“Lovely little hotel, quiet street”

Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg
Ranked #1,048 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We stayed here one night when we had an emergency and needed to find somewhere fast and easy. We knew we liked the area, so this was a quick, easy choice.

The room was lovely, just under 200 a night. It was very, very clean, which is of utmost importance as I am a clean freak. However, there was NO FREE WIFI which is a major problem, as far as I'm concerned. The tv choices also sucked, not that we were in the room much, but it would have been nice to have something other than MTV in English.

The street this hotel is on is super, super quiet, and it's literally a block from the Jardin de Luxembourg, which is extremely gorgeous. Would I stay here again? If they offered free wifi, absolutely. In fact, that would up my review one star.

Also, one block away from the RER, but if you want the regular metro without having to transfer, it's a few blocks up. VERY convenient to the airport, which is actually the real reason we chose it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HeartbreakClothing
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg

Reviewed 23 July 2009

After booking the room myself 3 weeks in advance by e-mail and confirming it by phone, and making sure to request a specific room (on the 4th floor, street-side and with a real balcony, not the 4-5 inch ledge), they answered to me that I would get that room. On arrival day, not only did I not receive it, but the guy at the reception desk was pretty rude and condescending when telling me that I should not have expected to get that specific room, even if I asked for it; that I did not know the hotel business; that in the hotel business rooms cannot be assigned in advance; then telling me - contradicting himself - that other people had reserved the room I wanted before me; etc. I then argued that they should at least have told me by e-mail or the phone that they could not secure the specific room requested... At that point, I was ready to leave the hotel and not pay for the remaining nights booked - even not to pay any night and leave the hotel - which, by the way, would have been perfectly legitimate since they had not complied with their written promises by e-mail (and I know French consumer protection law). I stayed for the remaining 4 nights since my girlfriend did not dislike the room and I didn't want to spend the rest of my stay looking for another hotel room.

I imagine that being a native French speaker allowed me to properly argue my case with that rude hotel employee... which would have been different for non native speakers having to deal with uncourteous hotel staff.

Other things to comment on:
- Great breakfast: self-service and "eat-all-what-you-can". Not many French hotels offer this type of breakfast.
- Very small rooms.
- Generally quiet, even street side.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maxvoyage
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Rooms too small, breakfast not so good

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 April 2009

First trip to Paris for my significant other. This hotel was booked by his travel agent. Our assumption was that breakfast was included in the rate of the hotel. We were told that breakfast would be served from 7am to 11am---so we always started our day there. Upon check out we were charged for 2 breakfasts everyday. Had we known breakfast was not included, we certainly would not have "not enjoyed" their tasteless eggs and days old coffee. Also, don't plan on a shower--no shower doors & the rooms are petite to say the least.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chachamud57
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We stayed in this hotel from the 20th to the 22nd of July and again from the 28th to the 31st of the same month. On the final night of our first stay we asked the night-receptionist to order us a taxi for the next morning to take us to the Montparnasse train station. The night-receptionist was strongly averse to the idea and recommended instead a 25 Euro, chauffeur driven, service that would cost us about the same. The next morning we took the recommended service and arrived in the station an hour ahead of time. Later we learned that the 10 minute ride would have cost us less than 10 Euros on any metered taxi.
When we returned to the hotel we wanted to talk to the manager but the girl at the reception desk would only give us a sheet of paper on which we could write our complaint, assuring us that the manageress would take care of the matter and compensate us as soon as she returns from her vacation in Turkey. She herself didn't have the authority to redress the situation and the manageress, unfortunately, didn't leave any one else in charge. I told her that rather than leaving a note to the absentee manageress I would write a review in the Trip-advisor site and she, without losing her composure or her smile, told us that she has done all she could and it's up to me to do what ever I want to.
Be warned. This hotel allows its staff to cheat you and then leaves you with no recourse to any managerial attention.

• Check-in / front desk