Hotel Saint Germain
  • Room Service
US$ 275
US$ 220
  • Restaurant
Hotel Augustin - Astotel(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$ 191
US$ 166
Official Site
Hotel La Manufacture(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$ 135
US$ 116
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Astoria - Astotel(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$ 152
  • Room Service
US$ 196
US$ 190
Agoda.com
All reviewsla petite chaiseyogurtle bon marcherooms are smallwalking distancecharming hotelstay there againperfect locationcontinental breakfastthe hotel staffleft bankseine riverlovely boutiquemetro stationwonderful staybreakfast was excellenteiffel tower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I recently returned from my first visit to Paris where I had the good fortune of staying at the Hotel Saint Germain. As a single female travelling alone for the first time in Europe, my top priorities were to stay in a safe location and to be close to the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. I am extremely happy I chose this hotel. I felt safe where the hotel was located and the staff were friendly and helpful. This location is an easy 10-15 mins. walk to the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, and the Rodin museum. If you want to do an open air bus tour and/or boat tour, I'd recommend the Les Rouges tour bus and the Batobus boat. Both had stops at the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay, which was really fabulous, because taking either option, I was able to easily get to the other sites with those two modes of transportation. Boulevard Saint Germain intersects with rue du Bac, so this hotel is also in a good location to visit the famous literary cafes within the Latin Quarter. I found two grocery stores located on the ru du Bac, which was really convenient for a quick bite to eat or beverage. The Rue du Bac Metro station is basically a stone's throw from the hotel.

My room was tastefully decorated and clean. Even though the room is fairly small, I was thoroughly comfortable. The pictures on the hotel's website are true depictions. I had a room with a window that opened onto the ru du Bac. The hotel was quiet and peaceful, and even with the windows open, the noise from the street below wasn't bad at all.

The hotel breakfast was delicious and beyond my expectations. The cafe au lait was fantastic and helped me power through long days of site seeing. The selection of bread and pastries was wonderful, and there was also fruit salad, yogurt, and cereal. I looked forward to breakfast every day, particularly bread with butter and honey.

I do want to advise anyone staying here that to use the bedroom phone paying via credit card to the US is outrageously expensive. I wanted to make a quick phone call home, and the first time I hung up the phone before the phone call was placed, not wanting to pay the quoted $24 dollar charge. Later, I caved and I left a one minute voice mail message to my mother. Both the call I hung up on and the second call cost me $50 apiece. My credit card company informed me that the charges were from a company called BBG, a global communications company, which does business with many major hotels and also has payphones located in airports. However, I believe a class action lawsuit has been filed against this company for charging excessive fees.

Overall, I would encourage anyone - particularly a first time visitor to Paris like myself to stay at this hotel. Everyone I interacted with at this hotel was gracious and helpful. I appreciated this so much, and hope to return soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Summer M
Hsg P, General Manager at Hotel Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Bonjour from Paris!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and describing so nicely our hotel fully renovated in 2011.
We are as well very pleased that you recommend our property.
We look forward to welcome you again for another stay that we expect to be soon.
My best regards

Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend in early May 2012 and I can't fault it. The rooms were small, but I didn't expect any bigger for a Paris hotel. It was beautifully decorated, with a lovely shower room en suite and separate toilet. The staff were so helpful, they booked a restaurant for us on the night we arrived and suggested a good location for another evening.

The breakfast which is included is delicious, it's continental but more than enough. We didn't miss the fried food at all! Beautiful coffee, crossaints, french bread, jams, compote, fruit, cereal, juice etc - and lovely hot chocolate too. We couldn't stop eating!

The location was perfect - and I honestly think for the price you pay it is an amazing deal. We couldn't recommend this hotel enough - and next time a friend or family member is going to Paris we're going to demand that they stay there!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor (room 20) and was lovely - I don't think all rooms have a separate toilet and shower room, but ours did.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emily H
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Very convenient small hotel for all the attractions of the left bank - a short walk from the Louvre too. Rooms well modernised - but even in a superior double the bathroom required Houdini type agility to enter and exit. Breakfast was very good. Above all, however, the staff were friendly, cheerful and very helpful - at all times! The latter is a first for us in Paris where an air of haughty disdain for "les rosbifs" seems far more normal.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about the size of your bathroom!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richardreynolds1

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, glad you like your experience in our hotel.
Our main goal is to satisfy every wish of our guest during their stay in our amazing capitale.
Hope to welcome soon again
My best regards

Reviewed 28 April 2012

My wife and I stayed seven nights at the Hotel Saint Germain (April 2012) and by the end we were chomping at the bit to write a glowing review of the place.

The staff were amazingly helpful, polite, and eager to be of service. We could always tell they were pleased we were there and they valued our business. It was impossible not to love Pierre at the front desk. He was a delight to interact with.

The hotel served a terrific french breakfast each morning with many pastries to choose from and lots of coffee (espresso, cafe au lait, etc.) and juice choices as well. It was the meal we looked forward to most each day.

Our room was small but very comfortable and attractive. It overlooked Rue du Bac which is a terrific little neighborhood street.

The free wifi was excellent, allowing us to Skype home to our kids and also to plan our outings each day.

The location of the hotel is terrific. The neighborhood itself is less touristy and more authentic. It also happens to be a higher-end part of town. The shops and boutiques are very elegant and unique.

The Prime Minister of France has his offices just down the street, and this means the hotel is in a very safe part of the city.

The hotel is close to two metro stations and is centrally located on the Left Bank. Getting to any Paris destination was easy.

The Hotel Saint Germain really added to our enjoyment of this wonderful city. It is definitely a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nate H
Reviewed 3 April 2012

First let me begin by sharing my perspective on Paris. I have posted many reviews about hotels in Paris, and I especially enjoy writing when the experience is superb. My 11th trip (coincidentally spent in chambre onze on le premier etage) was a short business stay and religious pilgrimage to l'Eglise de Medaille Miraculeuse just a few steps away on rue du bac. I wish my three days and four nights had been longer. What a pleasure to stay in such a classic hotel, in a traditional Parisian neighborhood, for such a good value. Booking ahead of time, I was able to secure a healthy discount from the standard rate. Each member of the very professional staff responded enthusiatically, politely and with a rare warmth that made me feel not only welcome as a guest, but almost like a member of the Hotel St. Germain's extended family. (Wanda, the receptionist, was as kind a person as you will ever find, in France or the US.) This hotel deserves all of the accolades for personal attention and service written in the Trip Advisor reviews. And in my case, far beyond the expected and commonplace. My room was exactly as pictured, precisely where I wished it to be, and spotlessly clean. My room faced the front of the hotel, just above the sidewalk and rue du bac, and is pictured throughout the informative website..Our hosts take great pride in their hotel, and I can't begin to describe how well I slept (the bed was perfect) and how quiet the neighborhood became after, again, eleven. Are you picking up on a theme here? When I needed several more color hard copies, 20 pages each, for a presentation I was giving at the Agence de Developpement de France, the hotel's very sharp, very cute, concierge, Laurente, leapt to the task at once. When we had some computer problems, a very competent and efficient hotel manager stepped in, solved the problem quicky, with a smile and twinkle in her eye, and made certain I was pleased with the quality of the printed copies. After we spotted that one page had a flaw, it was reprinted, as the French say, avex doucement, by the manager, who also was, as we say in the US, "easy on the eyes.". Back to business now, my copies were perfect.. And there was no additional charge on my bill. Having stayed in other less accommodating, more highly rated hotels, I can tell you a charge of upwards of $50 would not have been surprising. Breakfast was served in two lovely rooms filled with books, objets des arts and antiques. The petit dejeuner was plentiful, of fine quality, especially the baked goods and breads, and my preference for a well made cafe aux lait was met with a smile from the staff, who freely replenished it. I cannot wait to return to this magnificent, beautifully run hotel. It is worthy of at least one more star for the expert customer service and gracious charm of its staff alone. My only regret is not returning to the states with the young Laurente, who expressed a desire to visit the US again!

Room Tip: Room 11 on the first floor works well for one or two. And the bath is newly renovated,
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank bbradyesq
Hsg P, General Manager at Hotel Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Sir Brady,

Hope you are well and had a safe return home.
I would like to express my gratitude for taking time to share your experience at the hotel Saint Germain.
It was a great pleasure to welcome and assist you during your stay in our renovated hotel.
We all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the hotel on your next visite in Paris
Again thank you M. Bradly.
Sincerely