate. The owner’s daughter was most gracious, ushered us in and showed us around. There are two buildings on the property with a center courtyard which serves as a driveway for parking. Farther ahead, as you stand in the courtyard, is a lovely garden which we weren’t able to enjoy since it was cool. The building on the left seems to be the family residence with the breakfast room on the ground floor. The building on the right is for guests. As you enter the guest building there is a small, but well equipped kitchen, a single room to the left and stairs leading to rooms upstairs. The kitchen area is for guest use and includes a small fridge, microwave, dishes, utensils and all the supplies for making coffee and tea. We stayed on the ground floor in that room directly off the guest kitchen (window facing the courtyard). It’s simply a single room, nothing fancy, with a large comfy double bed which takes up most of the room, a tiny table with chairs and a bathroom (shower/toilet). There’s not much room for your luggage, but we managed fine. It was very clean and our bed was made and windows opened when we went out. Although breakfast starts at 8:00, they accommodated us with an earlier start because we had an early tour scheduled. The breakfast was good and plentiful. In addition to the standard continental breakfast offerings, there were warm foods of scrambled eggs each day plus waffles on one day – crepes the next.
We had an issue with Booking.com’s “match price guarantee.” After I had booked, I had found the same place at a lower price on a different site. I needed confirmation of payment and stay to get a refund. The owner’s son immediately stamped our confirmation email, signed it and we received our refund without any problems.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TeacherTess
Reviewed 20 October 2015 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent one night with Miryam and her family at Aggarthi B&B. We had a great experience. The room was small, but cozy and Miryam and her son were excellent hosts. They took care of everything for us, including a delicious breakfast the morning we departed. It was a truly authentic French countryside experience. Remember, this is a B&B so you'll have a more personal interaction with the proprietors than a simple hotel. Would highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2015

Beware! Terrible experience. Myriam, Aggarthi owner, is dishonest. Myriam canceled my 1st booking because I did not receive her email request for payment. When I finally got an email from her, Myriam demanded payment within "12 hours", "TODAY", or she would cancel my room and charge me140 € (for the canceled room) plus 98 €, for "[her] fee". I rebooked again, & told Myriam not to cancel. Myriam demanded my credit card information be sent via unsecured hotel email. I asked 3-4x, if I could pay with Paypal (I do not send credit card information via unsecured emails). No response. 3 weeks later, my card statement showed she charged me 238 €, for 140 € room. I emailed Myriam several times, & asked for the 98€ refund. No response. At the hotel, Myriam refused to see me in person. I spoke to her daughter & asked for the 98€ refund, she said "no", because it was an amex charge, to the hotel, to use amex. I asked for amex written documentation. No documentation, I was told amex "verbally" approved the 98 € charge. I asked to use their phone to collect call amex to cancel the charge and then pay with a card that does not charge a 98 € fee. Myriam would not allow me to use their phone. Myriam's story then changed, and I was told that Booking.com gave her the ok to charge 98 €. Again, I asked for written documentation. Again, no documentation, Booking.com told Myriam "verbally", to charge me 98 €. Back in the usa, I called Booking.com, they did not give Myriam a verbal ok to charge an extra 98 €. I filed a complaint with Booking.com. Myriam's story then changed a 3rd time, she emailed Booking.com and said that "the 98 € was the charge for the 3rd person". We were 2 people, we were never 3. Myriam knows we were not 3 people. I called amex, they did not charge Myriam 98 € to use their card. Amex said a 98 € charge on a 140 € room was "excessive". JTLUK- Their Booking.com "Fine Print" says, "Please note that the total amount of the booking will be requested upon arrival and has to be paid by cash."

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank dr-pluma
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

This place was one of our favorite parts of our vacation. This place has an incredibly beautiful garden, extremely friendly and helpful hosts, and amazing history! If you are going to the beaches of Normandy, you need to stay here. Walking distance from the train and into town, you find yourself at a peaceful and calming retreat. There are little dogs and cats running around too to remind you of your little loved ones. They make you fresh delicious breakfast every morning. We were going to head back to Paris, but we ended up staying an extra night bc we loved it so much!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
aggarthi, Propriétaire at Villa Aggarthi B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Dear Lisa,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our bed and breakfast and its familial way of life. Your comment gives us more energy to keep on sharing our beloved home with new and open-minded people.
Please make sure to come back anytime!