Port-Royal Hotel
US$ 185
US$ 447
US$ 396
  • Room Service
Hotel Vice Versa(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$ 152
getaroom.com
US$ 514
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewsles gobelinsmetro stoplots of restaurantsnotre dameshowerfrenchensuitecatacombsbistros
Reviewed 12 November 2011

If you're looking to experience a "vrai" (true) Parisian hotel on a budget, this is it. As an American (Texan, no less) who lived in Paris for a short time, I can assure you it is American-standard-amenities approved and for a very budget-friendly price. However, if you want to really experience Paris and save even MORE money, get a room without the ensuite shower and traipse down the hall with your towel, shampoo, soap & coins to take a shower. It's really not as bad as it sounds. You might actuallly meet some nice folks while waiting! But seriously, I've stayed here, my parents, grandparents & uncle have stayed here and now a co-worker that I recommended it to have all enjoyed their stay here. My co-worker actually experienced just how thin the walls were when lodging next to a young, "active" couple, but hey - welcome to Europe! Learn to embrace a different culture & enjoy it! We could all use a little time outside our own boxes. The location is sublime (recommend walking up Ave des Gobelins to Rue Mouffetard and enjoying a slow stroll up the hill to the Pantheon and then down the hill to the Jardin du Luxembourg (garden). Ahhh-mazing. Truly. Not to be missed. Enjoy your stay! You won't find a better situated, cleaner, more comfortable, budget-friendly hotel in Paris.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank Ellen S
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was a great find. We had a twin room with ensuite. The place was spotless and the staff (including those cleaning the rooms) were lovely - very polite, kind and helpful - they even tolerated my terrible French :)

This is a budget hotel, but one I would definitely recommend. It was very clean, and comfortable. (No shampoo so bring your own). Of course, do not expect down-filled duvets, Egyptian cotton sheets and breakfast in bed....but this was perfect for the traveler out-and-about all day who just wants a decent place to rest their head.

The Gobelins stop on the metro became very familiar to us - line 7 is perfect for most tourist places you will want to see. Lots to eat in the neighbourhood - you will not go hungry. Oh, try La Creperie the other side of MacDonalds. We liked it there - a cute couple run it and we had a lovely meal there.

I would definitely stay here again and fully recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blueskydreamer
Reviewed 6 November 2011

This place came recommended by a friend, and I am pleased I took her advice. The room was not huge but well appointed with a shower en suite bathroom. If people have their French doors open, voices can carry on the night air across the courtyard making it a little noisy though you hear no traffic noise if you have an inner room. The wifi is limited to certain parts of the reception area which is a little painful when you need quick Internet access. The breakfast on offer was not that good so I would suggest you try one of the reasonably priced pavement cares and eat like the Parisiens do.

The location is perfect for accessing the city - nice meandering walk, or at least 3 options for the metro and train. Their are also loads of lovely cafes and restaurants within in a short walk from the hotel and their is a small supermarket just across the road.

Room Tip: Try and get an inner room overlooking the courtyard to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank EJTH
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I stayed 6 nights at this great little hotel. I had booked months in advance and worked hard with my French dictionary to explain that I had arthritis and that stairs were difficult for me, that I wanted a room with a shower.
They provided me with the room of my dreams! The shower and toilet had hand rails. I was on the main floor, so no stairs. The room was clean and comfortable, with a single bed, small closet and a table and chairs. No food is permitted in the room which is fine because there are marvelous restaurants nearby. Sidewalk cafe's how lovely even in the rain.

The first day I went out for breakfast, but after that I stayed at the hotel and though I'm usually a person who eats whole grains etc. I found myself delighted with the white baguettes with butter and jam and I always had cafe au lait. which is a small jug of freshly made coffee and another jug of hot milk. All to be savoured in a pleasant dining room with a window into the courtyard.

On the walls in the main areas of this little gem of a hotel can be found some lovely original paintings from an artist who once stayed in this hotel. One afternoon I was tired so just sat in the lounge area and read my book.

