“Perfect Night in Paris!”
Review of Chez Marcel

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 4 June 2017

My wife and I were in Paris for our 35th wedding anniversary and had spent a VERY full day at Versailles (over 25,000 steps!) and got back to our room at about 8PM and easily could have called it a night. But we were in Paris and we did not want to lose the night, So, I went online and found that this restaurant had great reviews as an "authentic" Parisian restaurant, and I called the number to see if i could get a 9:30 dinner reservation and a friendly sounding man picked up the phone and asked my name, i said "George" he said "you want to eat, come on over" and hung up. So, we got our second wind, showered changed, hopped into a taxi and went "over." The small place was packed and there was even a table in the street (is that legal?). Anyway... man named Pierre (central casting) in a white apron said, "George! reservations! Go outside, we will be be with you in 5 minutes!" In no time, we were squeezed into a table next a young couple from Holland and enjoying the somewhat raucous, friendly atmosphere. We let Pierre pick out our dishes (staring with the scrumptious snails), had 2 bottles of the house white and left about 2 hours later having had one of our most enjoyable nights on a fabulous trip!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Location to the hotel across the street must keep this place in business. It is a very small and charming restaurant, but that is about the only good thing I can say. We were seated quickly, and there were only a couple of other people in the restaurant. The owner rushed us from the moment we sat down. The menu was lovely, but they were out of many of the items. I ordered the coq au vin, and it was basically a bowl of purple chicken bones with no meat. The vegetables were overcooked and mashed at the bottom. it was a huge disappointment. My husband and children had an overcooked fish. It was truly an unpleasant meal. I don't know if the chef was having a bad day, but the food was so bad, and it was expensive! I just cannot recommend this place.

5  Thank Leslie R
Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

We booked this on the great reviews and weren't disappointed. Incredible food and such fun. The tables are so close together we ended up making friends with the table next to us. Make sure you visit!

1  Thank Caitriona F
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Awesome experience! We opted for Chez Marcel by chance and what a pleasant surprise!
Very good food (I highly recommend the pork carpaccio), fun atmosphere, amazing decor (you really feel like being in a Bouchon from Lyon) and fair price. The wine of the house (White Macon was maybe too good...so we drank more than we should have but did not even have a headache the next morning). The owner is a very sweet and fun person who took the time to translate every single dish on the menu.
Definitely go!!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Just across the street from the hotel I stayed at, and highly recommended by the staff at Hotel Le Six, was this delightful restaurant. I went my first night in Paris and loved it so much that I went back the next night. On my own, I wanted a place that was welcoming and friendly with great food. The staff was friendly and spoke to me in French and English. The next night they welcomed me like an old friend and I ended up staying 3 1/2 hours enjoying my meal and chatting with my neighbors. And, I enjoyed an end of the evening toast on the house. I'll be back.