“It's really 3.5 stars, but they were so sweet...”
Review of Restaurant Sheger

Restaurant Sheger
Ranked #4,774 of 19,399 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$ 16 - US$ 19
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Reviewed 24 November 2017

I wanted to love this little spot. The service was welcoming, and I wish only the best for them.
What I liked: the service was welcoming. The meat dish with grilled onions was outstanding. The sponge-bread was some of the best I've had. My friend's homemade juice was lovely.
What I didn't like so much: the levels of onion and vigaigre in the salad were excessive, and made it inedible. The fish dish was OK, not great. The sides were not very hot. A bit pricy for what we got.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Overall a very pleasing experience. Good food, Decent portion (the waitress even asked if an additional serving is needed without that I was asking). Friendly service.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 22 July 2016

Ridiculously small portion, compared to other Ethiopian restuarents in Paris...
Very High price for the food..
Expensive desserts...
Baklawa for 6Euro, not worth it.!!
6 Euro..for 6 pieces of Ananas...in which world !

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Davido F
Reviewed 8 May 2016

We were staying in the area and just wanted a restaurant we could stroll to for our first evening in Paris. As we like Ethiopian food but rarely have chance to eat it, the Sheger seemed to offer what we needed. The name is a little unfortunate for British people given the association to a stolen famous racehorse.

The restaurant is located down a little street just off the main drag and consists of one room with perhaps a dozen seats and a couple of outdoor seating in the alley outside. We were pleased to find it had a table for the five of us.

The menu was fine with a good veggie choice. Most people seem to go for the set three courses at 25 Euro, but having enjoyed a substantial lunch one course seemed to do it. I chose the mixed meat plate, with five different salads and meat stews served on a bed of spongy bread, a little like an Indian doza but with the substance and feel of a wet dish cloth. Little bottles of beer were 4.50 Euro. One of our party on a detox kick had quite a wait for her five euro bottle of mineral water - it was a large one, but felt pricey. The service was fine but a bit disinterested; the food came it was plonked down.

Although we ordered different things our meals arrived on a large platter for three and a veggie platter for two. Ethiopian dining is a shared experience and conducted without cutlery. The food was pleasant and quite spicy tasty, but there wasn't that much stew. The chicken was on the bone and two legs. The lamb was off the menu. The salads were nice.

The venue itself was quite plain and the noise of the extractor fan was a constant irritant in the background. It wasn't particularly the restaurants fault but the diners on the next table were loud and of the "lost in finding themselves" variety; an earnest discussion of a friends overdose and a new drug to partake in, and some very loud excited discussion about a recording studio. I wouldn't mind but I doubt any of the party were under 40. The tables were close together and they stank of smoke after their frequent fag breaks. To be fair, they had asked for a table outside but they were full.

Summing up, the place was fine and of the paper tablecloth and plastic top variety. I would have welcomed a wet wipe for my fingers, and it seemed there was a little lack of interest in the food serving. I would normally expect that the prices of a place like this would have been rather lower as it was not fine dining or particularly good quality food. As it was there are plenty of other nicer looking places at this price range.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 30 March 2016

The service friendly nice but very slow even as we were the only two people in the restaurant. Meaning we waited for ten minutes to get a menu and the water I ordered only came after a reminder when the food was served. The food in contrast took only five minutes to be made, for being heated up from a tupperware and served lukewarm. My portion was a handfull of meat in a very delicious sauce. My girlfriend got about three tablespoons of lentilles in an ok tasting sauce, nothing special. Sides were each about one to two tablespoons of rather bland vegetables (I got 3 sides, my girlfriend got 5). This would all be fine with me had we paid no more than 12 Euros together. But I paid 15 and the two tablespoons of lentilles were priced at 16 Euros.
So if you are willing to pay a lot in order to eat little but well tasting food with your hands, it's the right place to visit.

Date of visit: March 2016