There are many restaurants nearby and if you are in Paris, well good food is a good part of what it is all about. MacDonald's is across the street but who wants a big Mac when you can have smoked salmon, or duck or a crepe etc.

The Metro system in Paris is absolutely wonderful, but you do need to be prepared to do stairs, and lots of them. Oprah says there are no fat people in Paris. I know why. Its the Metro! Who would drive a car when this is so convenient. Just walk and do stairs. I took my cane and managed very well. If you buy a carne of tickets that's 10 tickets and will take you most places in Paris. If you want to go to Versaille on the RER that will be more.

I had taken the train from London St Pancras to Paris Gar du Norde and took the Metro to the hotel. The hotel gave me the information I needed to get there and again provided me with the necessary information to take the RER to the Charles de Gaulle Airport when it was time to leave. Just take the 91 bus to the Port Royal RER station. I think it was about 9 Euros on the RER out to the airport. There are 2 airport stops so be careful to check where you are going beforehand.

The only negative was figuring out about how to pay cash. Unfortunately for me I booked at a time when my own country had a postal strike so the only way I could reserve my room was by a bank transfer.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Ruth C
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Port-Royal Hotel is ultra-budget (41 euro/night for a single) with the most expensive room being 89 euro. It’s also ultra-clean, a little grandma hotel as my friend calls it due to its old-fashioned décor. My room was small but charming; bed was fairly comfortable, cozy & toasty with a heater and plenty of blankets to keep you warm.

Negatives
The downside was during the transit strike I had trouble getting reliable info on the strikes. The only exception was Simon, the night clerk, who helped me find someone to share a taxi with back to the airport (my share was 26€, not too bad, about $38). Also, I didn't get most of my messages. Friends told me they called for me a BUNCH of times but always was told I was out, yet I was never told I'd had phone calls (except for from Simon).

Other problems I experienced included being charged for an extra breakfast & for shower tokens! Tokens are 2.50€ for 5 minutes' worth of showering. Of course, I'm a French hotelier's worst nightmare as I'd easily want at least 20 minutes' worth so that'd be a 10€ shower! I just showered at the in-room sink. In their defense, though, Mme Claudine deducted the charges (after speaking to 4 people about this before gaining satisfaction).

Breakfast is 5.50 euro but with all the excellent surrounding bakeries I wouldn’t bother with breakfast here. Besides it consists only of tartine (sliced baguette), butter, jam, and coffee.

Positives
Rue Mouffetard, one of the most famous and best of the street markets in Paris, is just a few blocks away. Walk north 2-3 blocks on avenue de Gobelins and you'll find yourself at the bottom of rue Mouffetard where Eglise St-Medard sits.

Man, there's EVERYTHING close by! If you wish to stay in a typical Parisian neighborhood with few tourists this would be the place!

It's in a great spot with:
• several bakeries
o Sadaharu Aoki's patissierie is 3 blocks west at 56, bd Port-Royal (corner of rue Flatters). It's one of the newer pastry shops in Paris garnering a great deal of buzz over his green tea (macha) madeleines
o There's a nice little bakery across the street that has excellent almond croissants (sugar doughnuts are a bit dry)
• grocery store across the street
• at least 4 movie theaters within 5 mins walk including Cinéma Escurial across the street
• several great little restaurants:
o Le Languedoc
o Au Petit Marguery
o nice brasserie across the street, L'Interlude, where I dined on the most fabulous dinner of boeuf bourguignon, haricots vert and carafe of wine
• cafés
• banks (ATMs)
• dry cleaners and Laundromat
• McDonald's just across the street (if that's your thing)
• Great intersection with many transportation choices:
o métro across the street
o several bus lines are across another street
o RER is a 10 minute walk west on bd Port-Royal
o also a taxi stand nearby

I think all in all, I'd stay here again but never again during a transit strike!

Room Tip: They have A/C on the ground floor!! My single room was very cozy and faced the courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo