“Great days in Paris”

Ranked #285 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Canton, Ohio
“Great days in Paris”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My wife and I began a two-week visit to France with four days in Paris at the Hotel de L'Empereur, recommended by our travel agent. We are both 67-years-old and retired, and have visited Paris several times over the years, but not in the last ten years.
The hotel is near Invalides and maybe a ten-minute walk from the Eiffel Tower. The walk to the D'Orsay and le Louvre was very doable and an enjoyable stroll along the Seine. The front desk and the staff were wonderful people who made us feel welcome and had ready suggestions on where to eat and what to visit on which days (the French seem to close museums on random days of the week, so it helps to verify before heading out).
The only weakness was the breakfast which, even at "only" 12-Euro, was over priced. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but many nice ones are nearby.
We will certainly stay there again because of the staff and a very pleasant room at a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavidandNancy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Calgary
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Hotel has been totally re-done from reading prior reviews. We had a small but very efficiently set up room, amazing view, great location, fabulous new bathrom (witrh rain showr and great water pressure), very comfortable bed and best air conditioning I have seem in any hotel in Europe. Was amazingly quiet when the windows were closed and a great price. Will be our go-to spot in Paris for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the dome are very quiet when the windows are closed.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MEC6
Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel de L’Empereur for four nights during our week and a half long European vacation. I spent hours agonizing over my hotel choice in Paris, relying heavily on Tripadvisor, and we were very pleased with our hotel stay. We weren’t expecting luxury, especially at the great price we paid, but wanted a clean, comfortable room with modern furnishings and a great view. That is exactly what we got!

Don't be fooled by the drab lobby, the rooms are quite charming. We booked a deluxe room with a view of Les Invalides. We stayed in room 64, which was in the corner of the top floor and had a fantastic view! I absolutely loved laying in bed morning and night with that beautiful gold dome out my window. Because it was a corner room, it was much more spacious than some of the other rooms (we were able to peak into some of the other rooms while housekeeping was in them and confirmed this). Definitely request room 64 if you can!

The room itself was clean and nicely appointed. The bed was much bigger than expected but hard as a rock. It was not my personal preference, since I like soft, mushy mattresses, but my husband loved it. When we first checked in, the towels in our room were pretty tattered and ripped. We didn’t care since they were clean. We hung up the towels after use so that the tears would be obvious to the maid, and the next day, they were replaced with fresher towels which we received for the rest of our stay. The shower was a very modern looking rain shower which we enjoyed.

There was no refrigerator in the room, which we were aware of before we booked. Also, they do not allow food in the rooms. We were traveling with special food because of my husband’s food allergies, and the hotel graciously allowed us to use their refrigerator to store our food. Every morning we came down for breakfast and the breakfast attendant would immediately recognize us and pull out my husband’s breakfast food. We really appreciated the staff’s courtesy in this regard.

The hotel requires all guests to leave their keys at the front desk when they leave. We were a bit uncomfortable with this process only because upon return to the hotel, we were never asked for ID or even our last name to confirm that we were staying in the room. Also, there are no deadbolts or chains to lock the hotel room doors from inside. We never felt unsafe – but I always make it my standard practice to put a chain over the door when sleeping and the fact that I couldn’t do this made me uncomfortable. Having said that, I knew all of this ahead of time (from my TripAdvisor research) and I wasn’t deterred from staying there.

The location was excellent for sightseeing around Paris. Many of the top sights are within a 20-30 minute walk of the hotel. The metro was just five minutes down the street. Rick Steves has hyped the “Rue Cler” area as being the quintessential Parisien experience, however the area was pretty quiet. We arrived on a Sunday and it seemed that about 50% of the restaurants in the area were closed. Regardless, we still found the area convenient for exploring other areas.

All in all, it was a great stay in a romantic and charming city! I would recommend this hotel for travelers looking for no-frills, clean and modern accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JennyG123
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2012

This was our first stop on our European holiday and we were very pleased. Rooms were spacious and very clean and tidy , the location was great 10 minute walk from Eiffel Tower and 5 mins from Rue Cler which is a mall and great place for eating. The hotel was very quite and staff very helpful , we stayed for 3 nights from 16th July, would definately recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The hotel is lovely and we had a great view of the invalides. There were plenty of places to get breakfast near by and the hotel is within walking distance of the majority of sightseeing spots. I would recommend this hotel to anyone if they are looking for a great hotel just off the main tourist route.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple