“Great Stuff”

Hotel du Danube St. Germain
Ranked #677 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is as good a location as you can get in Paris as it is centrally located with all the major sites walkable within half an hour. There are many bars and restaurants around the area and there is much to do.
The hotel itself is nice enough with comfortable beds and it is clean. The lift is a bit dated and some of the wallpaper bright but the staff were helpful.
Ultimately the hotel is a friendly centrally based comfortable quiet hotel in Paris and I would use it again.

Room Tip: If you are infirm make sure you are not on the sixth floor as the old lift only goes to the fifth fl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harry T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel in May, 2012. The hotel is centrally located to many of the best sights in Paris. It is in the middle of a very nice part of St. Germain. Good restaurants are everywhere. It is within quick walking distance of the Seine (5 mins), Orsay (10 mins), Louvre (15 mins), Notre Dame (20 mins), Luxembourg Gardens (15 mins), St. Sulpice (5 mins). Most importantly, it is less than 5 mins from the St. Germain metro. Good boulangeries are close by. There is a cafe right next door that serves decent coffee. The hotel offers a breakfast for $12 euros that we did not use given the abundance of cafes and boulangeries nearby.

The rooms are clean and decently sized. The bathrooms were just fine. The room was very quiet at night - no street noise or noise from other rooms.

The staff was exceptional. They all spoke english. They were extremely helpful in all respects. We utilized their help making dinner reservations, which was a lifesaver. They called cabs, gave us good advice, etc. You couldn't ask for nicer, more helpful people.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I would avoid staying on the 6th floor. The elevator only goes up to 5, then you have to walk up a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chuck B
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I spent 5 delightful days here (room 20). My wife had seen the hotel on a prior trip and thought it looked cute. Our room was on the streetside, but on the 5th floor AND with double windows. We did not notice street noise. The room was plenty large, room for a small table and chairs (where we could have baguette and cheese). (I was pleasantly surprised thoughout France that the beds were firm and comforable.) Bath was ample and modern. Staff was friendly (one woman had the French reserve, but warmed when you spoke with her). Elevator is small (that's what you get in smaller Paris hotels). Location can't be beat -- 2-3 blocks from the Seine and across it to the Louvre. 2 block to the heart of Saint Germain. Free wifi worked like a charm (you just get the code from the front desk; it changes every 3 days or so).

An interesting side note. On the building next door there is a rather nondescript plaque, probably 18 in x 18 in (1/2 m. x 1/2 m.) Roughly translated it says, on this spot in 1783 the representative from England and Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin for the United States signed the Treaty of Paris giving the United States its independence! Apparently, the event does not rate much more in the Pantheon of history that abounds in Paris.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank adventuresincrazydad
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Upon arrival reception did NOT have our reservation, which we'd made directly through the hotel, but we were upgraded for free to a larger room, which was all they had. We only spent one night before flying home, but the staff was very friendly and willing to help make arrangements to the airport. We wish we had more time there - great hotel, great location. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard or garden are quiet. Very little noise despite sold-out hotel a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I was booked into this hotel on a work-related visit to Paris by my hosts, because of its convenient location for getting to my meetings. Check-in was smooth, and the room I stayed in (Comfort) was lovely with beautiful frames and wallpaper, and furniture which went perfectly with the historic feel of the hotel. The amenities in the room were very modern. The bathroom had a full-size bath with shower (which was excellent!), a hair dryer and a heated towel rack. There was a separate toilet, and a decent sized wardrobe with an electronic safe. In-room wifi was free, to access it I was given a username and password when I checked-in and it worked without any issues for the two days and nights that I stayed there. Breakfast was continental, and satisfactory.

The location of this hotel in Saint-Germain-des-Prés is just fabulous. It is literally steps away from buzzing streets, but actually fairly quiet and peaceful in its location. It's close to Rue de Buci, Rue de Saint-André des Arts and Boulevard Saint-Germain. The streets around are packed with boutique stores and cafes, and some of the best sights of London are also very close by. On my last day, I checked out in the morning and the front office was happy to keep my luggage while I shopped ahead of my afternoon train out from Paris. For those who are in Paris to shop, don't miss Rue du Dragon and Rue du Cherchez-Midi which are about a 10-min walk away and lined with great boutique clothes and shoe stores.

When I returned, the gentleman at the front office was very cheerful and we had some friendly banter while I waited for my cab (which he called). Overall, nothing negative at all to report about this charming, friendly and great value hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business