“Madjid Saves the Day - and the hotel is FANTASTIC!”

Grand Hotel Saint-Michel
Ranked #201 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 14 April 2012

To make a long story short, Madjid worked a miracle and got us into the Grand Hotel Saint-Michel when our original place turned out to be a disaster. Not only is the hotel wonderfully located and beautiful, the staff are gracious, helpful, and pleasant. Hats off to Madjid, though, who made everything possible and helped us out more times than I can count.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank fredye h

Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel was lovely - well appointed - but for how our visit went, I would not rate it above a three star and would say it was highly overpriced. First, many will say the rooms are small. Normally this does not bother me at all. Rooms in Europe are small. You deal with it. Also, these rooms are decorated in a lovely way and very modern and as efficient as they can be. However - I don't like having the toilet in a closet on one side of the room and the shower and sink in a closet on the other side. When going to the bathroom, you have to then open the one door, cross the room, and go wash your hands in the other closet. ICK.

The beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was fine but NOT included and priced at an extremely hefty 20 Euros. Do yourself a favor and walk a block and grab coffee and croissants around the corner for 3 Euros. Delicious.

What really brought the star rating down was the technical service. First the wifi is completely horrible and totally unreliable. It was always going out - and I see this is a regular problem from other posts. We were there for business - and they cater to business travelers. A hotel like that MUST have reliable wifi and these folks just don't. They were very unsympathetic to the issues. Further, our safe broke twice. It just would not open. They seemed to imply at first that we broke it. Um. No. Then, after the second time I was told that I had to be present for them to open it, and it could only be done by one person in the afternoon, but before 5. So - on my one tour day in Paris, I had to come back to the hotel in the middle of the afternoon so they could open the safe to get my passports etc. Then I was told to not close it/use it again and was offered no alternative on where to store my valuables. Such a shame their service was so lacking there.

The folks that work there are nice enough. The area is very convenient (though many many students as directly across from Sorbonne). A very short stroll to the wonderful Luxembourg gardens and an easy distance to the Seine, St. Germaine, and a number of metro stops (bonus- the train from the airport stops a block from the hotel without any station changes).

In short - for what it costs, I suppose you are really paying for location, because other than a very comfy bed, and generally nice fixtures - nothing else (like breakfast, security, internet) really seemed to live up to the price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank caringmom
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Excellent service. staff and location. Rooms were also very good and breakfast was included in the price which is rare in Paris

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My husband and I did a brief 3 day trip to Paris in September 2011, we found the GHSM online and alreayd online we knew it was going to be better than most hotels we had looked at. It was a 4 star that actually had a shower! Which from research I had found to be rare in Paris.
The hotel staff were very efficient and super friendly. There was not a request made that could not be answered, their understanding of English was fantastic.
We stayed in a Classic room, they were the cheapest, and they were small yes, cramped, I would not say so much, but we have never really minded small spaces, but let's face it... it's Paris. The days are spent out in the sun, walking around and sight seeing. The size of the room was not a problem for us.
The bathrooms were super funky and comfortable and the hotel is clean, the reception is beautifully decorated. As far as location is concerned, this hotel is perfect, in the heart of the Latin Quarter, and very close to the Notre Dam, about a 10min walk, and also to the Louvre (stunning) about a 15min walk. And from there cabs are easy to get, or you can just walk everywhere, like we did.
I can also highly recommend the "Gratinated Onion Soup" on their room service menu! We actually had it both nights we were there, it was that good!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SnowFairySugar
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Coming to Paris for the first time, this hotel (and the welcoming staff) make my visit as lovely as it can be. Beautiful neighborhood, welcoming attentive staff, warm decorated rooms are what I have encountered during my stay. Don't miss the opportunity to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple