“Excellent value”

Ranked #500 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights at the beginning of April 2012. The hotel is comfortable, clean and a good base for visiting the city. Staff are very friendly and most can speak English, Breakfast is a buffet comprising cereal, fruit, toast, pastries, ham and cheese. The coffee is fabulous. There is no bar or restaurant. Ok, rooms are small, but not as tiny as I had been led to believe by the other reviews. Our room was big enough, clean, everything worked and we slept really well in a comfortable bed. The district isn't central, but it's a nice "real Paris" area, and there's a Metro almost next to the hotel. Once we understood the way the Metro works, it was easy to get to everywhere from Daumesnil, and not expensive if you get a 5-day ticket for central Paris. It takes about 20 minutes to get from here to all the central big tourist spots. This is definitely not a rough area, and anyone who thinks it is should visit Montmartre or some of the more western districts. We came across homeless people and beggars and con-artists everywhere in Paris, most noticeably around the major tourist sites. For the cost, this hotel is absolutely exceptional value.

Room Tip: The lift is tiny. Lower floors let you take the stairs without too much discomfort!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christina K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort William, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

i book the hotel and flights threw lastminute.com for me and my girlfriend .. the information on the site about the hotel led me to believe that it maybe small but a lovely place ..
when i arrived at the hotel i thought i was in the wrong place .. on a street in a town which in my view was quite rough homeless ppl everywhere and prey on those hoilday makers as sooon as they hear you speak english they are giving you notes on how family have died and they want your money .. apart from being near a metro line leading to tourist attractions such as the eiffel tower and arc de triomphe there is little around to do thou we did find a lovely pizza place where we where very welcome .. when we checked into the hotel it was very empty and when we went into our room it was as said very small when looking at the bathroom i noticed that the ceiling sagged not a little but loads .. we was then moved room into a single which was even smaller .. we also payed for breakfast which we never got due to the dinning room being tiny and the hotel is doesnt offer dinner its not really a hotel more like a bog standard b&b ... i will never being staying there again ...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank touristkev
happymanager, Responsable relations publiques at Grand Hotel Dore, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Madam sir
We are very Chocked by your comments and very sad, because we all do our best for our clients to make their stay as pleasant as possible, it is true that we had a technical problem Independent of our will but know that we have not wanted and that each one as we are dependent on unpredictable element, when you came to see us at the reception we have immediately reassigned a new room on the size of the room and all this is subjective as 99% of our Paris hotel standard room may seem small for guests coming from abroad, but quite normal for Parisian who know that size in Paris are smaller because of old buildings.
As for the breakfast you can certainly wait but you had your breakfast and you also have 30 min.in the breakfast room

As for the homeless we are not responsible and I am shocked that you could blame the social misery know that even on the Champs Elysee there are bums, but this is not the fault of the merchant s 'there is but precarious and in these times of crisis one might have expected a little more generosity of spirit more aware that you are not the only English tourist speaker and bums asking for money to the French to

It is unfortunate that you have not expressed your dissatisfaction during your stay and you have thanked us leaving and once you left us and unjustly maligned and free
I'm really sad because I really do this job with my heart and I love people and communication and entertain people but I am disappointed.

Hope to see you to make you change your mind

The staff of the grand hotel Dore and his manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Spent Three nights in the Hotel Dore in Early march.
The rooms are small and you have to navigate around each other but they are very clean and warm.
The bathroom again is small but very functioal with toilet shower and basin all well maintained and clean.
The towels were changed every day.
The lift is very small two people max or one with cases, a little rickarty.
Staff were friendly and helpful, spoke English better than my French.The breakfast area is small and can get a little crowded when the Hotel is busy .
Close to Metro and a few restaurants, although the Hotel does not serve Alcohol there is a small supermarket close by if you wish to buy and drink in your room.
and yes I would stay again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 0923Steve
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Arrived to a warm welcome from the receptionist - we'd read reviews about how small the rooms are and the corridor to our room was very narrow and the room was certainly miniscule. Room to move between the bed and bathroom and not much else! Bathroom tiny with an unnecessarily large wash hand basin so you had to sit on the loo with your legs sideways - a bit awkward! That was the only negative for us though. The bathroom was spotless with an excellent shower, lovely big towels too. The bed was extremely comfortable and I usually find mattresses in hotels/B and Bs way too soft. We slept very well there. Breakfast was excellent with a lovely fresh fruit salad, croissants, pain au choc, ham and cheeses! Although it isn't in the centre of Paris, it is almost next to a metro station and you can get anywhere in Paris from there.
The only reason I give a 4 and not a 5 is the smallness of the room - everything else, fantastique and we'd definitely stay there again next time we go to Paris.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen M
London, England
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I understand Paris is an expensive city, and yes I appreciate finding a decent hotel at a decent price is a challenge. Though I anticipated a small room, I have to admit that I was truly stunned when I saw the room and realized what small really meant. It was minuscule and almost impossible to accommodate my husband and I with our suitcases. I know that when you go to Paris you don't expect to stay in the room, but the size and decor was actually uncomfortable and I felt claustrophobic. I could barely open my suitcase as there was just no space.

We stayed only 2 nights - on our way back from Nice - and i don't think I could have managed much more than that.

The only reasons why I haven't given it a lower score, is that there were some conveniences which I have to account for. Without these, I really don't think it would be worth more than two TA dots. So, if these are important to you, here were the good points about the hotel for us:

1. Free Wi-fi
2. Continental Breakfast included (though limited seating)
3. Short walk to Daumensil metro and close to Gare de Lyon station (where we arrived on our train from Nice)
4. Mini fridge with complimentary water