All reviewsbaguettenotre damelatin quartercroissantsbutter and jamwinding stairsa ground floor roomquiet streetfrench breakfastrooms are smallromantic hotelevery morningholiday innspoke englishexploring parisconvenient locationtriple room
Reviewed 6 May 2008

This hotel has no lift (elevator) and the stairs are winding and cranky. They only have one staff on duty at any time, so they cannot or will not offer to carry your baggage up for you. With four floors to navigate, you definitely cannot stay here if you are disabled, sight-impaired, of large physique or you suffer from vertigo. Look elsewhere in Trip Advisor for your hotel.
Still reading? Then you need to know that the place is dingy, dirty and dusty, and in need of major refurbishment (May 2008). For example, there are old stains from hair oil on the wall at the head of the bed (room 17), the bed cover is frayed and marked and every surface is dusty and stained. The bathroom is mouldy.
Although the room itself was not small by Paris standards, I could not towel myself dry after a shower in the minuscule bathroom. Once again, if you are of large physique, I don’t see how you can use this bathroom at all.
The manageress is Parisienne and is very knowledgeable about tourist things. The other staff are not native French speakers and will tell you any old thing rather than admit they don’t know. Beware – you might end up on the wrong side of Paris if you listen to them.
The bathroom and the bedding were clean. It cost 120 Euros per night including breakfast for two which means it was about 80 Euros per night for the room (May 2008). That’s about right for the area but because of the state of the place I did feel ripped off.
And yet I enjoyed staying here... I really don’t know why. Character yes, charm, no.
The location is great. Being down a side street it avoids much of the noise of the Bde St Michel but is in the heart of the city for eating out, touring etc.
Bde St Michel Metro is 2 minutes walk away and on a direct line from Gare du Nord and Aeroport Ch de Gaulle (Take the RER line B, not the Metro).
In conclusion I would say if you’re visiting Paris as a tourist, try to find a hotel in this location for its ease of getting around. Use this hotel if you can’t find anything else nearby. It’s OK but nothing special; just a place to lay your head at night.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MaxCLondon
Reviewed 16 January 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Our room was the first door half-way up the first flight of stairs - sort of felt like we were being led into a storage closet, but once inside it was such fun, with low ceilings and exposed beams in contrast to the huge, flowery paper on the walls. The bathroom was new, so full sized tub, which was great. We didn't have any problems with cleanliness and loved the easy access to the city, quiet street and daily french breakfast brought to our room.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StillWithWanderLust
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Stayed in Room 22 after reading an earlier Trip Advisor review that recommended that room and a Lonely Planet recommendation. Both wife and I happy we stayed there. Basic, clean accommodations overall in a great location, with the following considerations (some of which may apply only to Room 22):

- Great, central location.
- Clean, bright, modern bathroom.
- Pretty, blue wallpaper.
- On the 4th floor, so lots of stairs and no elevator.
- Small balcony, which would be great in a warmer season (we stayed there in a cold, wet November).
- Just a small room safe and a tiny TV with poor reception; not much else in terms of amenities.
- Staff was not rude, but neither were they especially cheery (most importantly, they let us keep our luggage in the lobby after we checked out, which was the only special request that we made).

If, like us, you're looking for a clean place to stay in a great location and don't need all the bells and whistles of a fancy room, consider this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank speed3
Reviewed 19 October 2007

I stayed with my sister at the Hotel dy Lys in early August and found it to be exactly what we were looking for- simple, helpful staff, modestly priced, clean, and in a great location. I was a little anxious looking for a 1-2 star room in the 1-6 Arr., and I did get myself even more anxious after reading so many conflicting reviews of different places online. We were generally aiming for a modestly priced room with the some essentials (phone, private bathroom, double bed) , which in Paris seemed to be in the 80-130 euro range, preferrably in a very uniquely parisienne hotel (no chains). We looked up Hotel de Nesle, but were a little put off by the conflicting reviews, even though the rooms were absolutely gorgeous, and more importantly we felt we could get a better deal (amenities-wise) for 120 euros (at least that should get us a private bathroom and a phone), so we settled for Hotel du Lys, and I am very glad we did. It's in a great, albeit very touristy location (we wanted to be near Notre Dame), in a small side street with very little traffic at night, right smack in the center of the Quartier Latin. The area is littered with touristy cafes and restaurants with over-priced menus and greasy food, so we went into the smaller inner streets for better fare for dinner. But at least we didn't have to go out for breakfast as it was already included- a beautifully crispy croissant (always fresh thankfully), coffee, butter/jam on gorgeous antique china. The breakfast area is actually in the lobby downstairs- space is tight so get down there early (or order it up to your room, but you'll miss out on chit-chatting with the staff).
The staff were friendly, polite and obliging. They locked up our luggage for us when we arrived, while they got our room cleaned up. But be careful- they tried to give us a small, dark room under the stairs but then offered one of the more expensive rooms upstairs at a 'discounted' price of 115 euros, which of course we accepted. We later found out that smaller room was used by the staff during the night shift! We later saw them pull the same stunt on another couple as well. But we were happy with our room, the bathroom had a stand up shower, it was all very clean- the beds were made every morning after we left, and there was a small safety deposit box in the closet. The TV had 4 french channels, but we never turned it on- in fact we didn't spend much time in our room during the day anyway. We didn't mind the 4 flight climb to the room either, except when we had to haul our luggage. All in all we were both very happy with this place, we didn't have any complaints, definitely recommended. Should mention that there's a pharmacy and a dry cleaner nearby.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank merriamh
Reviewed 3 October 2007

Despite many many e-mails and phone calls in advance to the Hotel du Lys to avoid any unpleasant surprises on arrival, I was shocked at the condition when I did arrive September 3, 2007 for a week. Let me say first, I have stayed at many small, old, charming hotels in Paris and prefer that type of lodging to large hotels. This hotel was not a charming, unique place but rather a hotel with dingy, filthy carpet in the rooms, extreme black mold in the small bathroom shower and on the bathroom walls, and the narrow winding staircase with no lift and 75 steps to my room on the top floor , was a potential disaster in case of a fire. There was no smoke detectors or fire escape and I felt like the hotel itself was a fire trap When I expressed how unacceptable the rooms were, the worse part of the experience was the unfriendly, surly, unhelpful , argumentative owner/proprietor who seemed to have no interest in the comfort of myself or my 83 yr old lady traveling companion. .She stated that she did not care if we stayed or not , that we would be charged for two rooms, two nights anyway, and that we would not be able to get any other hotel room in the city as the Rugby Tournament was starting and the city was sold out. She was correct. We stayed as we had no choice.

5  Thank molly200681