“Good Bargain. Very Convenient. A Taste of The Real Paris.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Telemaque
Hotel Telemaque
Ranked #1,679 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Portland, OR
“Good Bargain. Very Convenient. A Taste of The Real Paris.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2004

I am a budget traveler. Therefore, I look for affordable hotels that are clean and where the rooms have their own bath. The Telemaque was referred to me by a friend. It isn't the Hilton or even a Holiday Inn. It is more like an Italian pensione. However, it had everything I needed and it definitely met my criteria. Since I am gone from 9AM to at least 9PM, I only need a hotel room to sleep and bathe. I won't pay hundreds of dollars a night for that privelege. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is in the heart of a real Paris neighborhood and definitely not touristy at all. Food shops abound. There is even a McDonald's close by. The Metro station is a short distance away. The staff speaks very little English, and could be somewhat nicer, but all in all, I was happy with the hotel and the location. Two years ago, I paid only EU42 per night. A continental breakfast was included. I felt this was an excellent bargain.

7 Thank Candee W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Telemaque in 2000. We found it adequate, its shabbiness more than compensated for by the marvelous rue Daguerre. So when our daughter in Oakland asked in 2004 if we would recommend it, we did. We happened to coincide with her in Paris, but luckily were staying at a different hotel. When we went to meet her at the Telemaque and greeted the men at the desk, we saw that the management had changed. She has already posted an account of her experience. The hotel that we had visited has been replaced by a dirty, badly run, and indeed criminal establishment.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Oakland, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2004

My partner and I had a terrible time at this hotel, where we stayed from May 31st to June 4, 2004.

First of all, the hotel amenitites were VERY meager--we had no hot water one day, sheets were never changed, the drinking glass in our room was badly cracked, the toilet leaked, breakfast consisted of one small thin piece of bread, etc.

But much more seriously, I accidently left my ATM card in the room after using it over the phone. When I came back the next evening, my card was gone; I soon found out that over $1600 had been charged on it (it's the kind of ATM w/ a credit card). Additionally, cash was stolen from the room. The door had been dead-bolted all day. Clearly, the hotel had robbed us. The people who clean the rooms are the same people who staff the front desk, so there was a general creepy feeling that everyone who worked there was in on it, and that we had no recourse (though I did attempt to speak to one man at the desk).

Clearly, we should have been more careful, but that doesn't excuse their theft.

We filed a police report at the police station down the street, and vowed to spread the word that Hotel Telemaque is NOT worth it.

7 Thank Noemi S
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2004

We stayed at the Telemaque for a week in October 2000. We booked a triple room, which was exceedingly tight, but it would be fine for two.
Room was clean, breakfast good, service just OK. But it was the price and the location which made it a memorable stay. Rue Dagerre is wonderful, with good cheap restaurants abounding, shops and markets of all types, and the best boulangeries! We would go back!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member