“Unprofessional and rude... ça c'est Paris!”

Hotel de Nevers Saint-Germain
We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel de Nevers Saint-Germain
Ranked #1,684 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Brussels, Belgium
“Unprofessional and rude... ça c'est Paris!”
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Booked a room on the phone with the hotel 3 weeks in advance - with credit card number and all. Called in the afternoon of my arrival to warn that I would check in later in the evening. Was told that there was no booking under my name. When I mentioned the room number and rate from memory (which by the way was higher than advertised on their web site), was called a liar by the person on the phone before he hung up on me. By the way, I'm a native French speaker, so no "lost in translation" excuses apply here. Called back and finally managed to get the person to give me phone numbers for nearby hotels. Found out that both numbers were wrong. Called again, finally got accurate numbers.
When recounting the whole incident to Parisian friends at a party that evening, their answer was... What did you expect? Welcome to Paris!
I'm now waiting for the credit card statement, to see if they extend the joke to charging me for the no show... will keep you posted!

• Disliked — The total absence of professionalism or courtesy from the staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank MamyTromblon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 12 June 2007

We came to know of this hotel after having stayed in the rue de Bac
/ Sevres-Babylon neighborhood several times over the past few years. It's definitely the best bargain for a 2-star in the neighborhood - though prices seem to have crept up recently vis-a-vis what's discussed in the guides.

Rooms are simple and not huge, but they are clean, and ours, at least, had wonderful windows overlooking rue de Bac and the neighborhood. The building itself is charming - interesting exposed stonework - but history & charm mean no elevator, and the many flights of stairs are steep even for a relatively fit young couple. A good way to work off dinner?

The big catch with the hotel is reservations, which are hit or miss. It's a small hotel without e-mail, Web site, etc. and so you are dependent on the integrity of the person on the other end of an international phone line. That integrity was somewhat lacking in our case - when we arrived, we were told that while they had not honored our reservation for the first night, there was "no problem" as someone else was bound not to show up and we could have their room instead. That seemed like a bit of a problem to us, so we ended up at another hotel for our first night of the trip. One thing we found was that the night staff are generally friendlier / more helpful than the daytime folks, so it might benefit you to call during the evening hours.

• Liked — Location; value
  • Disliked — Dicey reservations
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank RJ_LG
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 June 2007

I love the Left Bank of Paris and rue du Bac was an ideal little street to base myself. I had room #10 which was small but just fine for one person and I enjoyed my little private Parisian terrace with street view. However, I would never stay there or at least in that room if I was with another person or in the middle of summer without AC.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank kittykarma
Copenhagen
Reviewed 3 April 2006

Rue Du Bac is excellent and the hotel is a good find in that location. Our room was very small indeed, but fine for a weekend stay. It was immaculate clean and the bathroom was big. It lacked a little charm, or at least our room did in comparison to the other ones I saw, but for the price at around 90 euros, I would definetely go back if looking for a cheap and clean place in a good location.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank CopenhagenFoodie
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2003

My husband, son and I have stayed at this wonderfully charming hotel on several different occasions. It was perfect for us. We had the good fortune of dinning at some of the wonderful restaurants which surround this hotel.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member