Having lived in Paris for a year, I knew exactly where this hotel was located so had no qualms about the actual distance from the sights (e.g Champs Élysées) unlike other reviewers. Yes, the walk will take about 40 minutes but the tube is close by and buses run frequently to all the popular destinations.
What I was not prepared for, however, was the appalling service we received.
I had read all the reviews before visiting and thought that some visitors were being overly cranky and expecting a luxurious hotel, although given the price, how anyone can expect more than a convenient pit-stop is beyond me.
The first point was that we didn't have a key card for the three days/two nights we were there as all door systems were broken in the hotel.. Not a problem until you have to queue at Reception for 15 minutes behind arrivals / disgruntled customers to collect your key.
Secondly, the hot water broke for one of the nights we were there, which is understandable given that is an old building. What is not understandable is the lack of empathy or respect from the man on reception, and the inference that any problems in the hotel are somehow the fault of every customer.
Mild irritations you may feel, until the last day when, trying to check out, we discovered we'd been hugely overcharged in comparison to the price we were given when booking.. With no explanation, even when faced with email evidence. When I pointed out that we would not pay a price we didn't book for, and that our level of service had been poor, I was shouted at in French by the aggressive male receptionist. I imagine he hadnt bargained on my French fluency and ability to shout back.
We ended up giving up and paying the higher price just so that we could leave - there was another group of disgruntled customers in reception at the time complaining of their bill and service, so nice to know we were not alone.
We shall not be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small hotel in traditional Parisian building near the Champs Elysees - 5 minute walk to subway station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HostelWorld and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Prince Monceau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prince Albert Monceau Hotel
- Prince Albert Monceau Paris