“Convenient location, but don't think I'd stay again.”

Mercure Paris Terminus Nord
Ranked #1,138 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
“Convenient location, but don't think I'd stay again.”
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Our room was small and very tired. When we arrived there was no electricity for several hours, therefore no lifts. There was no offer to assist with our bags up two flights of stairs. We then had to settle in in the semi dark. We weren't offered any sort of compensation for this inconvenience. Bathroom and toilet very old and worn, might have been clean but didn't feel it. Toliet seats aren't very expensive and one that wasn't scratched and stained would have been nice.
Wifi charge is ridiculous - who charges for Wifi nowadays? And at 7 Euro per hour.
I booked and paid (?) for our room online and received confirmation from Accor that the room was prepaid. On checkout, I was told it wasn't paid and had to pay on the day - not sure if I'll be charged twice, still waiting to see what happens there. I wanted to check my Visa online and was expected to pay seven euro for Wifi!
The location was convenient as we arrived and departed from Gard du Nord, but I doubt I'd stay again or recommend to others.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank AussieJud3
Mercuretenor, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to reply to your recent feedback and to apologise for the lack of assistance that you felt during the unfortunate electrical shutdown which was, of course, out of our control since it had to do with some road works adjacent to the hotel. Also, I regret that we you were not offered to use the bar facilities where we set up a Coffee break station with free coffee, tea and pastries for any guests who chose to use that facility.

Regarding the wifi charge, I would like to underline that we also have an internet point at your disposal which is absolutely free of charge. Finally, regarding the prepayment of your room, I am quite certain that no double charge was done onto your card, but should this be the case, please inform me directly and I will promptly take care of the situation.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future under “brighter” circumstances and will be delighted to personally deal with your reservation if you choose to use our “convenient” location as you mentioned.

Alessandra Nanni
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Blackburn
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have recently stayed at this hotel and found the bathroom condition to be unacceptably poor. The sealant was peeling away from the tiles, the bath plug mechanism was broken, evidence of mould and rot in the board around the toilet and the gelcoat worn away in the basin.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion regarding your recent stay. I am really sorry that the working condition of your bathroom was not up to standard. We may have some issues with the some units having a tired look but to my understanding they are all in good working order. Therefore, I can only apologise for the technical problems that you experienced which will be addressed in order to avoid such an occurrence in the future.

I trust you will give us a second chance to make up for our shortcomings and please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you choose to do so.

Alessandra Nanni

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Liedekerke, Belgium
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We did visit Paris in April 2012 and we stayed at the Mercure Paris Terminus Nord Hotel.
The hotel has a great location, next to the international train station. The subway is also next the hotel.
The rooms are small but clean! The hotel is a bit aged, but we thought it was charming.
The restaurant downstairs was delicious, but quite expensive..

We had a nice stay!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michaeldhoe
Mercuretenor, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you found our hotel to be ideally located. But even more, I appreciate that your stay in our hotel has been pleasant and that you found it charming.

I really would like to thank you for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

Best regards

Monaco
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I was arriving on a late Eurostar from London and wanted the closest hotel to Gare Nord and as I have some VIP card with this hotel group, I thought mercure would be an easy solution.
Wrong. This hotel needs love and big investment and it could be fabulous. Instead it's just knackered. Tired bathrooms, crack grout, blistered bath and even mould! No lights or Tv as a fuse had blown which was fixed by quite nice staff at 1am. Decent breakfast though. Great location for eurostar. Good place for a suicide attempt as its so depressing. Mercure, please spend some money on this lovely, poor old place! I have had to come to the George V for lunch just to cheer myself up!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Dogontour
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments. I have to say that I appreciate your honest feedback and your underlying constructive criticism. As you well noticed, some of our rooms need to be freshened up in the bathroom area. Thank you for understanding the potential that our property has and please be aware that we are working very hard towards trying to live up to it.

I would be very happy to try to talk you out of any future impulses that may lead you to want to cut your days short and would gladly invite you for lunch but no need to go that far when you have the fabulous Brasserie Terminus Nord right at your doorstep.

Until then, please accept my compliments for your elegant writing not without a touch of irony which, alas, I cannot but appreciate.

Nivelles, Belgium
Reviewed 1 April 2012

It is conveniently located opposite Gare du Nord, so all Eurostar/Thalys connections, trains and metro are available, as well as RER B going to Charles de Gaulle airport. I presume I got a large room as the hotel was far from full (I payed 102 eur without breakfast, at arrival day rate was put up as 120 EUR, and I know from previous times that prices could go up quite a lot higher). Given the location, the press available in lobby is larger than you would expect, in French and English (inluding FinancialNews, which is interesting as quite specialised weekly). Room was nice, large (double bed, table, chair and sofa type, with plenty of space) and looks quite new, except carpet and sink that looked somewhat cheap compared to rest of the the interior. The main drawback is that it was on street side looking at Gare du Nord and it is not a quite street, so I would recommend not to stay on that side. Wifi was paying, different from a hotel of same chain that I stayed 2 weeks before. I had to leave early and did not take breakfast, they have a whisky bar for those keen on something different from the rest. Neighbourhood is quite lively, I did not experience problems however.

Room Tip: given noise from the street, I would recommend not to stay on front side of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BelgianInIstanbul
Mercuretenor, General Manager at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback. I am very happy that you enjoyed your spacious room as well as our convenient location.

I hope that in your next visit you will have the time to try our breakfast since a lot of time and effort has been invested in improving this service.

Regarding the press on offer, we do like to offer a variety of magazines and this comes as a direct result of listening to the specific needs of our guests. Also, since you mentioned the Wifi access, we have just put in place a free internet corner which is proving to be very popular with our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel and, of course, our aim will be to continue to meet, if not exceed, your expectations in the future.