2,687 results
All reviews rue du bac metro great location metro station eiffel tower heated floors within walking distance left bank front desk staff executive room breakfast buffet musee d'orsay st germain travel agent excellent hotel walked everywhere latin quarter yogurt
Reviewed 2 January 2007

My boyfriend (Brian) and I traveled to London and Paris over our Thanksgiving holiday...staying at the K+K Hotel George in London from the 22nd to the 25th (I did a review for that as well) - then we headed to Paris to the K+K Hotel Cayre for the 25th - 28th..

We chose the K+K Hotels because Brian had stayed at the Cayre a few years ago and thought it was great.

Here are my impressions...

We got to the hotel around 4:00 - so no problem getting right into our room.

The lobby was very clean and uncluttered...couches to sit on to the right and a little bar with more seating to the left. Just beyond the front desk to the left was the breakfast room which was bright and airy with again, plenty of seating (I'll get back to breakfast later.)

Our room...
We were on the 2nd floor (204 - non-smoking!!) overlooking one of the side streets with cute little shops (I'll try and find the name.) It wasn't views of the Eiffel Tower, but it was very Parisian and we spent some time out on our balcony people watching. When the balcony doors were closed we were impressed by how quiet it was - it made for good sleeping!!

Furnishings were minimal but what you need - bed, nightstands, a table and chair, as well as a desk and chair. There is a flat-panel TV (which we never even turned on) and a mini fridge in the cabinet below. The room is small, but not THAT small. We utilized the closet and the suitcase stand and we were just fine. The room seemed to have been recently updated.

We were pleased to find a "real" fullish-sized bed (not two pushed together) with very nice (and clean!) linens. The comforter is down and there is a blanket in the closet for those of you who get too warm with down. The pillows are very comfortable as well - not the typical paper thin, rock hard numbers we've all encountered!
The room had free wi-fi which we made use of every day - but if you don't bring your laptop, there are two computers (free usage) just off the main lobby by the elevators. Nice touch.

The bathroom was small. Very small actually, but again, it's not like you spend that much time in there. The counters are granite, the shower is tile and the granite floor is HEATED! That to me made up for the room being so small!! There was always hot water and the pressure was excellent.

There is a hair dryer in the bath and they do provide products - though as I found with the hotel in London, I wasn't crazy about the products and the hair dryer was no match for my thick hair and I had to try it in stages for fear it would blow up! Okay, maybe not blow up, but it got very warm in my hand. I'm sure you ladies will understand...

There is also a small fitness room and massage area on the lower level complete with a sauna and showers. If you are interested in getting a massage, you must book in advance as their hours are limited. You can get a massage on off-hours, but you will pay extra for it.

We didn't utilize the fitness room, though one morning when we overslept, Brian went down there and showered so we could both get ready at the same time...so that was really convenient to have that option.

The front desk staff were polite and helpful. They weren't quite as chatty as the crew in London, but they did they're jobs efficiently and were kind enough to help with directions and suggestions when asked. They did help us make reservations at the Buddha Bar our first evening - which we never thought we would be able to get on such short notice (it was excellent!!!)

The location is ideal if you like to walk, take the bus, or prefer the metro.....

We walked to the Louvre twice and the Eiffel Tower - so the sites are within comfortable walking range.

We also bought a mulit-day metro pass which we utilized to get to Notre Dame (The Rue de Bac station is literally across the street from the hotel.) I must say that their metro isn't quite as easy to navigate say compared to London's. We weren't in any particular hurry so we got on the trains we THOUGHT we were supposed to get on and hoped for the best! Luckily we didn't have any major problems. I suggest if you want to use the metro take your time and study the maps in the station and don't be afraid to ask the metro employees for help - they are all over the place.

Okay, back to the hotel...

Breakfast was included in our rate (which was around 200 euro) so we did eat at the hotel every morning. We found it to be filling and they did replenish the items right up until 11:00. One morning we overslept and got down there at about 10:55 and the staff didn't seem bothered by it.

There are eggs and sausages if you want something warm, or there is the traditional meats, cheeses, breads, pastries, cereals, etc that you typically see on European breakfast buffets. The coffee was strong and the juices seemed fresh squeezed. There is also complimentary champagne (a little to early for us!)

There are plenty of great little restaurants close by, as well as the Shell station right down the street...you could grab breakfast or lunch in a flash for little $$.

The location is ideal, the neighborhood is charming (i'm sad we didn't have more time to explore the great stores nearby!) and we felt very safe walking even late at night.

Oh, and to address the metro rumblings below...I remember reading about it in some reviews before we left, but I never thought about it (or felt it for that matter) until we were having breakfast on our 2nd morning. To me it almost felt like a really big semi was driving down the street in front of the hotel - less the noise. It passed quickly and it really wasn't a big deal.

Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I'm pretty confident that we'll be back someday - hopefully sooner than later!!

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a note at lisajla@hotmail.com. HAPPY TRAVELS!!

Lisa
Minneapolis

11  Thank lisampls
Reviewed 1 January 2007

Our family of eight booked 3 rooms (2 triples and 1 double) for our 5-night stay in Paris during Christmas week. We were so pleased with K+K Cayre and feel that we couldn’t have picked a better place for the price. I asked for the 3 rooms to be as close as possible. Sure enough, we had the three corner rooms on the 4th floor. Our triple rooms had different floor plans but each was spacious. The down blankets were so soft and warm. We loved the in-room coffee/tea service and the heated bathroom floor.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They offered great restaurant suggestions and answered questions cheerfully. I requested wake-up calls on most mornings and it worked out well. I wrote the hotel prior to our arrival to request tickets to Disney Paris. When we arrived, the tickets were waiting for us upon check in. I saw the lines for tickets once we arrived at the park and was so thankful that Franck at the reception desk had arranged the tickets for us - this saved us a tremendous amount of time.

The breakfast was included in our rate, so that worked nicely. The breakfast room to the left of the lobby is cheery and bright – such a nice way to start the morning. The coffee was terrific and the hot and cold breakfast selection was quite good. The mini baguettes and the sugar bread were baked fresh daily, eggs and bacon were hot, and the fruit, cheese and pate selection were good.

As many reviewers had commented before: The metro is across the street, the convenience store is next to the hotel, two computers with internet access are in the lobby, many restaurants and cafes are within close proximity to the hotel – what more can you ask for?

As far as the comments on the rumbling of the metro, I did feel a mild rumbling as the train passed underground when I was in the breakfast room on the ground floor. However, we had rooms on the 4th floor, so it was not a problem for us.

I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this hotel for families. Thank you to all the previous reviewers for your comments which helped us decide to stay at this wonderful hotel.

One more thing – we used Private Tours Paris [--] for all our transportation and touring needs. They were excellent! I will post a separate review under tours, Paris.

Date of stay: December 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank itsasmallworld
Reviewed 20 December 2006

My husband and I stayed at the hotel the weekend before Christmas 2006. We booked this particular hotel based on the reviews of TripAdvisor and agree with the previous comments posted.

We had booked via Expedia ("special rate") so I wasn't too surprised to be given room 114 - I suspect the higher floors were given to guests paying a higher rate! The room was on the small side but no worse, and compared to some, a lot larger than other Paris hotel rooms I've stayed in. The decor was clean and I liked the flat screen TV.

The marble bathroom underfloor heating was delightful and a nice little touch was a nail file amongst the toiletries in the bathroom.

My husband, loath to be parted from his laptop, found the free internet connection in the rooms very useful and also the wifi in the hotel lobby.

We tend to be the sort of guests who don't use much of the hotel services so can't comment on those but the staff were welcoming on arrival and checkout. For breakfast we walked down Boulevard St Germain - there are no shortages of restaurants and cafes a few minutes walk away.

My only niggle was that the first floor (and lobby), were subject to rumbles every few minutes from the metro. I am not sure how high up you would have to be to escape it. Having said that, having the metro a few steps away from the hotel door, was very convenient.

Date of stay: December 2006
7  Thank Lady_Beancounter
Reviewed 1 December 2006

I stayed at the K+K Cayre on my trip to Paris last week, and it was a lovely stay. The room was quite small, but it was comfortable and always quiet.
The bathroom tiles heat up beneath your feet, and the shower is exceptionally powerful & relaxing. I ended up taking 3 showers a day, just for the relaxation aspect...
Major bonus : The Rue de Bac metro station is right across the street, which made for super-easy transportation all over the city.
Another bonus - there's a Shell station located just next door where you can get all convenience store items, and they even have a pretty good selection of wines.
Overall, I enjoyed the K+K Cayre, and would stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank kmuffins7
Reviewed 1 December 2006

We booked our reservation strictly on the reviews from Trip Advisor and their overall scores, and were not disappointed. Their rates were initially too high for our budget, but they had a special rate on their website starting Nov. 1 that was discounted and included breakfast, so we booked that and stayed 8 nights. Metro station and bus stops are in front of the hotel (same multi-day pass works for both). We took the buses everywhere so we could see more of Paris - easy to get around. Breakfast staff and front desk staff were very friendly and treated us like family by the end of our stay. We requested a high floor with a view. When we checked into the room, we opened the curtains and had the Eiffel Tower and skyline of Paris outside our window. Best meals were at Le Petite Chaise (short walk from hotel) and Restaurant Saint-Benoit near the St. Germain Des Pres Church. Shell station next door was great for snacks and drinks.

10  Thank DaveCA