“A gem of a find, with excellent staff”

Hotel Saint Germain
Ranked #202 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“A gem of a find, with excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I am writing this review on behalf of my mother (who doesn't do computers!)
She recently had a girly weekend in Paris and stayed at this hotel after I spent many long hours looking for somewhere suitable for them to stay.

Thankfully, she came back full of praise for both the City and the Hotel.

They were booked into a superior twin room which was on the 1st floor with views onto the rear garden. The hotel has recently been renovated & the room certainly made the ladies say 'wow' when they entered. It had all the amenities you would expect, except it would seem - a kettle. Being typical english ladies, they would have liked to have a cup of tea after a hard day touring the city, but it wasn't to be.
The bathroom was a little small but perfectly functional.

The continental breakfast was excellent and set them up for a full day ahead.

The one thing though that really sets this hotel apart is it's fabulous staff. They were extremely helpful and gave my mum and her friend lots of helpful hints and ideas on where to eat, tips to get around town and other information to make their stay even better.

The hotel was very close to the Metro, which is very easy to use (and believe me, if my mum thought it was easy, then it REALLY must be!) A taxi rank is also close by.
However, one word of advice - as my mum and her friend made their way to the hotel from the Eurostar Terminal, two young women tried to grab her bag, so be on your guard if you plan on taking the Metro to and from your hotel. It would seem, they were targeted as they were tourists, too busy trying to work out where they were going than perhaps being on their guard. Thankfully, no harm was done and they made the decision to get a taxi back to the Eurostar on the return for approx 15euro.

All in all this was the perfect hotel as a base to explore the city and gets a big thumbs up and a recommendation from my mum!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank EssexGirl76
Hsg P, General Manager at Hotel Saint Germain, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you so much for your comments.
Hope to welcome you soon in our hotel .
Virginie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I recently returned from my first visit to Paris where I had the good fortune of staying at the Hotel Saint Germain. As a single female travelling alone for the first time in Europe, my top priorities were to stay in a safe location and to be close to the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. I am extremely happy I chose this hotel. I felt safe where the hotel was located and the staff were friendly and helpful. This location is an easy 10-15 mins. walk to the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, and the Rodin museum. If you want to do an open air bus tour and/or boat tour, I'd recommend the Les Rouges tour bus and the Batobus boat. Both had stops at the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay, which was really fabulous, because taking either option, I was able to easily get to the other sites with those two modes of transportation. Boulevard Saint Germain intersects with rue du Bac, so this hotel is also in a good location to visit the famous literary cafes within the Latin Quarter. I found two grocery stores located on the ru du Bac, which was really convenient for a quick bite to eat or beverage. The Rue du Bac Metro station is basically a stone's throw from the hotel.

My room was tastefully decorated and clean. Even though the room is fairly small, I was thoroughly comfortable. The pictures on the hotel's website are true depictions. I had a room with a window that opened onto the ru du Bac. The hotel was quiet and peaceful, and even with the windows open, the noise from the street below wasn't bad at all.

The hotel breakfast was delicious and beyond my expectations. The cafe au lait was fantastic and helped me power through long days of site seeing. The selection of bread and pastries was wonderful, and there was also fruit salad, yogurt, and cereal. I looked forward to breakfast every day, particularly bread with butter and honey.

I do want to advise anyone staying here that to use the bedroom phone paying via credit card to the US is outrageously expensive. I wanted to make a quick phone call home, and the first time I hung up the phone before the phone call was placed, not wanting to pay the quoted $24 dollar charge. Later, I caved and I left a one minute voice mail message to my mother. Both the call I hung up on and the second call cost me $50 apiece. My credit card company informed me that the charges were from a company called BBG, a global communications company, which does business with many major hotels and also has payphones located in airports. However, I believe a class action lawsuit has been filed against this company for charging excessive fees.

Overall, I would encourage anyone - particularly a first time visitor to Paris like myself to stay at this hotel. Everyone I interacted with at this hotel was gracious and helpful. I appreciated this so much, and hope to return soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Summer M
Bonjour from Paris!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and describing so nicely our hotel fully renovated in 2011.
We are as well very pleased that you recommend our property.
We look forward to welcome you again for another stay that we expect to be soon.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend in early May 2012 and I can't fault it. The rooms were small, but I didn't expect any bigger for a Paris hotel. It was beautifully decorated, with a lovely shower room en suite and separate toilet. The staff were so helpful, they booked a restaurant for us on the night we arrived and suggested a good location for another evening.

The breakfast which is included is delicious, it's continental but more than enough. We didn't miss the fried food at all! Beautiful coffee, crossaints, french bread, jams, compote, fruit, cereal, juice etc - and lovely hot chocolate too. We couldn't stop eating!

The location was perfect - and I honestly think for the price you pay it is an amazing deal. We couldn't recommend this hotel enough - and next time a friend or family member is going to Paris we're going to demand that they stay there!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor (room 20) and was lovely - I don't think all rooms have a separ...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily H
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Very convenient small hotel for all the attractions of the left bank - a short walk from the Louvre too. Rooms well modernised - but even in a superior double the bathroom required Houdini type agility to enter and exit. Breakfast was very good. Above all, however, the staff were friendly, cheerful and very helpful - at all times! The latter is a first for us in Paris where an air of haughty disdain for "les rosbifs" seems far more normal.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about the size of your bathroom!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richardreynolds1
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, glad you like your experience in our hotel.
Our main goal is to satisfy every wish of our guest during their stay in our amazing capitale.
Hope to welcome soon again
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

My wife and I stayed seven nights at the Hotel Saint Germain (April 2012) and by the end we were chomping at the bit to write a glowing review of the place.

The staff were amazingly helpful, polite, and eager to be of service. We could always tell they were pleased we were there and they valued our business. It was impossible not to love Pierre at the front desk. He was a delight to interact with.

The hotel served a terrific french breakfast each morning with many pastries to choose from and lots of coffee (espresso, cafe au lait, etc.) and juice choices as well. It was the meal we looked forward to most each day.

Our room was small but very comfortable and attractive. It overlooked Rue du Bac which is a terrific little neighborhood street.

The free wifi was excellent, allowing us to Skype home to our kids and also to plan our outings each day.

The location of the hotel is terrific. The neighborhood itself is less touristy and more authentic. It also happens to be a higher-end part of town. The shops and boutiques are very elegant and unique.

The Prime Minister of France has his offices just down the street, and this means the hotel is in a very safe part of the city.

The hotel is close to two metro stations and is centrally located on the Left Bank. Getting to any Paris destination was easy.

The Hotel Saint Germain really added to our enjoyment of this wonderful city. It is definitely a good choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple