“Very good hotel, very good price”

Grand Hotel Nouvel Opera
Ranked #1,608 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel, very good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I really liked staying at this hotel. I went with my family at half-term, and there are five of us, so we took two rooms. There were three in my room which I think was a bit of a problem, because there were only two beds, so I slept on a camp bed which waas very comfortable. The room was nice and warm all night. The hotel staff were very friendly indeed - they didn't mind that we were an hour late for breakfast because we were on English time and they spoke very good English and were very nice to us. One of the main reasons we went to Paris was so I could learn more French for my big French Exam which was in a week, and I certaintly accomplished that. I thought the hotel was located very well, as it was very near the Voltaire station, which was handy when we were lost.
Slight drawbacks were the lack of hairdryer and kettle - All the hotels I have stayed in have provided both, and one B&B I remember (Riverview B&B in Clifden, Galway, Ireland) had a kettle, teabags, milk, biscuits and chocolate bars. We bought a kettle in a nearby shop called Monoprix, which had very good value.
I also couldn't sleep very well - I would wake up quite often yet I couldn't understand why - also heard police sirens frequently every night.
However, I would certaintly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you choose a higher floor you might not hear the police cars so much! Also, if, for you, tea is v...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brigid M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Close to the Subway station and in calm neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2012
Haifa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

The room itself is small, with a table and one chair, even though it's a double bed room.
There were a few things which were obviously missing or broken that should have been fixed before they let people in: Missing rack above the sink (which was tiny), hairdryer, all the coat hangers were broken in the tiny closet, can't completely turn off radiator so it was really warm in the room. The bed cover was stained and should have been thrown away long ago.
We could only get wifi signal if we literally pushed the phone next to the room's door and it constantly disconnected, even though they have a broadcaster in every floor, this could have to do with our corner room. The wifi at the reception was OK.
The elevator was small but we could fit both of our large suitcases and us inside, though we had to hug to fit (That was the only romantic aspect of this hotel).
The outside street was noisy and the windows didn't help much, when we came back in to the hotel in the evening we saw a group come in smoking cigars and the receptionist didn't tell them anything, so I assume they allow smoking. Either way our room smelled of cigar smoke since they happened to stay on our floor.
Their luggage keeping service is a small service closet and when we asked to put our luggage in there we were told there was no room and that we could leave our suitcases in the lobby and that it will be ok. Evidently, it was ok, but we were rather worried the entire day, especially since we planned on coming back for the luggage and leave immediately to the airport.
the neighborhood and the nearby area didn't feel very safe to us. It wasn't as bad as other places we read about, but we didn't want to walk outside after 9PM while we felt perfectly comfortable walking outside much later on the 7th quarter.

The bed was comfortable and we were able to sleep late like we planned.
The receptionists were kind and helpful and we were allowed to check in an hour earlier than formally published.

We paid 63 euros for the night there, since we had a discount of 10 euros from an earlier booking someplace else.
Considering what we looked for originally, we believe we got what we payed for, maybe if we switched room we would have gotten a better kept one, but it was sufficient for the one night.
We wouldn't go back there, since there are better options in the city in this price range.

Room Tip: The corner rooms seem smaller than the other rooms we peeked in and have weird angles that make the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lin K

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

After trying to find a cheap place to stay for a week in Paris and getting nervous about the prices that were coming up, my girlfriend and I came across this hotel for a price a lot lower than other places, and booked it at the last minute. We were hesitant at first because of the low cost, but when we got there, we realised we'd made the right decision.

It's just down the road from a busy intersection near the Voltaire metro station (with great links to different lines) and an easy walk down to the Seine River and the heart of Paris.

Our room with ensuite was very small, but fine for the price we paid. We didn't get the breakfast in our deal, but the hotel does offer a simple breakfast (either included in your package or paid extra) and the staff were very friendly with directions and tips.

I'd recommend this hotel for its low price and great location in the expensive city of Paris.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dion-NZ
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My boyfriend book this for my surprise birthday present however id i had been involved in the planning we wouldn't have come here.

The room stunk of fag smoke. It was very small and the lift was tiny. Could only fit two people in not good for people who arn't good with lifts or small spaces!!!!

When we come back from a day out smelt like the maid had been cleaning the room while smoking. Smoke smell woke me up a lot. Very disapointed. Good job it was only somewhere to rest your head. Thought it was a bit pricey too and its half an hour away from the Effel Tower.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple