“Taillevent never again”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Champs-Elysees
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I have not read any other reviews of Taillevent on Tripadvisor before dining there or writing this so I have no idea how this sits alongside other views and our experience of this level of dining in Paris is admittedly limited to two other Michelin 2 star restaurants.
The Discovery degustation menu for two plus a modest amount of basic wine cost 480 euros. Not cheap dining. the atmosphere was smooth, professional, almost clinical and in no way at all warm...very formal indeed. Quite theatrical in fact.
The meal started with the offer of an aperitif , we asked for champagne and accepted the offer of the house champagne....accompanied by the cheese puffs all was fine. Sitting side by side, backs to the wall and feeling just a little strange at the seating arrangement..?
We are not big drinkers but Burgundy lovers and unfortunately I badly mishandled the wine situation ...after asking the sommelier to provide just several glasses of good burgundy with our meal she was unable to understand what I was asking for and suggested we have the wines she recommended (house label to the end) ..starting with their Pouilly Fume. To my regret I agreed, only to have our glasses refilled several times with their pouilly fume (once through what i believe were our obvious wishes to the contrary.) When they tried to serve a sweet wine which I didn't want with about the fourth course I physically put my hands over our glasses to prevent pouring....and asked quite firmly for some burgundy... Got the house label again...not bad wine. Was never at any stage offered a wine list. Yes... I should have asked for it of course but I was feeling so much on the back foot that I just went with it. The party of French businessmen at the next table sent their Pouilly Fume back and had some very  firm words I didn't understand which produced the wine list and shortly thereafter some red wine of their choice.
On to the food.... What do you get for 190 euros a seat..? As closely as I can recall with apologies if I have omitted anything....and by the way the food service was perfect and the waiter who mainly served us was very nice.

A small compote of crab meat with small delicate medallions of cucumber on top..citron marmalade..nice taste, nicely put together but in no way remarkable
One small Langoustine wrapped  in a layer of wafer thin potato browned all around...very nice...second best dish..can't imagine how it was assembled but really not exceptional or exotic in content at all....can't work out how they did it though.
A spelt wheat risotto with tiny wild mushrooms followed..seriously good, this is what you hoped for , a real taste sensation...best dish.
Grilled fillet of red snapper...well that's what it was..completely unexceptional...a smaller piece of grilled white fish.
Lightly braised duck livers..very tasty with a lovely apple and raisin sauce but very veined. Can you de-vein foie gras ..? Or is that not possible. My wife did it on the fly and left all the veins on the plate ..I just ate them with the burgundy I had finally managed to get.
And that was it....5 dishes..! But for a light and fluffy egg white and fig thing...nice...and a small delicious chocolate cake, petite fours and coffee.

I was unhappy that I had allowed myself to be so managed on the wine front, but happy enough with the food although there was no meat dish at all, and only one of the dishes was exceptional. I certainly would not consider a second visit.

10  Thank Wes45

Reviewed 25 October 2010

We chose Taillevent for our dinner out in visiting Paris October 12, 2010, knowing that it was quite expensive and hoping that it would fulfill our dreams. It did so in every way possible. We have eaten at many of the finest restaurants in the US, and nothing has even close to the quality of food, the pairing of wine, or the incredibly attentive yet non-attrusive service we received at Taillevent. We decided to have their Discovery Menu at 190 Euro each (two of us) and we decided to let the Diane, their superb sommelier match wines with each of the eight courses in this incredible dinner. The five wines she chose were both excellent on their own and perfectly matched to the food. The service was unlike anything we've ever experienced anywhere. The staff was at our side instantly when it was time to serve or remove a plate. They spoke English well, never gave the slightest hint of anything less than an eagerness to answer questions about the food and wine, and were very interesting and obviously interested hosts.

My wife and I have eaten at the kitchen table at Charlie Trotters in Chicago, which was an experience we enjoyed very much and are glad we did once but wouldn't repeat for the money. Taillevent, even more expensive at a total of $944 U.S. before tip, left my wife saying that she is already saving her dollars for our next trip to go there again. We enjoyed a cocktail before dinner and a goodly amount of excellent wine.

This is the best dinner experience we have ever had in our lives.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

We picked Taillevent a our "splurge" meal while in Paris. This decision was made after copious research and consultation with TA. My preconception was that this placed offered excellent food in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The former was accurate and the latter no so accurate.

When we received out menus, I was a bit confused as they apparently handed me the menu of last week whereas my table companions received the actual menu. After we sorted that out, we all ordered from the 80 Euro priced fixed menu. The price was 95 Euro per person with wine pairing which seemed reasonable.

We all ordered the same thing. After a quick amuse bouche, the first course came out rather too rapidly. In fairness, there were alot of business people eating there so I suppose that some of them like to be fed quickly. Our trio, however, could not have been mistaken for such however and we kindly asked them to slow things down a bit as we wanted to savor our special occasion. They complied with our request. A ravioli of foie gras to start was sublime. The broth in which it floated was ethereal and the foie was of the highest quality. This was served with a chenin blanc from the Loire. The pour was niether stingy nor generous. Our mains were the duck with roasted figs. The portion was nice and the sauce a nice balance between sweet and salty. Very good-not spectacular. This was served with a Cotes-Rotie from the Rhone. The sommelier was kind enough to top us off on the red wine during the main course.

The cheese course was a lovely slice of a creamy cheese with nuts and artistically arranged matchsticks of apple. Again, a small point but I have to report that the cheese was served at a colder temperature than appropriate. My wife had the quince dessert and my friend and I had a chocolate concoction which was basically mousse and ice cream- nothing special. We were surprised that no dessert wine was included as this had always been my experience with menus matched with wine. Lastly, my friend wanted a normal cup of coffee ie cafe americano. They more or less said that they couldn't do it until he (an hotelier) explained to them how to do it. Again, I know we're in France but a cup of drip coffee in a 2 Michelin star establishment does't seem to be asking too much.

Regrettably, we hadn't received much in the way of warmth from the staff. I understand the professionalism thing but a smile or two goes a long way with us. Nobody was rude or snooty-just cool. I can't fault the place on the quality of their product and Taillevent deserves a good reputation. We'll probably try Le Cinq or Guy Savoy next time.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

We just got back from a trip where we dined at Taillevent for about the 5th time in 5 years. We save our splurge of a vacation for vacation and have never left with anything but the best experience that one can imagine. The service is sparkling, the room warm and interesting, the food is great ingredients prepared perfectly. Wine service is friendly and good at getting you to try quality selections and regions you many not know if you want. We just love it. If you want, they have the cheaper lunch prix fixe but in the world of top notch Paris and world restaurants, I would say that they are the best value for money as well. If I could take my friends to one dinner where we would have the perfect balance of enjoying food, enjoying wine and enjoying the night together, this would be it. It is not one of those places that feels like a church. It is a place of warmth. OK...enough already....I already sound over the top.

For cons (if one must press for a con), they do not try to be a restaurant of mad scientist chefs and hipster foodies. This is a positive for me but if you ilk is to have a 30 course tasting menu of foams and powders, then maybe you would think this is a con

Reviewed 8 October 2010

a Special dinner turned into a joke at the Taillevent. Food was at best very fair, and did not in any way reflect the standard one expects from a 2 star Michelin restaurant. Then we get to the service ... it was truly a frustrating joke. The proprietor has (and had) absolutely no interest in his clientele, and the wait staff had not the slightest interest in serving patrons. Even a top up of wine was too onerous for these fellows. At the tail end of the dinner, the waiters were so busy fraternising with an obnoxious fellow patron, that they simply ignored our request for the bill. Having had the fortune to have dined in several 2 and 3 star restaurants in France, the Taillevent can be compared to at best, a very average tourist establishment. Absolutely one to avoid.

4  Thank Monthelon