All reviewstrain stationlille centresmall gymminute walkroom servicemini barby footweekend tripwalking distancecentral locationbuffet breakfastspoke englishtea and coffeedouble bedthe main squarelong weekendone night stay
Reviewed 26 December 2017

Welcoming staff, good breakfast, good rooms, walking distance from beautiful city center (Grand place, place du theatre...). Many excellent restaurants close-by, walking distance as well.
A riskless choice !

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 10 December 2017

In general in Western Europe Novotel has struggled in Europe to keep up with other 4* like Marriott & Hilton (I have had some great Novotel hotels in Poland) but this one shows how low the brand has failed spectacularly.

This hotel is at the same level as an ibis. I booked for 3 nights during a work trip and found somewhere where the staff are friendly but let down by ineffectual organisation and poor facilities.

The Reception: I had a very friendly welcome and I booked breakfast and was told that the internet was free and where the elevators were.

The elevators has a broken security system which allows anyone up to to the floors. In a 4* hotel I expect effective security, especially in France.

Internet was close to non existent in terms of bandwidth. I like the idea of free internet. but I would rather pay for something which works and where speed isn't dependent on the number of guests at the hotel

The Room: It was clean, but sparcly decorated as if cleaning was more important than guest comfort, also there was not a pen or piece of paper in site. It also came with a well worn carpet and the standard western European novotel spray concrete on the walls which make it look like something like 1950s British social housing. I think whoever did styling for Novotel grew up 1940s mental asylum, because there really isn't any style.

TV: This was modern, however it lacked any ability to connect my laptop. More and more hotels are providing facilities for this.

Bed: This was very very comfortable. I loved it.

Shower & Bathroom: Novotel Western Europe Standard. Warm water, the temperature safety valve on the wrong side of the shower head (being used as the off and on) and the off and on part of the tap used to control the temperature (prob good if you teach your fitters how to read instructions for fitting taps).

Breakfast: Day 1: I loved the idea of frying your own eggs. and it was a nice relaxing experience. Like most French hotels the breakfast variety was limited.

Breakfast: Day 2: Today: Took 10 mins to find a seat, then i just decided to clear a table which looked abandoned of its dirty plates, I was about to walk behind the bar and find a cloth to clean it myself when some member of staff popped up and helped. The staff were walking around and trying their best, but LACKED ANY FORM OF FLOOR MANAGEMENT to direct them. The food was running out, it took around 10 mins before I could get a coffee as the machine was empty (Note to staff the coffee machine serves coffee which is far too cold, I would be able to swim in it and need a wetsuit to prevent me freezing).
The water for making tea was finished and everything appeared to be running out. As a hotel you know how many guests have booked breakfast (because Novotel offers a discount if you book in advance) so there is no excuse for this.

Supper: Due to work I have had 2 suppers here. The food is OK but not amazing value. Day 1 I have some great service, Day 2 was obviously the Saturday team.

So all in, would I stay here again if in Lille: Probably not, unless something radically changes and I am show what that change is. I did discover that other guest got radically cheaper rates than me through a travel website.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel appear to be quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Was attending a gig at the Zenith and as a 4 star, I thought this would be a nice treat. Sadly it isn't a 4 star, neither is it a 4 star experience.

Staff were nice but there was confusion about check in, on one of the accor groups official websites check in was advertised as 12 and when we arrived about 11.45 we were told it was 1pm. We then weren't helped or offered an early check in, we were permitted to leave our bags however but then went off to find a cafe in the rain.

Upon finding our room, it was a bit tired and not the cleanest. Similar to a tired travelodge for a UK comparison so a 3 star at best and not a good 3 star by any means. We paid extra for a better room only to find that this meant the same standard as the cheaper rooms just with a cheap sofa. So not worth the extra cash.

We were hungry and tired so opted to have paninis from the hotel restaurant, these were hard, barely filled and not pleasant.

Really disappointing stay and although a convenient location I would implore anyone to consider an alternative.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel looks at tired offices and a dirty fountain
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2017

When I checked in and the receptionist explained the timings for breakfast, I asked him to confirm whether breakfast was included. I had thought that it was not - but he said it was. I asked him to check and reconfirm that and he did so. The next day I decided to take a croissant and a coffee, since I had been told it was included in the price. Later my bill had an additional cost of €18. When I queried it they refused to refund the money. This type of thing is common with Accor. It is subtle a way of adding profit by reversing a customer's initial choices. If the receptionist had told me that I had a free bottle of champagne, and naturally I accepted it, I would have been billed for the cost afterwards.

In my experience, if a complaint is made to Accor directly, they politely acknowledge your message, promise a reply, and then…. NOTHING.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere - but if you really want Accor, use Mercure Vieux Lille or Novotel Suites
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel is ok but 4 star over rates it. Main complaint is having waited over 20 minutes to be served at dinner in the fairly quiet restaurant we were told by the abrupt waiter we would have to wait as he had other tables to serve. We found this very rude and left to have dinner at a very good restaurant nearby ( one of many available). I will not tolerate rudeness and this attitude has ensured the hotel will not be used again. If the restaurant is understaffed that is not my problem and I expect courtesy and good service.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business