All reviews room was clean metro station free wifi around the corner street noise booked this hotel convenient location
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Booked this hotel primarily for its location right across the street from Gare Est as we had an early train to Strasbourg. Room was dark and old but clean and warm and check in and check out were a breeze. Wi-Fi was good and we didn't partake in breakfast.
Hotel is adequate for 1 night stay but any longer you'll probably want to stay somewhere nicer. Even all the homeless outside the hotel would probably not bother with this hotel.
To sum it up, OK for short stay but any longer stay elsewhere.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ADRIANPGalway
Reviewed 24 July 2016

We stayed here in 2009 and came back due to the proximity to Gare le Est station. Our trains started from Est and it was a breeze to just cross the road with our luggage. The hotel itself was a mixed bag - lot of goodies but still lacks in sophistication. One of the three reception managers is a rude man (he worked during the day when we stayed) and has to change his bias that tourists are naive and ask stupid questions (he didn't say so but his demeanour is certainly not courteous). On the other hand there is a night manager who was very responsive and polite to us. Avoid rooms facing the street as it gets really noisy at nights. There is an ATM near the doorway but a group of homeless people are always present there and can be noisy. The bathrooms are small and room itself is quite basic. As a previous reviewer said - this hotel is for people who return to the hotel just to sleep and freshen up. Wifi connectivity was excellent.

Room tip: Avoid rooms facing the street
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2016

I stayed at the Modern Est' for 2 nights and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful regarding maps, metro routes and breakfast spots.

I liked that there was metro access just outside the door of the hotel (which helped a lot during the rainy periods) and that the hotel was happy to store my luggage while I continued to explore the city after my checkout time. My only complaint is that it was rather noisy on my second night there. Other than that, I'd happily recommend this hotel to travelers.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Katherine F
Reviewed 7 February 2016

Good location just by the Gare d'Est and some good restaurants close by. The staff are friendly and helpful. We're not talking 5* de luxe but I was well satisfied for what I paid. Very clean and good shower. I'd stay again

Room tip: I had a quiet room at the back, Street ones may be noisy
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin R
Reviewed 14 November 2015

Great hotel for the price. The location is great - a little too far to walk to Notre Dame, but easy to get a bus straight down there. Of course there is a train station right outside the door.
It is a nice walk over to the canal to the east, then walk north along the canal to the Quai de la Loire.
Easy enough to take a bus to the Sacre Coeur area as well.

Date of stay: December 2014