“A thoroughly enjoyable Parisian experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Lutetia

Hotel Lutetia
Ranked #1,008 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
North Wales
“A thoroughly enjoyable Parisian experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Lutetia and had a really lovely time even though the weather was poor. I had read previous reviews about rooms in need of renovation, so I was expecting the worse, I asked at reception about the room we had been allocated and was told to take a look at it, before my luggage was taken up there, and let them know what I thought. The receptionist told me herself that she really liked the room, it is very Parisian - and she was absolutely right, it was light and airy on the top floor with 3 windows overlooking the Sorbonne etc. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was lovely, the Hotel Lutetia offered everything and more as far as we were concerned. The staff are helpful and polite, breakfast is delicious (expensive if not included in your rate though), the live music in the bar is excellent, although the drinks are very pricey. The brasserie serves typically french food in a delightful setting, although again quite expensive (isn't everywhere in Paris though?).

The hotel location is excellent for seeing much of Paris on foot, and is immediately opposite the Sevres-Babylone metro for getting back to the airport quickly.

Room Tip: We had a room on a high floor which overlooked Parisian rooftops - light and airy and very peaceful
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jopwales
, Front Office Manager at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thank you for choosing Hotel Lutetia for your stay in Paris and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel, your room, the F&B, and that the staff brought you satisfaction. We hope welcoming you again at the Lutetia very soon. Sincerely.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
BR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Very nice staff, my room has a view to Eifel Tower, quite at night, excellent location, near restaurants, cafe, Bom Marche, subway. There is always the concierge to help you out whatever you need.

Stayed May 2011
Omaha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I disregarded the "glass half full" poor reviews of this hotel and I am glad I did. My daughter and I stayed here during the weekend of April 13- 16. I had never been out of the US and this Nebraska boy returned to America with a very positive attitude toward Parisians. Yes this hotel is old. But "old like Sophia Loren" old. Lutetia is elegant, historic, charming, and what I wanted out of my Paris experience. If you want a sound proof antiseptic hotel of granite and modern sculpture, this is not your lodging. It was very comfortable, clean, and the location is prime. I loved the bar. I loved the very good jazz that was played every night. And yes I could hear it wafting up from the central atrium into my rooms windows. And that added to the experience. I want to go back, and when I do it won't be with my dear daughter and I won't need two beds. The hotel is very romantic. Thank you TA for making the choice easy for me.

Ferdinando S. Nebraska, USA.

Room Tip: I think higher up and on the outside would be the quieter choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Fred S
, Front Office Manager at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Guest, I must say you seem to have fully understood the spirit and ambiance of our hotel, and we are very pleased to know you were satisfied your stay. We would be delighted to welcome you once more next time you come and visit Paris.
Sincerely.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

If you are an American and looking for an American 5-Star hotel experience, this hotel is not for you. However, if you are looking for a great location and a European experience with many of the amenities you expect, stay at the Hotel Lutetia.

A friend of mine recommended this for a recent stay in Paris with one of my children. I have to admit that I was hesitant since previous experiences with French hotels were less than stellar... I found the rooms small, the lighting poor and the bathrooms not particularly pleasant (I know it's American of me, but I just hate that glass half-partition in the tub that never does a good job of keeping water in the tub and off the bathroom floor!).

Our room was very large, as was the closet and bathroom... and I particularly appreciated the fact that there was a glass-enclosed shower in addition to a tub. There were two sinks and a wide swath of counterspace. The amenities were excellent and a generous size, the lighting was good and, thoughtfully, a lighted magnifying mirror.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and had a broad selection of cooked food, e.g, eggs, sausage, bacon as well as meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, etc.

In the evening the lounge/bar off the lobby had a terrific band, in the style of Stephane Grappelli (it doesn't get any better!).

Perhaps the most stellar aspect was the staff - each staff member I dealt with was fantastic... clearly the hotel spends a great deal of time, effort and training on customer service and it shows.

One additional note: if you stay here don't miss a visit to the Hermes boutique around the corner - it is in the space that was formerly the pool for the hotel. They've had to keep many of the features, e.g, railings, due to landmark requirements and in addition to this making it special, hats off to Hermes for creating an amazing space with wooden structures made in Mongolia.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on Rue du Raspail you will have a partial view of the Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine H
, Front Office Manager at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Christine, Thank you for choosing Hotel Lutetia during your stay in Paris, and for posting this review about your experience. It seems you have totally understood the essence and the spirit of the place and we are very pleased to see it has satisfied you. We will transmit your positive feedback to our staff who would be very happy to have you once more amongst our guests. Best regards.
brussels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

stayed here last night. room key did not work in first room. had to change room in middle of the night as the neighbours had very loud fun. wall not very thick.... second room the key again did not work.... shower cord was to short for me - 6 foot 1. curtains do not block out light. breakfast room was full of tourists, showing me clearly who the target group was. would not return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Front Office Manager at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Guest. Many thanks for choosing the Lutetia and for sharing your stay experience on TripAdvisor. We are very sorry to read you were disappointed by the room and its bathroom. It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again and show you the brighter side of our hotel, by finding a room that suits you better. Sincerely.