“Pleasant reception, but..”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
Reviewed 20 November 2016

In one line: agreeable receptionists, cleaning woman who doesn't know her job and the greedy owner.
Both receptionists I had an opportunity to speak with (Vincent and Alan) were intelligent and agreeable interlocutors. Our conversations that went beyond regular tourist questions, brought me pure intellectual enjoyment.
The breakfast is over-priced. For 9,5 euros you get a basket with croasson, baguette, butter, hot drink (tea/coffee/chocolate), orange juice, natural yogurt and cereals.Cereals are the only thing you can take as much as you want. With other things in the list be happy with what you get and don't ask more or ask but for the next breakfast.
My room was suffocating: with closed window I hadn't an air, with open one I breathed exhausts.
However this was cleaning woman who ruined my stay. The first and the last time she entered to the room she didn't make a bed, nor replaced the towel she took, but decided that my cup belong to the hotel (or that I don't need it anymore) and took it to the kitchen.
This cup is precious for me and before I discovered what happened with it, I had half an hour in the Hell. And for this "amazing" experience the compensation I received was the price of one breakfast. Now I know why the breakfast is over-priced: the owner of the hotel is a miser.
So it's your decision to stay there or not. Me personally hope I'll find next time another hotel to stay in it.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

We chose this hotel for its location very close to Comedie. It was inexpensive (109€ for a triple).
Location was awesome, but the hotel offered a minimum of anything else. We had a triple which was far in the back with a lack of windows. There a lift to get you part way up.

The room was spacious enough, yet a bit tired like the rest of the property. Minimum linens but enough to get you through. The beds were very firm with minimum pillows. Not particularly comfortable.

Free wifi in rooms was nice.
Parking is in public lot. Hotel offers a discount, but only for 12 hours. We were there for 18hours and paid the 24 hour price which was close to 25€. Figure this out before hand.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2016

The hotel is located very conveniently near to La Comedie and the train station. Its best asset is the cordial and nice attitude of those who work in it. It is nice and comfortable, but you have to be careful that it closes at 1 AM so if you plan a late dinner or outing be sure to be back on time.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2016

Stayed here for a week. It is just 5minute walk from the train station, 2min walk to La Comedies Square where there is a supermarket, tram stop, tourist bureau and many cafés. The hotel is small, rooms aero clean. I had my own bathroom. Breakfast is available. Staff speak many languages and are accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2015

We stayed here as an overnight stop for an early train and it was perfect. A five minute level walk from the main station and on a quiet road just 100m from La Comedie, the main centre of Montpellier. The hotel is tastefully furnished as one would expect from the name and the room we had with its' excellent little en-suite was superb. The room was quiet and comfortable especially considering it was on a relatively major street. The electric roll down shutter eliminated all sound and light very effectively.
The air-conditioner in the room coped admirably with the scorching heat currently being experienced in Europe (40c). The staff welcome and registration was speedy and friendly and we were in our room 10 minutes after getting off the train!.
The slightly pricey breakfast was however good quality and served in a very pleasant room. They even had a teapot for our fussy English tea!
The only insignificant niggle was the shower head holder in the en suite was one of those ball types that doesn't actually hold the shower head and it kept dropping.
I would recommend this hotel, at least the en-suite rooms, to anyone and will stay again when we explore the surprisingly interesting city. The free wireless internet was excellent and seemed very strong as we were able to watch video.
And the whole hotel is non-smoking.

Room Tip: Choose an en-suite unless you are keen to share facilities.