“Discreet on the outside, florid on the inside”

Hotel Cervantes by HappyCulture
Ranked #478 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Discreet on the outside, florid on the inside”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The hotel is based a short walk downhill from metro Rome. I stayed here a few years ago and since then it looks like it has been completely refurbished. The style may not be to everyone's taste. I would say that it had been inspired by IKEA's catalogue. I got an upgrade in terms of the quality of my room, based in the annex next door, which was appreciated. The service is good and friendly. I arrived early and could leave my luggage behind while i went out to meetings. Rooms are only available from 15.00hrs. My room was well equipped, clean and of an average size for a hotel in Paris, which may small compared to hotel rooms in other countries. Breakfast is down in the basement and is OK, but not remarkable. I was not woken up by other guests arriving, or departing, nor by the internal plumbing which can be a problem in Paris hotels. Trains from the mainline out of Saint-Lazare rumble by, but make little noise and I only heard them during the day. I paid the equivalent of 100€ through and on-line agency which I think is about the going rate.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hertfordshire UK
Reviewed 14 June 2012

stayed here for one night 14th June - was booked in by a company we deal with charged 174 euros per night for a single room - got shoved in two rooms at the top of the hotel that could only be described as cupboards - and ice cold. im 6ft tall and couldnt physically fit in the shower so asked to be moved - luckily i was to a larger room but my dad stayed in his cupboard.

very noisy with mopeds going up and down the road all night - uncomfortable pillows - blood stains on the carpet - about 5am the smell of yeasty bready cooking filled the room - i was on 5th floor - same in my Dads room on the 6th floor. breakfast room in the same room as the laundry and wasnt great standard. probably should be a 1 or 2 star really.

All in all - avoid if you can - the receptionist sent us to the italian restaurant next door - was shocking! luckily we were only there for one night but both agreed we wont stay there again!

Only positive was inclusive wi-fi but then at 174 euros each what do you expect! we felt ripped off and short changed with the place.

Avoid!

Room Tip: dont stay in 67,68,69 or any of the rooms ending in 7,8 or 9 as these are the single cupboard rooms...
2 Thank spencekersey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed in Hotel Cervantes for a weekend in June '12 and we had a really lovely time! The hotel was in a great location, really accessible to everywhere including the Metro station "Rome" which was just a couple of minutes walk away. The area had lots of restaurants, a couple of supermarkets and plenty of boulangeries. We stumbled across a fabulous market on the Saturday morning which was just a couple of minutes from the hotel.
The hotel itself was great. Very clean, friendly staff and on a really pretty street. The room was small but comfortable and provided us with everything we needed. Our room had electric black out shutters which were brilliant as the street lights were very bright outside. Just remember to set an alarm clock before you go to bed as you could end up sleeping the day away!
Overall I would definitely stay at Cervantes again- we loved it :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie K
UK
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I spent two nights here and although the room was small, and bathroom tiny, the location was good. It was about a 30 minute walk to the arc de triomph.
However the staff were rude and unhelpful. The safe in the room was locked shut so i couldnt open it to use it, and when I informed the staff member in reception his attitude was for me not to use it. When I asked what the phone number was to call down to reception, his response was " I don't know" and when I did finally manage to call down to reception to ask for some sugar for the free tea/ coffee making facilities in the room, he answered the phone just by saying "yes" as if I had bothered him, and then told me to come down to collect it (I was on the fifth floor and there was one lift often used and occupied by large crates of sheets by housekeeping)
I have never experienced such rude, unhelpful and unfriendly people. I would not recommend this hotel. It is not cheap, and for the price I paid I would rather take my money elsewhere.

1 Thank shania1234
Houston
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We picked this hotel based on the reviews here on trip advisor. We stayed for three nights at hotel Cervantes before heading to Italy. The rooms are updated in a modern style, but the outside of the building seems traditional French. The location is perfect in terms of access to the subway, it is literally a one minute walk. The staff were friendly and we especially liked the breakfast provided! There is not room service and it is a very small boutique hotel, but for two people only sleeping there and not wanting to party at the hotel it was perfect. The beds were a little hard, but not unbearable. The water pressure was nice in the shower and the place was very clean. The rooms are small, but again, we were not there to stay in our room. Wifi was nice and strong and free which is always nice! The only thing I wish we could have done is check in earlier. We arrived from Houston about 11am and had to wait until 3pm to check in, we just wanted to take a nap so bad, we ended up taking a nap in the lobby. All in all I would recommend Hotel Cervantes and would stay again. Hope this helps someone make a decision!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple