“Delicious Duck, veggie option too”
Review of Au Petit Sud Ouest - CLOSED

Au Petit Sud Ouest
Price range: US$ 55 - US$ 73
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Au Petit Sud Ouest is specialized on Duck and duck / goose liver (Foie gras). You have to like duck !! Open for lunch from 12 to 2:30 pm (last order at 2:30 pm) and dinner from 6 pm to 10 pm (last order at 10 pm). Better to make a booking. We are closed on Sunday and Monday and August. We have a shop too... Open from 9 am to midnight. Take away lots of differents "Foie gras" (duck or goose liver fresh or by tins)
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband ordered the duck breast-confit I think- and it was absolutely delicious. I normally say I don't like duck, (in fact I ordered as a vegetarian here because I was afraid to try it) but this is the best I've ever had. It was cooked to perfection. It was seared on the outside, tender and pink on the inside. It had the texture and appearance of a very good, thick filet. Wow. I should have ordered the duck after all! I ordered the vegetable terrine, which is served on a plate and has the texture of pate'. I was thinking it would be a "tureen" of vegetables, but enjoyed the terrine pate's. They were very good. I had the fried potatoes along with my vegetable terrine and was satisfied. (She told me I could have had scrambled eggs or salmon if I wanted) For dessert my husband had the creme brûlée and I had the apple tart slightly perfumed with Armagnac. Both were very tasty. The service was very good and the waitress all smiles and friendliness. It is so cozy and quaint. I would definitely go back here again and would recommend that you make reservations first. It fills up quickly and without reservations you may get turned away. A couple showed up right at the 7pm opening time and were seated, though.
You don't have to dress up to eat here, it is casual. Look for the green awning when trying to find the restaurant at 46 Avenue de la Bourdonnais.

1  Thank strawberries4U

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We ate here this week and indeed the service and friendly attention from the Owner referred to by others is totally justified.
We ordered entrees and main courses each.
If you do not like duck you have a problem at this establishment.
The main courses of duck confit and duck stew were both flavoursome but tended to be overcooked IOO. We like our meat of any type to be moist and juicy but the meat of both dishes was stringy and dry. We have experienced this at other restaurants where there is a selection of dishes, where the duck is usually steamed and then finished to requirements. We did expect here however that as this is a specialist place the duck could be basically done to order. The confit was finished by deep frying? The entree of duck rillettes I ordered was furnished as duck terrine for what reason I do not know but I did not complain as the lady was so friendly.
Nevertheless we did enjoy ourselves.
Kayte

1  Thank Kaytee33
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Living in an apartment less than 2 blocks away and basically a stone-throw from the Tour how could I not try this gem for lunch! The reviews are all amazing and truly this Restaurant and the Owners deserve the rating and acclaim. I was dining alone and I was made to feel welcome and comfortable as the owner was more than gracious and patient while listening to my pathetic attempts at French and easily conversed with me in Anglais. Had the starter Foie Gras a'la Canard, followed by the traditional Cassoulet - again with Canard, porc and the bean stew. With all the bread I initially ate with the starter I literally had no room for much else ... well except a 1/2 Litre of a 2002 Bordeaux from the St. Emilion Estate Winery and un cafe to close. All in, without the generous tip for making me feel so welcomed, my lunch was under €50 so I was happy given the choice of wine and food selections. Luckily it was a sunny day as I planned a long walk afterwards!

Whether your a duck lover or not you will not be disappointed!
Bert

Reviewed 9 April 2012

It was only four or five years ago that the urge to eat duck asserted itself into my eating habits. Perhaps that is when I started eating duck in France and fell in love with Magret, duck breast and the cooking of the Southwest of France.

We found Au Petit Sud Ouest while walking back from the Eiffel Tower one evening when we saw the green awning. The warm exterior and obvious crowd waiting for tables drew us in. Once inside, the hostess Chantal, who along with her husband Christian have owned and run this restaurant since the 1990’s, greeted us. She is a bundle of energy and professionalism and while she could not get a table that evening we looked forward to coming back several nights later. It did not disappoint except on one level.

On seating we were offered a plate dry saucisson and on the recommendation of Christian, her husband, we settled in to the recommend house wine of the evening, a perfectly aged 2004 Bordeaux (it was a Medoc and yes Merlot can taste good) for a very very reasonable 19 euro. We wound up consuming several. A really fine touch that was most appreciated.

The atmosphere was loud and cordial, people were having fun and it was contagious. I ordered the magret with chanterelles and cherry compote. Simply stated it was just perfect. A large of duck breast sliced diagonally, crisp brown on the outside yet still pink inside as it should be. The duck was accompanied by a substantial mound of chanterelles and a sweet sour cherry counterpoint. My vegetarian dinner mate made do with a salad and a specialty of the house, puffed potatoes. My non-vegetarian dinner mate enjoyed a warm foie gras salad as well.

It was the potato ‘pillows’ that created the minor issue. Oh, they were delicious. And during dinner when Chantal strolled by she asked if we would like some more. We did. What we didn’t know until the bill came is that the potatoes were 11 euro, about 15 dollars, a portion. One order might have been ok, but the second plate wasn’t necessary and we felt that we might have been up-sold. Yet in the end was our fault. Oh well, lesson learned, when a dish is offered to you in a restaurant your antenna should go up. And it wasn’t like we didn’t finish both plates.

This should not take away from the quality of that duck breast. It alone is worth the trip

2  Thank yellowlflatparis
PSO7, Propriétaire at Au Petit Sud Ouest, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Thank you for your lovely recommendation. I m so happy you enjoyed food, wine in our restaurant. I would like to say about the potatoes garniture the price is 3.5 euros and the price for a plate of mushrooms garniture (chanterelle) is 11 euros.I didn't understand what happened... So did you eat some chanterelles ?
My apologize if I made a mistake but I never surcharge when I suggest something.
So happy to see you again in my restaurant with pleasure and thanks again for your kindness.
With my kind regards. Chantal

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Excelent place for dinner, the best foie gras and duck!

1  Thank Willygooseman