New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France

Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France
Ranked #183 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Essex
“Great location in Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed for two nights in room 511 with our friends in 309. Arriving late in the evening we had a good friendly greeting and efficient checkin. Our room was a decent size, for Paris, with two small balconies looking out over the gardens with the Louvre to the left and the Eiffel Tower to the right - simply stunning! There was only two issues with the bedroom 1) the bathroom ceiling is low - just over 6 foot high - and hence there is no shower other than the hand held spray and 2) our friends in 309 had a much larger room with sofa, and a huge bathroom with a wlakin shower you could get 10 people in.........and we paid the same price. To be honest we arroved late and the enxtx day just wanted to get out and see things around Paris so I never said anything until we checked out upon which the response from the receptionist was a typically French shrug. Breakfast on both mornings was excellent - good choice with eggs (friend, scambled, omlettes) coming from the kitchen. Overall a good hotel in a great location.
Only other disappointment was the lack of a bar in the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 309 is a good size with a great bathroom facing the gardens with views.
1 Thank robsmith66
, Marketing and product manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Robsmith66,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at Hôtel Brighton Paris. It is very important to us. I am happy that you enjoyed views from your room and the breakfast.

Each one of the Hotel Brighton rooms is unique and has its own setting and decoration. It is part of the hotel specificity and this is what explains the difference between your rooms and your friends’.

I also would like to inform you that a bar will open in the hotel in July 2012 to let you enjoy the lounge with a drink and in a warm atmosphere.

The entire team looks forward welcoming you again on your next visit to Paris.

Sincerely yours,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel is a 2 star at best. The photos on the website are misleading - I stayed in two different rooms and both were far below what one would expect for the high price paid and what the website promotes. I knew I was in for disappointment when taking the funky narrow elevator that barely fits a suitcase to the floor where my room was located. The carpet in the hallways is funky and there are old bannisters that have not been refinished. The floor in one of the rooms I stayed in was on a slant. In one room, the bed did not have a head board. There were no wash cloths in the bathrooms and the liquid soap dispensers were not refilled with soap. The rooms were not clean. The breakfast is totally overpriced. Just go to a cafe or even Starbuck's a few blocks away to get a good cup of coffee and a croissant for a fraction of the cost.

Room Tip: just don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank suedevineafl
Dear Suedevineafl,

Thank you for your comments that help us to improve the Hotel Brighton’s quality of service. I am really sorry that your stay did not fulfill your expectations.

Please let me answer some of your remarks.

The hotel is equipped with two elevators. One of them is indeed very small but that size of elevators is common in Parisian old buildings. We invite our customers to use the second one, which is more comfortable.

Regarding your rooms, some amenities were obviously lacking, what is unacceptable. I would like to remind you that the hotel team is here to help you 24 hours a day to make you stay pleasant or if you need anything (wash cloths, toiletries, blanket…)

I finally have to admit that I am surprised that you did not liked the breakfast offer as we have made many improvements in variety, quality and service this year. Our customers often make positive remarks since these changes. I would be very interested if you could share your recommendations with me by email at c.binz(at)espritdefrance.com.

Sincerely yours,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed for 3 nights in this AMAZING Hotel, with a room facing the Tuilleries Garden, in my right I could see the Eiffel Tower and on the Left the Louvre = Superb.

Everything was just great, the bed really comfortable, the bath tube and shower really good and specially the BREAKFAST was Superb!!!!!

Special thank's to mr. Anselmo who helped me a lot in everything I need, since carrying my luggage and making me a hot and cold chocolate when I asked him. Fantastic.

1 Thank GuiMilani
Brightonhotel, Manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 24 October 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us here at the Brighton hotel.

We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon!

John Rodrigues
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed at the Brighton hotel for three nights in room 551 and were absolutely delighted with our room. We had two little balconies from where we could see the Eiffel tower and the louvre and the lovely tuilleries gardens. Absolutely sensational. I definitely recommend you book at this hotel especially if you want to see the Eiffel tower sparkling at night. All staff members were very friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned daily and even though I had things out on the little desk in our room nothing was ever taken. Our room was quite spacious as well which was perfect for us as I have heard some hotel rooms are only big enough to fit a bed in. The roof however is quite low but my partner could still walk around without worrying about that and he is 6ft 1. Also just a tip I did email three weeks ahead of our stay asking for a room with a balcony overlooking the tuilleries and staff responded within at least 12 hours verifying my request. Thank you everyone at Brighton hotel for making my first trip to Paris such a pleasure. Astra and Simon

Room Tip: Email at least two weeks out asking for a balcony and overlooking the tuilleries you will not be dis...
3 Thank Astra A
Dear Guest,

We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon!

John Rodrigues
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Booked this hotel in confidence based off reviews posted here but that was an utter mistake.... I am not sure how this hotel has dazzled so many. It undoubtedly has a nice location but it also suffers from being on busy, loud Rue Rivoli and amongst lousy souvenir shops. Most rooms do not have those famous views and they absolutely do not look like those depicted on the website. There was a mix-up with booking immediately upon arriving- we requested a room with two beds at the time of reservation but naturally that was not honored at check-in. The indifferent, rude desk clerk (with red hair) did little to correct the situation and insisted in was an error on our par and that we were to notify them in the comments section when we booked. The issue was resolved by putting us in a room that could fit a rollaway bed on E level (E15) which in many ways resembles a basement. Our friend was placed on the fourth floor in a tiny, nondescript room overlooking a depressing looking steam pipe alleyway. The common areas are dismally decorated and in desperate need for repainting and sprucing up- the moldings are damaged and there is a pervasive mildew smell throughout the building. The elevators are rather small and cannot accommodate more than two people and their luggage. The stairway and hallways are dimly lit and during the day they are filled with housekeeping garbage and carts- sort of looks like a college dorm on a Monday morning. Our room seemed to be an afterthought, not sure if it was intended to be used by staff or at one time for storage because it had very low ceilings and NONE of the furniture resembles the professional photos on the website. Furniture was old, mismatched and dented and the carpet was rather dirty. The bathroom had visible mold in the corners and the separate toilet closet had a urine smell from the moment we walked in. As for service, it is fairly lacking...we requested ice cubes from the front desk for cocktails and were ringed back and asked to come fetch it ourselves because the clerk was the only one on duty (which is probably the first time I have been asked to do so as a paying guest.) When I did procure the ice cubes I was given maybe 10-12 since that was all that was available in the freezer. On the day prior to departure, our towels were not changed and when our party of three asked for more, we were given one set. I felt customer service is not a priority here at the Brighton and based on some of the smug responses that management placed on TripAdvisor I am now certain. One would do well to consider a Novotel or ANY big name brand hotel that values its guests and does not treat them with blatant contempt. One bright spot- Mateo the clerk in the overnight/early morning was very kind and seems to know how to make a nice impression. What a disappointment, for 300 euros a night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank BNicholas
Brightonhotel, Manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 18 October 2016
Dear BNicholas,

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion on tripadvisor. First of all I am sorry to hear that you have not experience our usual standard of service.

I do personally hope that you will change your mind and give us another chance to rectify the issues you have had during your latest visit to Paris. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Brighton Hotel team