“An affordable, comfortable, and waking up to picturesque Basilica Sacre Couer, Montmarte - tgat's priceless” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Village Hostel

Le Village Hostel
Ranked #3 of 150 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This is a simple and smaller kind of hostel but it offers all the things you need at a good price and great choice for budget travellers to Paris. And this is why:
1. We book an ensuite room for 4 and the window overlooks the picture perfect Basillica which is a minute walk out of the hostel. Priceless.
2. Less than 5 minutes walk downslope to Anvers metro, which is two stations away from Gare Du Nord.
3. It is in the Montmarte area and all u gotta do is walk out :)
4. Cheap food n drinks supply from a convenient store just opposite the street. You buy packed food n fix them up at the hostel kitchen n pantry. Being located on one of the shoplots, there are many cheap souvenir shops and cafes around to choose from. You just shop for all you souvenirs here at the end of your stay or from the village over the hill.
5. Since it's a small hostel everything is narrow : lift, stairway, pantry, lobby. But the room was spacious or regular size. So never mind.
6. In a city where it's very rare to find fluent English speakers, here receptionists speak good Anglais. And friendly.
7. No freebies, no towels n breakfast, but not a prob.
8. Speaking of narrow, its quite ok since it's a good way to meet new people.
9. Room are satisfactory.
10. This was my first stop in Europe and i had good memories of it so it was a nice place to stay.

On a personal note: on the early dawn that we checked out, we were served by Pablo at the reception and we had a good fun sharing one of our local song from Borneo through YouTube and we chatted and laugh while he gets us a taxi. Thanks Pablo, you were great fun. You were still chirpy even towards the end of your shift at that early morning. :)

I guess for an enjoyable stay, first and foremost you just have to have great n fun people around you. This hostel meets you basic needs in many ways, and whatever shortcomings are negligible.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank EdwinaEmme
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belo Horizonte, MG
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Ok, french people are known as unfriendly and impolite but what just happened was way too much for me! After taking a look at their website I sent an email to this hostel with a few questions about availability, parking lot, wifi etc and the person who answered it, a VERY RUDE guy named Jean Carlo, sent me the link to their website and told me to find the answers there. I wrote again saying that I ALREADY looked the website and STILL needed some help. I finished my e-mail asking: "Could you please answer the questions then?" His answer came right away in capital letters: "NO". I guess that shows how horrible the staff is, I felt disrespected, mistreated and disappointed! I am a client, I need information before booking and it's his job to do it in a respectful way! I am really upset as I also work in a hotel and I would never talk to a customer like this. In my country, this guy would be fired after behaving like this. I will contact the management and report what happened, I kept all the emails to send them if necessary. Please guys, there are plenty of options in Paris, let's just forget about this hostel and find something better!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Maritje
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

The bedrooms were adequate, the bathrooms, the beds and the sheets were clean, and the breakfast was good enough.

If you sleep on Floor 1 you may hear a little noise from the common area, it is not terrible, but I know some people simply could not sleep with it. I think it is worse if you had someone snoring next to you (sorry, roomies! my throat was irritated with the cold!)

The internet was going off every 2 minutes, which was really annoying, and in the room it was hard to connect at all. If you are here to work, or simply want to call your family to say good night on skype, it may be frustrating. This is the only ugly spot in my 5-night stay.

The staff was nice, multilingual and helpful.

I had a cold during my days here, and had to stay in doors as the weather was terrible, and the environment in the common area was very nice; I made some friends, we shared meals. The small size of his hotel is a good setting for socializing, even if not for partying.

With this said. My next time in Paris I may try a different place, but would be tempted to be back here as the important things like cleanness, safety and sleep quality are good enough for me in this place.

Oh, and the location is stellar: pharmacy on the opposite corner, supermarket almost in front, metro one block away and vélib one block up (I saved some money on metro tickets by riding a bike downhill. There is hardly need to pedal from here to any of the attractions by the Seine). I loved the location. Sacre Coeur is around the corner.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank aavalos
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was my first time staying in a hostel of any sort, and I got exactly what we paid for a inexpensive bed in an expensive city. The staff with who we interacted with were all very pleasant, and the room we stayed in was clean but we had one good pillow while the other one was thin and bumpy. The fridge for food storage was nice and the shared kitchen utensils were a nice touch we utilized, and the morning breakfast was adequate to get the morning started. I usually sleep through a lot of noise but both nights we stayed here I was awoken by noise from the street below, but still it was a good value.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bsheut1972
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at Le Village Hostel for 3 nights in December, 2011. The first two nights were ok, although I thought the rates were high relative to other hostels even in Paris. The third night I had to move to another room, and I'd like to attach pictures as a warning of what can happen if you're not careful with these people. There was mold on the wall right beside my bed, lots of mold in the shower and in the sink area. The access to the room was from the street and was not safe. The door to the room couldn't be properly locked.

Room Tip: Just be sure you look at the room first before paying. These people did not treat me well at all.