Friend's Hostel
US$ 108
US$ 609
US$ 560
  • Fitness centre
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 October 2015 via mobile

I stayed at the hostel for 1 night only, I had no valuable possessions, my own towel and a sleeping bag so I avoided all the scary things people discuss in reviews. I had all boys as neighbors, whom I didn't even see, because I was too exhausted and fell asleep before they came. The area is dangerous, it's very close to monmatre, and you might get robbed if you don't pay attention, but the nightlife is quite fun ;)

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2015 via mobile

Right so you have to pay for Wi-Fi between 18 and 0900. In this day and age it's simply embarrassing to make guests pay for internet connection. If be fine with paying an extra Euro a night if Wi-Fi was built into the price, but to claim to be cheaper with free WiFi and then limit it and charge extra? I call foul.
The hostel itself seemed cramped and a little claustrophobic. Pretty poor security and no lockers available.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank OuteastNL
Reviewed 13 September 2015

My friend and I booked 2 beds in a 4 person room. The reception is not very friendly and also not informative at all. He did not tell us where anything was in the hostel nor advise us about the city. Nor did he tell us that there is wifi, but it is only FREE between 9am-6pm. Otherwise you pay for it. The bottom floor has 1 shower and 1 toilet for at least over 12 people. So showering and #2 might be a struggle. We booked two nights, however only stayed 1 night. The reason being a rat in our room, that tried to climb on our things and jump on the bed of our bunkmates. We told the reception, as he said to just leave the door open. The rat left after some time and went under a door to another room, although the reception did not mind this. When we checked out early, thankfully they gave us back the money for the second night that we already paid for. However, they said my 12% deposit would be refunded to my card, so they subtracted that from the refund. However, 2 months later I have seen no such refund to my card. Finally, this is not a nice neighborhood, really noisy and homelessness all around. I could never recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeterTheTravelr
Reviewed 5 September 2015

Yes, it is cheap but don't let it misguide you. When I pay for a (cheap) accommodation, the minimum to get is 1) clean bed, 2) clean toilet, 3) clean shower, 4) nice or at least helpful staff and 5) a good night's sleep.

In Friend's hostel you won't probably get any of those.

It's well located, even though the area around the Gare du Nord can be a bit shady and even dangerous during the night time. However, the hostel is on a busy street and the metro is not far. Those were the good points.

When I stayed in the hostel what I got was:
- dirty bed linen (and no blanket or pillow cover at all). When I complained about that, I didn't get an apology but at least an extra sheet which was humid and dug from a moldy luggage room.
- no bed-side lamps in my room (4 bed dormitory) so the room light was on as long as there was someone awake.
- toilets were dirty and in most of them there weren't any toilet paper.
- No a/c in the room so the window was open and lead directly to the noisy backyard.
- the staff guys were kinda nice but they didn't provide me with any information (I had even ask where is my room and when is the check-out as I was apparently supposed to know all that somehow by myself)
- the "well-equipped kitchen" turned out to be a dirty, barely-equipped kitchen with no many dishes/cutlery/kettles, warmish fridge and electric kettle that didn't work.
- uncomfortable, squeaky Ikea-style bunk beds and it's self-evident that I didn't sleep much in the hot and noisy room with humid/dirty/smelly sheet(s) and the light on.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room from this place at all!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2015 via mobile

Considering the price, it's quite good. They have a nicecommon area outside and it's conveniently located across from the metro. It's close to gare du nord, so its ideal when backpacking. and the sacre coeur is nearby, which is nice. There are several grocery stores and fast food places nearby. The neighbourhood isnt the best but you don't notice that inside. You can come and go as you please, there is a locked room for valuables and most rooms have their own shower. There is free wifi from 10:00 to 18:00 and after that, you can either talk with other backpackers or buy more wifi. I enjoyed my stay here.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends