“Hmmmm!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,443 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
London
“Hmmmm!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Right on the edge of the red light district but close to the Gare du Nord. I must say I do not agree with other's reviews on the decor of the place. Needs a bit of a tidy up, but perfectly clean and spacious for a couple of night trip. The balcony was great and the lady on reception was lovely. We had one issue where they called us as the couple next door had complained about the volume on our television. We had the television up loud to drown out the sound of...ahem...them. So that was pretty annoying. Walls were paper thin and the area debatable. If you do walk the short distance to Sacre Couer then keep your bag close to you. Dodgy area to walk around Moulin Rouge and a couple of good bars are also within walking distance, as is Anvers which is the closest Metro stop. All in all good for a short while but not ideal for a longer trip...if you can just use it as a base for touring Paris.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine_EastLondon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

My experience of this hotel was disappointing. The room that they gave me, room 1, was located beside directly the main stair, elevator and their drainage system. The noises were unbearable and I barely got any rest with all the steps, thumping and other audible noises. The room wall beside the elevator was just a thin plywood. I never felt that I was in a hotel during my stay here, it felt like I was resting on the rail track with all of its noises.

Moreover, the tiny room that I had was poorly clean. It smelled of dog poo. It was pretty disgusting. I was even afraid to step on its carpeted floor.

As for the breakfast, I was just served with a glass of juice, coffee, milk and a small basket with some lousy bread. In short, it was a boring breakfast.

As for their personnel, they were civil enough but they were good as nothing since they can’t do anything regarding my disgusting and disappointing room.

The problem with this hotel is that, they would still sell some rooms regardless if it’s disgusting or poorly maintain. They don’t care if their guest had a nice experience, what they care most is profit.

Room Tip: refuse to accept "room 1" or any room located beside the stair. I garantee, you'll nev...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We regularly do city breaks and this was our first time to Paris. Absolutely loved Paris and the hotel is in a great location in terms of safety (in the area) and sights....It has great transport links as the metro station is about 2 mins away and is in a quiet but lively enough area. However, this hotel was basic and could definately do with a face-lift. When we arrived the staff gave us our keys to our rooms but didn't suggest anything to us or recommend anywhere but they were nice enough (always greeted us). There was no TV remote for the TV and the facilities cupboards in the room looked like the were purchased from a jumble sale. I would say that we had our linen changed and room was cleaned everyday so we were very happy with that. The bathroom was clean, shower was fine and we had towels changed everyday! In terms of the breakfast it consisted of a bread roll and a crossaint with jam, coffee/tea and juice. It did get a bit much after 4days but i suppose it's a good way of getting up early to see the sights! all in all this would be great if you trying to travel on a budget and you were looking for a base but i would not say choose this for any other reason. Thoroughly enjoyed Paris and it is our current favourite city!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nicholasbrennan59
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

My friend and I were staying at the Hotel Gerando for two days this November. Some of the hotel staff was rude, some were very nice. The hotel was generally clean (weird stain on one of the quilts, but not terribly worrisome). I will remark that the shower flooded because the curtain is too short and too flimsy. There was a lot of hair in the drain too that was eventually cleaned for our second night. The first thing we did was check for bed bugs (none). The beds were quite comfortable and the room seemed well kept, considering the price.

On the first night, a Friday, there was a bar/restaurant/cafe that was extremely loud. I was too exhausted to care, but I wouldn't have recommended for a family with young children or light sleepers. Though I will say that it wasn't noisy on Saturday.

The hotel was very convenient to the metro, buses and a quick walk to the gare d'est or gare du nord. It was also located near a lot of restaurants and cute shops in Montmatre.

It was perfect for us, two girls in their 20s, wanting a budget clean (enough) hotel in a fun area. I would go again with a friend or by myself, but would probably want something nicer if I went with my boyfriend or had a family.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leda D
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Nice hotel, cozy, clean and with very kind staff! 2 m foot walking from metro station and very close to Sacre Coeur and Pigalle!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple